Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 22:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Notepad++ is an excellent editor for coding VHDL
From: wtxwtx@gmail.com (Tianxiang Weng)
 by: Tianxiang Weng - Wed, 26 May 2021 05:46 UTC

Hi,

In the working process for my private project, I use free Notepad++ to code VHDL code and appreciate it very much!

Here is an example of how powerful Notepad++ is:
In 27 files, I easily found that I use the statement "when others => null; " 119 times and the statement "end case;" 117 times. There are certainly 2 mismatches for the 2 types of statements. I found only 1 mismatch in which "end case;" is written as "end if;" by looking at every statement "when others => null; ", and abandoned another attempt to find the only mismatch. I don't have to switch files to locate the statement; instead, I just clicked a search result file shown in different colors.

I would like to share this experience with everyone here.

Weng

Re: Notepad++ is an excellent editor for coding VHDL

<sj5jm0$bh8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=208&group=comp.arch.fpga#208

From: john@smith.com
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Subject: Re: Notepad++ is an excellent editor for coding VHDL
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 00:10:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: john@smith.com - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 00:10 UTC

On 2021-05-26, Tianxiang Weng <wtxwtx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the working process for my private project, I use free Notepad++ to code VHDL code and appreciate it very much!

Hi,
how have you found Notepad++ when it comes to larger projects though? The thing is it works fine when you have
a small set of files, but any time you need more than that Notepad++ doesn't really scale. In my case at the moment
I need to work on a VHDL project stored in Git, but with many small files for Modelsim+Quartus and VS Code has
been amazing for that.

> Here is an example of how powerful Notepad++ is:
> In 27 files, I easily found that I use the statement "when others => null; " 119 times and the statement "end case;" 117 times. There are certainly 2 mismatches for the 2 types of statements. I found only 1 mismatch in which "end case;" is written as "end if;" by looking at every statement "when others => null; ", and abandoned another attempt to find the only mismatch. I don't have to switch files to locate the statement; instead, I just clicked a search result file shown in different colors.

well you can do all that in IDEs like VS Code too, and the numerous extensions means you can do everything in one
IDE which is pretty nice. Notepad++ really seems to be a useful halfway between Windows Notepad and VS Code. Only
thing I hate about VS Code is there's a plethora of extensions that are all different but basically do the same things.
Just a look at VHDL, basically all of them are variations on syntax highlighting.