From: suzyw0ng@outlook.com (Woozy Song)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: how is X11 started after login to GUI desktop?
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:31:41 +0800
 by: Woozy Song - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 07:31 UTC

I upgraded a PC with Open Mandriva. dnf upgrade has conflicts, so
installed the latest ISO with manual partitioning to keep old data (root
on one hard drive and root on another). Create user same name as before
then reboot when installation finishes. I have done this before with
other distros. So you do get a graphical screen presenting you with
the boot options, but select the top option and you just get a blinking
cursor at top left of screen.
If I boot again and select console mode instead of default, I can login
and type 'startx'. Voila it works, I get KDE Plasma and my files are
there. I can even run programs I compiled before. So only issue is
that X11 is not starting like it should.
I tried visiting Open Mandriva forum, but their server seems to be
not responding. Probably the admin guy is on holidays.

Re: how is X11 started after login to GUI desktop?

<oDhYmauQx4zimC0QC@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14160&group=comp.os.linux.misc#14160

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how is X11 started after login to GUI desktop?
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:52:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:52 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:31:41 +0800
Woozy Song <suzyw0ng@outlook.com> wrote:
> I upgraded a PC with Open Mandriva. dnf upgrade has conflicts, so
> installed the latest ISO with manual partitioning to keep old data (root
> on one hard drive and root on another). Create user same name as before
> then reboot when installation finishes. I have done this before with
> other distros. So you do get a graphical screen presenting you with
> the boot options, but select the top option and you just get a blinking
> cursor at top left of screen.

I don't have experience with Open Mandriva but at the point where you get
the blinking cursor you can try pressing <Control + Alt + Fn> ("Fn" meaning
function key n) for different values of n and see if any of them gives
a graphical login screen (which I assume is what you want).

> If I boot again and select console mode instead of default, I can login
> and type 'startx'. Voila it works, I get KDE Plasma and my files are
> there. I can even run programs I compiled before. So only issue is
> that X11 is not starting like it should.

If you log in to a graphical session (using whatever method) and you log out ,
do you get a graphical login screen ?

> I tried visiting Open Mandriva forum, but their server seems to be
> not responding. Probably the admin guy is on holidays.

Re: how is X11 started after login to GUI desktop?

<uma9j9$2nk73$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14161&group=comp.os.linux.misc#14161

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:36:50 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 17:36 UTC

On 12/24/23 01:31, Woozy Song wrote:
> I upgraded a PC with Open Mandriva. dnf upgrade has conflicts, so
> installed the latest ISO with manual partitioning to keep old data (root
> on one hard drive and root on another). Create user same name as before
> then reboot when installation finishes. I have done this before with
> other distros. So you do get a graphical screen presenting you with
> the boot options, but select the top option and you just get a blinking
> cursor at top left of screen.
> If I boot again and select console mode instead of default, I can login
> and type 'startx'. Voila it works, I get KDE Plasma and my files are
> there. I can even run programs I compiled before. So only issue is
> that X11 is not starting like it should.
> I tried visiting Open Mandriva forum, but their server seems to be
> not responding. Probably the admin guy is on holidays.

If you use a graphical session manager, it would start a X session.
Maybe try installing a different session manager? It's easy to switch it
out, just systemctl disable your old one and systemctl enable the new.

Re: how is X11 started after login to GUI desktop?

<umd9m3$37i16$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=14170&group=comp.os.linux.misc#14170

From: suzyw0ng@outlook.com (Woozy Song)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 09:18:56 +0800
 by: Woozy Song - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 01:18 UTC

David W. Hodgins wrote:

> I'm using Mageia 9, but given that both distros forked from Mandriva, they
> should be similar for this.
>
> The display manager is failing to start. Which one are you using, sddm,
> gdm,
> xdm, lightdm, etc.?
>
> If Open Mandriva is still using mcc, the simplest way to fix it is to
> install
> another dm and try that. So if sddm is currently being used, install
> lightdm,
>
> Once the other dm is installed, use mcc/Hardware/Set up the graphical
> server
> (or just run drakdm which is the program mcc starts) to switch which dm
> is used.
>
> As to how it's started, assuming Open Mandriva is now also using
> systemd, it's
> started by sddm.service.
>
> So check "systemctl status sddm.service" for messages, or the journal.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Yes I have used Mageia, and it is similar to OM.
Looking at journalctl, the problem is systemd-vconsole-setup.service
exits. This is preceded by
loadkeys: Unable to open file: au

But etc/vconsole.conf has KEYMAP=us
Web search suggested that this error was caused by bad font in
vconsole.conf, but there is no font line in the conf file.
So I did install another display manager: xdm which is presumably
simpler. And then xdm starts after a 30 second delay, whereas sddm
(default for Plasma) never gets up. This is getting annoying.