The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: 32 bit linux out of memory

SubjectAuthor
* 32 bit linux out of memoryRichmond
+* 32 bit linux out of memoryfrg
|+- 32 bit linux out of memoryDirk Fieldhouse
|+* 32 bit linux out of memoryRichmond
||`- 32 bit linux out of memoryRichmond
|`* 32 bit linux out of memoryRichmond
| `* 32 bit linux out of memoryRichmond
|  `- 32 bit linux out of memoryRichmond
`- 32 bit linux out of memoryDon Vito Martinelli

1
32 bit linux out of memory

<86y1e0g7hx.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1363&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1363

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: 32 bit linux out of memory
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:04:58 +0000
 by: Richmond - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:04 UTC

I got an out of memory error with 32 bit linux. I know this happens with
32 bit windows, but I didn't expect it with linux pae. But I have 2G RAM
plus 3G swap so that's 5G, maybe not enough for Seamonkey? I have now
increased swap using a swapfile so I have 10G....

Re: 32 bit linux out of memory

<ktolodFhep8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1364&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1364

From: frgrahl@gmx.net (frg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: 32 bit linux out of memory
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:47:41 +0100
 by: frg - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:47 UTC

Richmond wrote:
> I got an out of memory error with 32 bit linux. I know this happens with
> 32 bit windows, but I didn't expect it with linux pae. But I have 2G RAM
> plus 3G swap so that's 5G, maybe not enough for Seamonkey? I have now
> increased swap using a swapfile so I have 10G....

Happens fast with media playback or sites using complex scripting / css uBlock
and NoScript help but even then 2GB is not enough. Swap might not help here
too. OOM is oom.

FRG

Re: 32 bit linux out of memory

<dN6cnfd5ZPF0sur4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1365&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1365

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:51:04 +0000
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:51 UTC

On 11/12/2023 14:47, frg wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>> I got an out of memory error with 32 bit linux. I know this happens with
>> 32 bit windows, but I didn't expect it with linux pae. But I have 2G RAM
>> plus 3G swap so that's 5G, maybe not enough for Seamonkey? I have now
>> increased swap using a swapfile so I have 10G....
>
> Happens fast with media playback or sites using complex scripting / css
> uBlock and NoScript help but even then 2GB is not enough. Swap might not
> help here too. OOM is oom.

Aggressive NoScript can keep things under control, so that you can have
a couple of windows with a few tabs in each as well as mail/news with
IMAP+local folders/newsgroups/RSS feeds, Since the mail/news is in the
same process*, too much of that limits the browser, and vice versa.

As an example, this is being posted from a tiny HP "WindowsBook" with
~10 open windows including a SM browser window with 16 tabs, a mail/news
window and a message window (and plainly a message compose window ATM!):

Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz
Memory : 1952MB (1098MB used)
Machine Type : Notebook
Operating System : Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

There is a 3GB swap^H^H^H^Hpagefile, mostly for hibernation, on its 32GB
eMMC. SM is using 2.9GB of VM and ~20% CPU (about twice XFCE TaskManager).

Media playback is possible, but youtube-dl/yt-dlp + mpv is much better
for supported sites.

If SM is crashing on OP's system with one or two tabs, that would be
surprising.

Improved support for new JS syntax and components will increase website
compatibility probably at the cost of higher resource demands.

*When Opera (pre-WebKit) had a built-in mail/news function, it was
possible to set up two configurations, so that Opera browser ran in one
process and Opera mail/news in another. Maybe Mozilla/SM is too tightly
integrated for that unless you go the full FF/TB route.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: 32 bit linux out of memory

<ul7cfk$37l9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1366&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1366

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Vito Martinelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 17:13:40 +0100
 by: Don Vito Martinelli - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:13 UTC

Richmond wrote:
> I got an out of memory error with 32 bit linux. I know this happens with
> 32 bit windows, but I didn't expect it with linux pae. But I have 2G RAM
> plus 3G swap so that's 5G, maybe not enough for Seamonkey? I have now
> increased swap using a swapfile so I have 10G....

Is this an ancient machine?
My first 64-bit machine was in 2007 and has long since bitten the dust
(an Intel Core Duo laptop), so I'm wondering why you don't have
something more current. This is being written on a Ryzen 5 4600G with
16G memory.

Re: 32 bit linux out of memory

<86o7ewmz2h.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1368&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1368

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 17:25:10 +0000
 by: Richmond - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 17:25 UTC

frg <frgrahl@gmx.net> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>> I got an out of memory error with 32 bit linux. I know this happens with
>> 32 bit windows, but I didn't expect it with linux pae. But I have 2G RAM
>> plus 3G swap so that's 5G, maybe not enough for Seamonkey? I have now
>> increased swap using a swapfile so I have 10G....
>>

> Happens fast with media playback or sites using complex scripting /
> css uBlock and NoScript help but even then 2GB is not enough. Swap
> might not help here too. OOM is oom.

I don't watch videos with SM, and I have Javascript disabled. As far as
I remember I was just looking at email. I have had both Firefox and
Chromium running at the same time on this computer without trouble. I am
continuing to experiment....

Re: 32 bit linux out of memory

<86jzpkmwm7.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1369&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1369

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:18:08 +0000
 by: Richmond - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:18 UTC

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

> frg <frgrahl@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Richmond wrote:
>>> I got an out of memory error with 32 bit linux. I know this happens with
>>> 32 bit windows, but I didn't expect it with linux pae. But I have 2G RAM
>>> plus 3G swap so that's 5G, maybe not enough for Seamonkey? I have now
>>> increased swap using a swapfile so I have 10G....
>>>

>> Happens fast with media playback or sites using complex scripting /
>> css uBlock and NoScript help but even then 2GB is not enough. Swap
>> might not help here too. OOM is oom.
>>

> I don't watch videos with SM, and I have Javascript disabled. As far as
> I remember I was just looking at email. I have had both Firefox and
> Chromium running at the same time on this computer without trouble. I am
> continuing to experiment....

I have written a program which allocates memory.

total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 2.0Gi 1.9Gi 125Mi 696Ki 169Mi 87Mi
Swap: 10Gi 2.8Gi 8.2Gi

It has used up 2.8 gigabytes of swap space before failing to
allocate. But it didn't crash.

I guess Seamonkey is trying to allocate memory faster than the system
can supply it. Why doesn't it wait for a bit then try again?

Re: 32 bit linux out of memory

<86wmtgj4nc.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1399&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1399

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 13:27:19 +0000
 by: Richmond - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 13:27 UTC

frg <frgrahl@gmx.net> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>> I got an out of memory error with 32 bit linux. I know this happens with
>> 32 bit windows, but I didn't expect it with linux pae. But I have 2G RAM
>> plus 3G swap so that's 5G, maybe not enough for Seamonkey? I have now
>> increased swap using a swapfile so I have 10G....
>>

> Happens fast with media playback or sites using complex scripting /
> css uBlock and NoScript help but even then 2GB is not enough. Swap
> might not help here too. OOM is oom.

I find Thunderbird works OK, and so does Firefox, and Chromium, but
Seamonkey crashes even with 10G of virtual memory. I think that must be
a bug. Tried to run it with gdb but of course it didn't crash then. :/

Re: 32 bit linux out of memory

<86fs04inan.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1406&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1406

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:42:08 +0000
 by: Richmond - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:42 UTC

Running with valgrind shows this:

==13796== LEAK SUMMARY:
==13796== definitely lost: 17,184 bytes in 914 blocks
==13796== indirectly lost: 20,236 bytes in 906 blocks
==13796== possibly lost: 211,901 bytes in 2,669 blocks
==13796== still reachable: 4,573,954 bytes in 56,303 blocks
==13796== of which reachable via heuristic:
==13796== stdstring : 295 bytes in 5 blocks
==13796== newarray : 644 bytes in 23 blocks
==13796== multipleinheritance: 3,108 bytes in 16 blocks
==13796== suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==13796== Reachable blocks (those to which a pointer was found) are not shown.
==13796== To see them, rerun with: --leak-check=full --show-leak-kinds=all
==13796==
==13796== For lists of detected and suppressed errors, rerun with: -s
==13796== ERROR SUMMARY: 14239 errors from 1318 contexts (suppressed: 0 from 0)

This was only going to the profile manager and then exiting.

Re: 32 bit linux out of memory

<864jgj8m1c.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1413&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1413

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:31:43 +0000
 by: Richmond - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:31 UTC

Thread 35 "Socket Thread" received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
[Switching to Thread 0xaa7feb40 (LWP 1389)]
0xb7fc9559 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0xb7fc9559 in ?? ()
Backtrace stopped: Cannot access memory at address 0x1c
(gdb)

:(