From: redtitanx@gmail.com (RicklesP)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Videos & fixed images not displaying in SM
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:54:21 +0000
 by: RicklesP - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:54 UTC

We have 4 different PCs (all Windows, assorted versions of SM, assorted
extensions loaded on each) that are exhibiting the same issue: fixed and
video thumbnail images aren't displaying in SM. As an example, see this
page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67805820

Using Edge or Chrome, all the pictures are visible, video links work as
expected. In SM, the text/formatting renders the same as other
browsers, but all the images with the links in the 'Features' column at
the right are just grey placeholder squares.

None of the browser Preferences settings is having any effect. Any
suggestions?

Re: Videos & fixed images not displaying in SM

<_IicnXJ_Uf_QuxX4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1432&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1432

Subject: Re: Videos & fixed images not displaying in SM
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:38:36 +0000
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:38 UTC

On 23/12/2023 19:54, RicklesP wrote:
> We have 4 different PCs (all Windows, assorted versions of SM, assorted
> extensions loaded on each) that are exhibiting the same issue: fixed and
> video thumbnail images aren't displaying in SM.  As an example, see this
> page:   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67805820
>
> Using Edge or Chrome, all the pictures are visible, video links work as
> expected.  In SM, the text/formatting renders the same as other
> browsers, but all the images with the links in the 'Features' column at
> the right are just grey placeholder squares.
>
> None of the browser Preferences settings is having any effect.  Any
> suggestions?

With all page JS enabled, I see a big Trump and no other pictures. With
no JS apparently all images are displayed. Perhaps a lesson there for
the BBC.

The JS throws this:

SyntaxError: bad method definition
bundle-efaultVendors.99baee1fa546db44b4a0.js:2:455387

And this is the problem code in the 580kB line of JS, prettified and
re-formatted to fit in a news post:

$ = class {
instances = [];
canUseDOM = V;
context;
value={
setHelmet: e => {this.context.helmet = e},
helmetInstances: {get: () => this.canUseDOM?z:this.instances,
add: e => {(this.canUseDOM?z:
this.instances).push(e)},
remove: e => {
const t = (this.canUseDOM?z:
this.instances).indexOf(e);
(this.canUseDOM?z:this.instances).splice(t,1)
}}};
constructor(e,t){
this.context=e,
this.canUseDOM=t||!1,
t||(e.helmet = U({
baseTag:[],
/* ... more ... */
titleAttributes:{}}))}
},

/df

--
London
UK

Re: Videos & fixed images not displaying in SM

<umq1p3$1dgdj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1434&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1434

From: redtitanx@gmail.com (RicklesP)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:23:54 +0000
 by: RicklesP - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:23 UTC

Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
> On 23/12/2023 19:54, RicklesP wrote:
>> We have 4 different PCs (all Windows, assorted versions of SM, assorted
>> extensions loaded on each) that are exhibiting the same issue: fixed and
>> video thumbnail images aren't displaying in SM.  As an example, see this
>> page:   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67805820
>>
>> Using Edge or Chrome, all the pictures are visible, video links work as
>> expected.  In SM, the text/formatting renders the same as other
>> browsers, but all the images with the links in the 'Features' column at
>> the right are just grey placeholder squares.
>>
>> None of the browser Preferences settings is having any effect.  Any
>> suggestions?
>
> With all page JS enabled, I see a big Trump and no other pictures. With
> no JS apparently all images are displayed. Perhaps a lesson there for
> the BBC.
>
> The JS throws this:
>
> SyntaxError: bad method definition
> bundle-efaultVendors.99baee1fa546db44b4a0.js:2:455387
>
> And this is the problem code in the 580kB line of JS, prettified and
> re-formatted to fit in a news post:
>
> $ = class {
> instances = [];
> canUseDOM = V;
> context;
> value={
> setHelmet: e => {this.context.helmet = e},
> helmetInstances: {get: () => this.canUseDOM?z:this.instances,
> add: e => {(this.canUseDOM?z:
> this.instances).push(e)},
> remove: e => {
> const t = (this.canUseDOM?z:
> this.instances).indexOf(e);
> (this.canUseDOM?z:this.instances).splice(t,1)
> }}};
> constructor(e,t){
> this.context=e,
> this.canUseDOM=t||!1,
> t||(e.helmet = U({
> baseTag:[],
> titleAttributes:{}}))}
> },
>
> /df

Only just saw this response, already have a JS blocker installed, per
page, will see what happens when I block JS on the BBC. Since I'm not a
developer, wouldn't have any idea what to look for to ident the issue
myself! Cheers!