The unfacts, did we have them, are too imprecisely few to warrant our certitude.

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Another Siri Failure!

SubjectAuthor
* Another Siri Failure!Thomas E.
`* Re: Another Siri Failure!Alan
 `* Re: Another Siri Failure!Thomas E.
  `* Re: Another Siri Failure!Alan
   `* Re: Another Siri Failure!Thomas E.
    +- Re: Another Siri Failure!Alan
    `* Re: Another Siri Failure!Alan
     +- Re: Another Siri Failure!Alan
     `- Re: Another Siri Failure!Alan

1
Another Siri Failure!

<d9e45b05-c195-4842-bbb7-319ce8926418n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14197&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14197

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 08:01:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Another Siri Failure!
From: thomas.e.elam@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sat, 27 May 2023 15:01 UTC

Another Siri failure!

This actually happened yesterday when I was driving from an AMA Fun Fly event at their Muncie HQ back home. I'm thinking of joining another radio control club, but they very recently moved to a new location, and I am not quite sure how to find it. The new flying field was on the way home. I want to look at this new facility before even contacting them about membership.

I needed directions. Let's see if Siri or Google Maps can find the new site..

Let's give Siri a try first!

I say Hey Siri, Nearest RC club Noblesville Indiana
Up pops only Screaming Eagles, Plainfield IN, on the southwest side of Indianapolis.
The one I wanted is the NeST club northeast of Noblesville and Indianapolis..
The two are about 40 miles apart.
What a farce. Can't find it at all.

Let's give Google Maps a chance.

I say Hey Siri, Hey Google, Google Maps.
Up pops Google Maps (contrary to Alan Baker's claim this does not work.).
Press the Mic icon, say Nearest RC club Noblesville, select the first one Northeast Taildraggers aka NeST:
https://www.nest-rc.org/ (site is not fully updated for the new location)

This is the one I wanted. Google's directions I used yesterday to find it on the way home from Muncie worked perfectly.

Screen capture videos:

Siri
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wJPDh_i0dyoyujM-giGCSNAocXJA-6jt/view?usp=sharing

Google Maps
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vU1pO-3ySj0cYvh4SNvPvu_qCjEXRxo8/view?usp=sharing

Re: Another Siri Failure!

<u4tib7$gj8r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14204&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14204

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Another Siri Failure!
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 11:32:06 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 27 May 2023 18:32 UTC

On 2023-05-27 08:01, Thomas E. wrote:
> Another Siri failure!

More bullshit from you, you mean.

> This actually happened yesterday when I was driving from an AMA Fun
> Fly event at their Muncie HQ back home. I'm thinking of joining
> another radio control club, but they very recently moved to a new
> location, and I am not quite sure how to find it. The new flying
> field was on the way home. I want to look at this new facility before
> even contacting them about membership.
>
> I needed directions. Let's see if Siri or Google Maps can find the
> new site.
>
> Let's give Siri a try first!
>
> I say Hey Siri, Nearest RC club Noblesville Indiana Up pops only

"nearest", not "NeST"? Interesting.

And once again, you say a plain address to Siri...

....not "Navigate to" or "Driving directions to".

I just trying saying "navigate to nest rc club noblesville indiana" and
it worked on the first try.
> Screaming Eagles, Plainfield IN, on the southwest side of
> Indianapolis. The one I wanted is the NeST club northeast of
> Noblesville and Indianapolis. The two are about 40 miles apart. What
> a farce. Can't find it at all.

On Olio Road, right?

Found it!

> Let's give Google Maps a chance.
>
> I say Hey Siri, Hey Google, Google Maps. Up pops Google Maps
> (contrary to Alan Baker's claim this does not work.).

"Hey Siri, Google Maps" would work also.

One of Siri's features is launching apps.

> Press the Mic
> icon, say Nearest RC

"nest"

> club Noblesville, select the first one Northeast
> Taildraggers aka NeST: https://www.nest-rc.org/ (site is not fully
> updated for the new location)

And once again, you speak a location with no preamble to a general
purpose app...

....(when you've been told it won't work and why)...

....and compare that to pressing a microphone button in a field that is
explicitly asking you for a location.

> This is the one I wanted. Google's directions I used yesterday to
> find it on the way home from Muncie worked perfectly.
>
> Screen capture videos:
>
> Siri
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wJPDh_i0dyoyujM-giGCSNAocXJA-6jt/view?usp=sharing
>
> Google Maps
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vU1pO-3ySj0cYvh4SNvPvu_qCjEXRxo8/view?usp=sharing

How long did it take you to contrive this situation?

How many test runs?

Re: Another Siri Failure!

<3db0f6c4-4886-407e-9fdb-ffe3560bee41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14214&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14214

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 06:57:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e.elam@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 13:57 UTC

On Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 2:32:11 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-05-27 08:01, Thomas E. wrote:
> > Another Siri failure!
>
> More bullshit from you, you mean.
> >
> > This actually happened yesterday when I was driving from an AMA Fun
> > Fly event at their Muncie HQ back home. I'm thinking of joining
> > another radio control club, but they very recently moved to a new
> > location, and I am not quite sure how to find it. The new flying
> > field was on the way home. I want to look at this new facility before
> > even contacting them about membership.
> >
> > I needed directions. Let's see if Siri or Google Maps can find the
> > new site.
> >
> > Let's give Siri a try first!
> >
> > I say Hey Siri, Nearest RC club Noblesville Indiana Up pops only
> "nearest", not "NeST"? Interesting.
>
> And once again, you say a plain address to Siri...
>
> ...not "Navigate to" or "Driving directions to".
>
> I just trying saying "navigate to nest rc club noblesville indiana" and
> it worked on the first try.
> > Screaming Eagles, Plainfield IN, on the southwest side of
> > Indianapolis. The one I wanted is the NeST club northeast of
> > Noblesville and Indianapolis. The two are about 40 miles apart. What
> > a farce. Can't find it at all.
> On Olio Road, right?
>
> Found it!
> >
> > Let's give Google Maps a chance.
> >
> > I say Hey Siri, Hey Google, Google Maps. Up pops Google Maps
> > (contrary to Alan Baker's claim this does not work.).
> "Hey Siri, Google Maps" would work also.
>
> One of Siri's features is launching apps.
> > Press the Mic
> > icon, say Nearest RC
> "nest"
> > club Noblesville, select the first one Northeast
> > Taildraggers aka NeST: https://www.nest-rc.org/ (site is not fully
> > updated for the new location)
> And once again, you speak a location with no preamble to a general
> purpose app...
>
> ...(when you've been told it won't work and why)...
>
> ...and compare that to pressing a microphone button in a field that is
> explicitly asking you for a location.
> >
> > This is the one I wanted. Google's directions I used yesterday to
> > find it on the way home from Muncie worked perfectly.
> >
> > Screen capture videos:
> >
> > Siri
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wJPDh_i0dyoyujM-giGCSNAocXJA-6jt/view?usp=sharing
> >
> > Google Maps
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vU1pO-3ySj0cYvh4SNvPvu_qCjEXRxo8/view?usp=sharing
> How long did it take you to contrive this situation?
>
> How many test runs?

Zero test runs. It was not contrived. Try it yourself in your car, even in CarPlay with Apple Maps in the foreground. Oops, you can't do that in your car. It does not have CarPlay.

Re: Another Siri Failure!

<u5ih5s$10mk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14215&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14215

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 10:21:00 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:21 UTC

On 2023-06-04 06:57, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 2:32:11 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
>> On 2023-05-27 08:01, Thomas E. wrote:
>>> Another Siri failure!
>>
>> More bullshit from you, you mean.
>>>
>>> This actually happened yesterday when I was driving from an AMA Fun
>>> Fly event at their Muncie HQ back home. I'm thinking of joining
>>> another radio control club, but they very recently moved to a new
>>> location, and I am not quite sure how to find it. The new flying
>>> field was on the way home. I want to look at this new facility before
>>> even contacting them about membership.
>>>
>>> I needed directions. Let's see if Siri or Google Maps can find the
>>> new site.
>>>
>>> Let's give Siri a try first!
>>>
>>> I say Hey Siri, Nearest RC club Noblesville Indiana Up pops only
>> "nearest", not "NeST"? Interesting.
>>
>> And once again, you say a plain address to Siri...
>>
>> ...not "Navigate to" or "Driving directions to".
>>
>> I just trying saying "navigate to nest rc club noblesville indiana" and
>> it worked on the first try.

Address this fact, Little Shit.

>>> Screaming Eagles, Plainfield IN, on the southwest side of
>>> Indianapolis. The one I wanted is the NeST club northeast of
>>> Noblesville and Indianapolis. The two are about 40 miles apart. What
>>> a farce. Can't find it at all.
>> On Olio Road, right?
>>
>> Found it!

And this, Little Shit.

>>> Let's give Google Maps a chance.
>>>
>>> I say Hey Siri, Hey Google, Google Maps. Up pops Google Maps
>>> (contrary to Alan Baker's claim this does not work.).
>> "Hey Siri, Google Maps" would work also.

And this, Little Shit.

>> One of Siri's features is launching apps.
>>> Press the Mic
>>> icon, say Nearest RC
>> "nest"
>>> club Noblesville, select the first one Northeast
>>> Taildraggers aka NeST: https://www.nest-rc.org/ (site is not fully
>>> updated for the new location)
>> And once again, you speak a location with no preamble to a general
>> purpose app...
>>
>> ...(when you've been told it won't work and why)...
>>
>> ...and compare that to pressing a microphone button in a field that is
>> explicitly asking you for a location.

And address why you still misuse a general purpose digital assistant...

....after having been told MULTIPLE times how you're supposed to use it.

>>> This is the one I wanted. Google's directions I used yesterday to
>>> find it on the way home from Muncie worked perfectly.
>>>
>>> Screen capture videos:
>>>
>>> Siri
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wJPDh_i0dyoyujM-giGCSNAocXJA-6jt/view?usp=sharing
>>>
>>> Google Maps
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vU1pO-3ySj0cYvh4SNvPvu_qCjEXRxo8/view?usp=sharing
>> How long did it take you to contrive this situation?
>>
>> How many test runs?
>
> Zero test runs. It was not contrived. Try it yourself in your car, even in CarPlay with Apple Maps in the foreground. Oops, you can't do that in your car. It does not have CarPlay.

But my PHONE has Siri, and Carplay doesn't change how Siri responds to a
general request.

Funny how someone who seems to actually be educated continues to
"misunderstand" simple instructions about how Siri works.

Re: Another Siri Failure!

<ee722a7c-21c7-4377-9c60-918c1475e55dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14220&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14220

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 05:19:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e.elam@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:19 UTC

You are wrong.

https://youtu.be/1R7VdYHcmEk

Re: Another Siri Failure!

<u5q7h8$15nbn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14223&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14223

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 08:25:28 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 15:25 UTC

On 2023-06-07 05:19, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 1:21:04 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:

>> Address this fact, Little Shit.

>> And this, Little Shit.

Failed, you Little Shit.

>> And this, Little Shit.

Failed.

>> And address why you still misuse a general purpose digital
>> assistant...
>>
>> ...after having been told MULTIPLE times how you're supposed to use
>> it.

Failed.

>>> Zero test runs. It was not contrived. Try it yourself in your
>>> car, even in CarPlay with Apple Maps in the foreground. Oops, you
>>> can't do that in your car. It does not have CarPlay.
>> But my PHONE has Siri, and Carplay doesn't change how Siri responds
>> to a general request.

Failed.

>> Funny how someone who seems to actually be educated continues to
>> "misunderstand" simple instructions about how Siri works.
>
> You are wrong.
>
> https://youtu.be/1R7VdYHcmEk

Sorry, but I'm not going to use 15 minutes of my life to find out what
you've said when you've failed to address the specific points I've mad here.

Re: Another Siri Failure!

<u5t8ce$1jij0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14224&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14224

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:58:22 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 18:58 UTC

On 2023-06-07 05:19, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 1:21:04 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:

>> Address this fact, Little Shit.

>> And this, Little Shit.

>> And this, Little Shit.

>> And address why you still misuse a general purpose digital assistant...
>>
>> ...after having been told MULTIPLE times how you're supposed to use it.

>>> Zero test runs. It was not contrived. Try it yourself in your car, even in CarPlay with Apple Maps in the foreground. Oops, you can't do that in your car. It does not have CarPlay.
>> But my PHONE has Siri, and Carplay doesn't change how Siri responds to a
>> general request.
>>
>> Funny how someone who seems to actually be educated continues to
>> "misunderstand" simple instructions about how Siri works.
>
> You are wrong.
>
> https://youtu.be/1R7VdYHcmEk

Well, I've got a few spare moments this morning, and with the assistance
of YouTube's closed captioning and speeding up the video, this should
take to look.

I'll just point out the errors:

Saying "Hey Siri"

You said "Hey Siri, Apple Maps" and up popped... ...Apple Maps. This
shows the general purpose nature of the "Hey Siri" phrase.

Then you said "Hey Siri, northeast taildraggers R/C aviation club" and
since you used the general purpose phrase, how was the system supposed
to know that what you were providing was a location? And before you say,
"Because Apple Maps was in the foreground" remember that the phrase "Hey
Siri" is intended to let you do far more than find addresses.

"OK, can't find Northeast taildraggers"

Then you do tap on the location field in Apple Maps...

....and then you type it...

....but you amazingly want it to be able to find a place that isn't
called "Northeast Taildraggers R/C Aviation Club" but rather
"NortheastSIDE Taildraggers R/C Aviation Club". Interesting that this
place is so important to you that you don't even know what it's actually
called.

"Apple doesn't have its own search engine"

You don't understand a bit of this.

Apple's location database doesn't happen to contain "Northeastside
Taildraggers RC Aviation Club". That's all.

But try:

"Hey Siri, directions to nest rc, noblesville"

That works from Vancouver, Little Shit.

And wonder of wonders, if you look at their website, it's what it says:

"NeST-RC" <https://www.nest-rc.org>

"hey siri, hey google"

Carplay is just another interface to your phone that is optimized for
driving tasks. When you say "hey siri, hey google" the system is
(probably) interpreting that as a request to search Google and get web
results. Something that is obviously not appropriate to do while driving
a car.

"one two nine nine nine"

Try directions to "Manor care". It's shorter.

Re: Another Siri Failure!

<u5t8la$1jkv7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14225&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14225

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 12:03:06 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 19:03 UTC

On 2023-06-08 11:58, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-06-07 05:19, Thomas E. wrote:

>>> Address this fact, Little Shit.

>>> And this, Little Shit.

>>> And this, Little Shit.

>>> And address why you still misuse a general purpose digital assistant...
>>>
>>> ...after having been told MULTIPLE times how you're supposed to use it.

>>> But my PHONE has Siri, and Carplay doesn't change how Siri responds to a
>>> general request.
>>>
>>> Funny how someone who seems to actually be educated continues to
>>> "misunderstand" simple instructions about how Siri works.
>>
>> You are wrong.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/1R7VdYHcmEk
>
> Well, I've got a few spare moments this morning, and with the assistance
> of YouTube's closed captioning and speeding up the video, this should
> take to look.
>
> I'll just point out the errors:
>
> Saying "Hey Siri"
>
> You said "Hey Siri, Apple Maps" and up popped... ...Apple Maps. This
> shows the general purpose nature of the "Hey Siri" phrase.
>
> Then you said "Hey Siri, northeast taildraggers R/C aviation club" and
> since you used the general purpose phrase, how was the system supposed
> to know that what you were providing was a location? And before you say,
> "Because Apple Maps was in the foreground" remember that the phrase "Hey
> Siri" is intended to let you do far more than find addresses.
>

> "OK, can't find Northeast taildraggers"
>
> Then you do tap on the location field in Apple Maps...
>
> ...and then you type it...
>
> ...but you amazingly want it to be able to find a place that isn't
> called "Northeast Taildraggers R/C Aviation Club" but rather
> "NortheastSIDE Taildraggers R/C Aviation Club". Interesting that this
> place is so important to you that you don't even know what it's actually
> called.
>

> "Apple doesn't have its own search engine"
>
> You don't understand a bit of this.
>
> Apple's location database doesn't happen to contain "Northeastside
> Taildraggers RC Aviation Club". That's all.
>
> But try:
>
> "Hey Siri, directions to nest rc, noblesville"
>
> That works from Vancouver, Little Shit.
>
> And wonder of wonders, if you look at their website, it's what it says:
>
> "NeST-RC" <https://www.nest-rc.org>
>
> "hey siri, hey google"
>
> Carplay is just another interface to your phone that is optimized for
> driving tasks. When you say "hey siri, hey google" the system is
> (probably) interpreting that as a request to search Google and get web
> results. Something that is obviously not appropriate to do while driving
> a car.
>
> "one two nine nine nine"
>
> Try directions to "Manor care". It's shorter.

Oh, and I did this one before and showed Siri worked fine.

"It uses the full addressing capability of Google"

Apple Maps doesn't use any part of Google for addresses, Little Shit.
That's just another thing you don't understand or bothered to even try.
Apple has had to build their OWN mapping database. It's not a matter of
not allowing.

Now, I don't know why it's having trouble with "12999 N. Pennsylvania"
from time to time, but it isn't a matter of "allowing".

Re: Another Siri Failure!

<u5t9ap$1jn7i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14226&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#14226

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 12:14:33 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 19:14 UTC

On 2023-06-08 11:58, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-06-07 05:19, Thomas E. wrote:

>>> Address this fact, Little Shit.

>>> And this, Little Shit.

>>> And this, Little Shit.

>>> And address why you still misuse a general purpose digital assistant...
>>>
>>> ...after having been told MULTIPLE times how you're supposed to use it.

>>> But my PHONE has Siri, and Carplay doesn't change how Siri responds to a
>>> general request.
>>>
>>> Funny how someone who seems to actually be educated continues to
>>> "misunderstand" simple instructions about how Siri works.
>>
>> You are wrong.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/1R7VdYHcmEk
>
> Well, I've got a few spare moments this morning, and with the assistance
> of YouTube's closed captioning and speeding up the video, this should
> take to look.
>
> I'll just point out the errors:
>
> Saying "Hey Siri"
>
> You said "Hey Siri, Apple Maps" and up popped... ...Apple Maps. This
> shows the general purpose nature of the "Hey Siri" phrase.
>
> Then you said "Hey Siri, northeast taildraggers R/C aviation club" and
> since you used the general purpose phrase, how was the system supposed
> to know that what you were providing was a location? And before you say,
> "Because Apple Maps was in the foreground" remember that the phrase "Hey
> Siri" is intended to let you do far more than find addresses.
>

> "OK, can't find Northeast taildraggers"
>
> Then you do tap on the location field in Apple Maps...
>
> ...and then you type it...
>
> ...but you amazingly want it to be able to find a place that isn't
> called "Northeast Taildraggers R/C Aviation Club" but rather
> "NortheastSIDE Taildraggers R/C Aviation Club". Interesting that this
> place is so important to you that you don't even know what it's actually
> called.
>

> "Apple doesn't have its own search engine"
>
> You don't understand a bit of this.
>
> Apple's location database doesn't happen to contain "Northeastside
> Taildraggers RC Aviation Club". That's all.
>
> But try:
>
> "Hey Siri, directions to nest rc, noblesville"
>
> That works from Vancouver, Little Shit.
>
> And wonder of wonders, if you look at their website, it's what it says:
>
> "NeST-RC" <https://www.nest-rc.org>
>
> "hey siri, hey google"
>
> Carplay is just another interface to your phone that is optimized for
> driving tasks. When you say "hey siri, hey google" the system is
> (probably) interpreting that as a request to search Google and get web
> results. Something that is obviously not appropriate to do while driving
> a car.
>
> "one two nine nine nine"
>
> Try directions to "Manor care". It's shorter.

Missed a couple of other ones:

"Directions to Corsair Field"

Suddenly you want to change to finding it by that name and not by
"Blacksheep RC Modellers Club"...

....which finds it first try.

"This is view you get".

Wrong. That is the turn-by-turn view that you have happened to zoom out
a bit. The route overview is shown by tapping the icon in the upper
right corner of the display. Apple Maps in CarPlay doesn't have a
"satellite" view. That's a choice and probably a correct one...

....because you want the driver to have as little reason to be distracted
by the map as possible.

<https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph93c7df449/ios>