From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Run Android apps
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 15:41:04 -0500
 by: philo - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 20:41 UTC

Just curious if anyone has actually run Android apps on Ubuntu

Tried both Android x86 and Anbox and there was no option anywhere to
download apps or access those I've already downloaded on Linux.

Kind of a moot point as both apps locked my system up totally and had to
reboot after about 20 minutes.

Not a big deal, just curious.

Re: Run Android apps

<skqjeo$cf7$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1416&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1416

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Run Android apps
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 21:31:52 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 02:31 UTC

On 10/20/21 3:41 PM, philo wrote:
> Just curious if anyone has actually run Android apps on Ubuntu
>

> Tried both Android x86 and Anbox and there was no option anywhere to
> download apps or access those I've already downloaded on Linux.
>
> Kind of a moot point as both apps locked my system up totally and had to
> reboot after about 20 minutes.
>
> Not a big deal, just curious.

FWIW< I found something more fun.

Just installed Dos Box and can run some old dos game quite well

Re: Run Android apps

<skqkln$68o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1418&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1418

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 22:52:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 02:52 UTC

On 10/20/2021 10:31 PM, philo wrote:
> On 10/20/21 3:41 PM, philo wrote:
>> Just curious if anyone has actually run Android apps on Ubuntu
>>

>> Tried both Android x86 and Anbox and there was no option anywhere to download apps or access those I've already downloaded on Linux.
>>
>> Kind of a moot point as both apps locked my system up totally and had to reboot after about 20 minutes.
>>
>> Not a big deal, just curious.
>

> FWIW< I found something more fun.
>
> Just installed Dos Box and can run some old dos game quite well

The usefulness of an Android emulator, is limited by what "App Store"
it is allowed to connect to. Like if it won't connect to the
Google Play store or whatever, it might be a pretty boring outing.
You still have to find materials to run on it.

And as far as I know, potentially Android come in x86 and ARM flavor,
but the ARM flavor is the intended platform. The x86 is for "foreign
hardware" cases. There can be a big speed difference, depending
on "what ingredients you put in the stew" :-) Some of the first
VMs I ran at work, were so slow they were like watching paint dry.
The hosting that does emulation at the instruction level, can be
10x to 100x slower than native speed. The 100x slower case, is when
an emulator doesn't cache anything and just converts code on
the fly, continuously. The 10x slower case, the engine is a
bit more optimized for the task.

Paul

Re: Run Android apps

<skqlq6$13he$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1420&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1420

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 22:12:05 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 03:12 UTC

On 10/20/21 9:52 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 10/20/2021 10:31 PM, philo wrote:
>> On 10/20/21 3:41 PM, philo wrote:
>>> Just curious if anyone has actually run Android apps on Ubuntu
>>>

>>> Tried both Android x86 and Anbox and there was no option anywhere to
>>> download apps or access those I've already downloaded on Linux.
>>>
>>> Kind of a moot point as both apps locked my system up totally and had
>>> to reboot after about 20 minutes.
>>>
>>> Not a big deal, just curious.
>>

>> FWIW< I found something more fun.
>>
>> Just installed Dos Box and can run some old dos game quite well
>
> The usefulness of an Android emulator, is limited by what "App Store"
> it is allowed to connect to. Like if it won't connect to the
> Google Play store or whatever, it might be a pretty boring outing.
> You still have to find materials to run on it.
>
> And as far as I know, potentially Android come in x86 and ARM flavor,
> but the ARM flavor is the intended platform. The x86 is for "foreign
> hardware" cases. There can be a big speed difference, depending
> on "what ingredients you put in the stew" :-) Some of the first
> VMs I ran at work, were so slow they were like watching paint dry.
> The hosting that does emulation at the instruction level, can be
> 10x to 100x slower than native speed. The 100x slower case, is when
> an emulator doesn't cache anything and just converts code on
> the fly, continuously. The 10x slower case, the engine is a
> bit more optimized for the task.
>
>    Paul

Due to sluggishness, I do not generally like emulators...but if I want
to run a an old DOS game or Win3x game, an emulator is fine...even
preferable.

VIZ: I am getting kick out of that Nibbles Qbasic game and it will not
run on a fast CPU but in DOS Box I can adjust the CPU speed and it
plays great...even the on board "post" speaker to play the audio.

Plus I learned something.

I run Win3x in DOS box and eventually got it to lock up the system...but
I figured out that I did not have to reboot.

Just alt F4 to a terminal and run killall on my profile, then log back
in again.

20+ years of using Linux and I'm starting to get the hang of it.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: Run Android apps