computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

SubjectAuthor
* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Big Al
+* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Revvie Quar
|`* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115knuttle
| +- Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Andy Burns
| +- Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Big Al
| +* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Wayne
| |`* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Andy Burns
| | `- Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Nobody
| `* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Andy Burns
|  `- Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Andy Burns
`* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115T
 `* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115T
  +* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Bill H
  |`* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115T
  | `- Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Bill H
  `* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Jörg_Lorenz
   +* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Big Al
   |`* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Jörg_Lorenz
   | +* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Nobody
   | |`* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Paul
   | | `- Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Nobody
   | `- Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Jörg_Lorenz
   `* Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Wayne
    `- Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115Jörg_Lorenz

1
Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<ug8t4g$2glbd$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1404&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1404

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:42:40 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:42 UTC

One thing that's a great improvement is jumping to a news group to read message and then clicking on inbox, the inbox
opens and the last email I viewed is showing. Ver 102 would bring me back to a blank preview pane and nothing
selected. An extra click but still a constant rub.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<ug97jh$2rskh$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1415&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1415

From: RevvieQuar@Yahoo.com (Revvie Quar)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 11:41:20 -0500
 by: Revvie Quar - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:41 UTC

On 10/12/2023 8:42, Big Al took the time to scribe:
> One thing that's a great improvement is jumping to a news group to read
> message and then clicking on inbox, the inbox opens and the last email I
> viewed is showing.   Ver 102 would bring me back to a blank preview pane
> and nothing selected.  An extra click but still a constant rub.

At first, a few things had the appearance of being "broken" vs what we
had in v102, but call it a cosmetic change to make it fancy-sounding.

Secondly, my custom userChrome.css for v102 would not work for v115
which irked me no end until I was able to cobble one together from
various advice sources as well as a self-taught use of Developer Tool,
so now that's "fixed".

Thirdly, as for things being "broken", I shrug and get used to it since
I'd like to think I'm an easy-going guy and if something annoys me, I
work/search to fix it.

Overall, yeah, it's been a bit of a PITA, but as it stands now, I'm fine
with it, cosmetic changes and all.

It works as advertised, having all my email accounts/newsgroups in one
place.

Oh yeah, I use Betterbird, in case some of you notice that in my
headers. Hope that doesn't break a "rule" for posting here.

--
Revvie Quar

Gryphons ~RAWK!~

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<ug9ahu$2k88r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1416&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1416

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:31:42 -0400
 by: knuttle - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 17:31 UTC

On 10/12/2023 12:41 PM, Revvie Quar wrote:
> On 10/12/2023 8:42, Big Al took the time to scribe:
>> One thing that's a great improvement is jumping to a news group to
>> read message and then clicking on inbox, the inbox opens and the last
>> email I viewed is showing.   Ver 102 would bring me back to a blank
>> preview pane and nothing selected.  An extra click but still a
>> constant rub.
>
> At first, a few things had the appearance of being "broken" vs what we
> had in v102, but call it a cosmetic change to make it fancy-sounding.
>
> Secondly, my custom userChrome.css for v102 would not work for v115
> which irked me no end until I was able to cobble one together from
> various advice sources as well as a self-taught use of Developer Tool,
> so now that's "fixed".
>
> Thirdly, as for things being "broken", I shrug and get used to it since
> I'd like to think I'm an easy-going guy and if something annoys me, I
> work/search to fix it.
>
> Overall, yeah, it's been a bit of a PITA, but as it stands now, I'm fine
> with it, cosmetic changes and all.
>
> It works as advertised, having all my email accounts/newsgroups in one
> place.
>
> Oh yeah, I use Betterbird, in case some of you notice that in my
> headers.  Hope that doesn't break a "rule" for posting here.

One of the things I disliked about 115 when I first installed it was
placing the FIle, Edit, View, ... Menu below the custom tool bar.
HOWEVER after using it for a period, I find that having the Menu is
small letters under the Custom toolbar works quite will. It is easily
found when you need, it but being small esentially "out of the way" in
normal use.
Having the Custom Toolbar at the top gives a clean unclutter look to TB.
I like being able to change the order of accounts when I am in Account
Settings, and like the fact that the folders in the Account are in
alphabetical order, as it makes them easy to find.
Things I dislike about 115,
I believe the most frustration is not being able to set the messages to
default to unread, but being EASILY switching to ALL from the eyeball.
(Yes you can go through about three steps to change from Unread to All
and back. It is simpler to do it in one step with the eyeball. )
I like seeing what has just been download from the net as you don't have
to search through 50 or more messages to see what is Unread, but being
able to see all if there is a refference where I need to see all of the
message.

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<koqppoFpmquU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1417&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1417

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 18:47:36 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 17:47 UTC

knuttle wrote:

> the most frustration is not being able to set the messages to default to
> unread, but being EASILY switching to ALL from the eyeball.

I don't use the "eyeball" to show unread. I turn on the Quick Filter
bar, enure the push-pin is on to make filters persistent across changing
group/folder, then turn on "unread"

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<ug9lll$2mhu6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1418&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1418

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:41:25 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 20:41 UTC

On 10/12/23 01:31 PM, this is what knuttle wrote:
> On 10/12/2023 12:41 PM, Revvie Quar wrote:
>> On 10/12/2023 8:42, Big Al took the time to scribe:
>>> One thing that's a great improvement is jumping to a news group to read message and then clicking on inbox, the inbox
>>> opens and the last email I viewed is showing.   Ver 102 would bring me back to a blank preview pane and nothing
>>> selected.  An extra click but still a constant rub.
>>
>> At first, a few things had the appearance of being "broken" vs what we had in v102, but call it a cosmetic change to
>> make it fancy-sounding.
>>
>> Secondly, my custom userChrome.css for v102 would not work for v115 which irked me no end until I was able to cobble
>> one together from various advice sources as well as a self-taught use of Developer Tool, so now that's "fixed".
>>
>> Thirdly, as for things being "broken", I shrug and get used to it since I'd like to think I'm an easy-going guy and if
>> something annoys me, I work/search to fix it.
>>
>> Overall, yeah, it's been a bit of a PITA, but as it stands now, I'm fine with it, cosmetic changes and all.
>>
>> It works as advertised, having all my email accounts/newsgroups in one place.
>>
>> Oh yeah, I use Betterbird, in case some of you notice that in my headers.  Hope that doesn't break a "rule" for
>> posting here.
>>
> One of the things I disliked about 115 when I first installed it was placing the FIle, Edit, View, ... Menu below the
> custom tool bar. HOWEVER after using it for a period, I find that having the Menu is small letters under the Custom
> toolbar works quite will.  It is easily found when you need, it but being small esentially "out of the way" in normal use.
> Having the Custom Toolbar at the top gives a clean unclutter look to TB.
>
> I like being able to change the order of accounts when I am in Account Settings, and like the fact that the folders in
> the Account are in alphabetical order, as it makes them easy to find.
>
> Things I dislike about 115,
> I believe the most frustration is not being able to set the messages to default to unread, but being EASILY switching to
> ALL from the eyeball. (Yes you can go through about three steps to change from Unread to All and back.  It is simpler to
> do it in one step with the eyeball.  )
>
> I like seeing what has just been download from the net as you don't have to search through 50 or more messages to see
> what is Unread, but being able to see all if there is a refference where I need to see all of the message.

I have my view set to 'threads with unread'. From the menu bar (only place I could find it), view->threads-> and check
'threads with unread'. This show you only messages have have new posts. All the others are gone. If your headers
are clutter just hitting "\" collapses all of them. Now you can see the few threads that people are active in.

It's very easy for me to control the new messages. I have the 'Mark All Read' add-on installed so if I see 6 threads
with 25 messages (the count in the folders pane), and none of the subjects are interesting to me, I can mark all 25
messages as read with one click.

--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<uga72b$2q4c7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1421&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1421

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 18:38:19 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 01:38 UTC

On 10/12/23 06:42, Big Al wrote:
> One thing that's a great improvement is jumping to a news group to read
> message and then clicking on inbox, the inbox opens and the last email I
> viewed is showing.   Ver 102 would bring me back to a blank preview pane
> and nothing selected.  An extra click but still a constant rub

Pros:
in the newsgroups, I can click on the top of a thread
and delete without having to click on every entry in
the thread.

Cons:
Cuss words have not yet been invented to adequately describe

I LOVE "New and Improved". I despise "New and back sliding"

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<ugam0q$30rv5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1427&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1427

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 22:53:30 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 05:53 UTC

On 10/12/23 18:38, T wrote:

> Pros:
>
> in the newsgroups, I can click on the top of a thread
> and delete without having to click on every entry in
> the thread.

I like the new ability move my numerous accounts up
and down on the left column without having to have
an extension.

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<ugclim$3fkli$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1435&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1435

From: billh@domain.is.invalid (Bill H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:58:13 -0700
 by: Bill H - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 23:58 UTC

On 10/12/2023 at 10:53 PM, T wrote:
> On 10/12/23 18:38, T wrote:
>>
>> Pros:
>>
>> in the newsgroups, I can click on the top of a thread
>> and delete without having to click on every entry in
>> the thread.
>>

> I like the new ability move my numerous accounts up
> and down on the left column without having to have
> an extension.

I really like this as well.

What other gems do you have in your .css file?

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<ugcnvf$3g349$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1436&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1436

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 17:39:11 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:39 UTC

On 10/13/23 16:58, Bill H wrote:
> On 10/12/2023 at 10:53 PM, T wrote:
>> On 10/12/23 18:38, T wrote:
>>>
>>> Pros:
>>>
>>> in the newsgroups, I can click on the top of a thread
>>> and delete without having to click on every entry in
>>> the thread.
>>>

>> I like the new ability move my numerous accounts up
>> and down on the left column without having to have
>> an extension.
>
> I really like this as well.
I have to remember to go into account settings to do it

> What other gems do you have in your .css file?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
Hi Bill,
I have a collection of things folks here
have given me. It currently sits at:
-T

/* ####### */
@namespace html url("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml");
#messengerBox {
border-right: 1px solid green !important;
border-left: 1px solid green !important;
}
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* move the menu bar to the top, tabs bar in bottom, and toolbar at the
middle */
/* (this causes the color to change on the menu bar, unified toolbar,
and inactive tabs if you */
/* hide the system title bar) */
/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
#toolbar-menubar {
order: -2;
}
#tabs-toolbar {
order: 0;
}
#unified-toolbar {
order: -1;
}

#unifiedToolbarContainer {
order: -4;
}

/* add a border to unfocused tabs for accent */
.tabmail-tab { border-radius: 10px 10px 0 0 !important;
border: 1px solid #aaa !important;
border-bottom: none !important; }

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<ugcsil$3fkli$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1440&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1440

From: billh@domain.is.invalid (Bill H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 18:57:40 -0700
 by: Bill H - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 01:57 UTC

On 10/13/2023 at 5:39 PM, T wrote:
> On 10/13/23 16:58, Bill H wrote:

>>> I like the new ability move my numerous accounts up
>>> and down on the left column without having to have
>>> an extension.
>>
>> I really like this as well.
>
> I have to remember to go into account settings to do it
>

>> What other gems do you have in your .css file?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> I have a collection of things folks here
> have given me. It currently sits at:
>
> -T
>

> /* ####### */
> @namespace html url("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml");
>
> #messengerBox {
> border-right: 1px solid green !important;
> border-left: 1px solid green !important;
> }
>
> /*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
> /* move the menu bar to the top, tabs bar in bottom, and toolbar at the
> middle */
> /* (this causes the color to change on the menu bar, unified toolbar,
> and inactive tabs if you */
> /* hide the system title bar) */
> /*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
>
> #toolbar-menubar {
> order: -2;
> }
>
> #tabs-toolbar {
> order: 0;
> }
>
> #unified-toolbar {
> order: -1;
> }
>

> #unifiedToolbarContainer {
> order: -4;
> }
>

> /* add a border to unfocused tabs for accent */
> .tabmail-tab { border-radius: 10px 10px 0 0 !important;
> border: 1px solid #aaa !important;
> border-bottom: none !important; }

Thanks T. I do have all of these already. Always looking for good changes.

Bill

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<ugd6sa$7jf1$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1443&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1443

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:53:30 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 04:53 UTC

On 13.10.23 07:53, T wrote:
> On 10/12/23 18:38, T wrote:
>>
>> Pros:
>>
>> in the newsgroups, I can click on the top of a thread
>> and delete without having to click on every entry in
>> the thread.
>>

> I like the new ability move my numerous accounts up
> and down on the left column without having to have
> an extension.

Me too. The icing on the cake would be the possibilty to move the folder
around in an account.

--
Manus manum lavat

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<uge342$3s085$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1449&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1449

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 08:55:30 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:55 UTC

On 10/14/23 12:53 AM, this is what Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 13.10.23 07:53, T wrote:
>> On 10/12/23 18:38, T wrote:
>>>
>>> Pros:
>>>
>>> in the newsgroups, I can click on the top of a thread
>>> and delete without having to click on every entry in
>>> the thread.
>>>

>> I like the new ability move my numerous accounts up
>> and down on the left column without having to have
>> an extension.
>
> Me too. The icing on the cake would be the possibilty to move the folder
> around in an account.

If you mean moving one newsgroup within a server, then I can do that in the folder pane directly.
Not in account settings.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<uge5e9$7ub7$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1450&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1450

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:35:05 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:35 UTC

Am 14.10.23 um 14:55 schrieb Big Al:
> On 10/14/23 12:53 AM, this is what Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> I like the new ability move my numerous accounts up
>>> and down on the left column without having to have
>>> an extension.
>>
>> Me too. The icing on the cake would be the possibilty to move the folder
>> around in an account.
>>
> If you mean moving one newsgroup within a server, then I can do that in the folder pane directly.
> Not in account settings.

Does not work in 115.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<kacliileintt3vmfsjnm86dtiik0mglkrm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1452&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1452

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 08:25:55 -0700
 by: Nobody - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:25 UTC

On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:35:05 +0200, Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net>
wrote:

>Am 14.10.23 um 14:55 schrieb Big Al:

>>> Me too. The icing on the cake would be the possibilty to move the folder
>>> around in an account.
>>>
>> If you mean moving one newsgroup within a server, then I can do that in the folder pane directly.
>> Not in account settings.
>
>Does not work in 115.

Again, you are incorrect.

With TB 115.3.2 on Win 11, as Big Al points out using Linux Mint 21.2
Cinnamon, *newsgroups* within an account (such as Eternal-september)
may be shuffled at will by dragging.

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<ugf2ee$2mt6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1456&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1456

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 17:50:05 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 21:50 UTC

On 10/14/2023 11:25 AM, Nobody wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:35:05 +0200, Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net>
> wrote:

>>> If you mean moving one newsgroup within a server, then I can do that in the folder pane directly.
>>> Not in account settings.
>>
>> Does not work in 115.
>
> Again, you are incorrect.
>
> With TB 115.3.2 on Win 11, as Big Al points out using Linux Mint 21.2
> Cinnamon, *newsgroups* within an account (such as Eternal-september)
> may be shuffled at will by dragging.

The storage capability for folder ordering, can be done with the .rc file.
Even if there wasn't a graphical way to do it, you can manually edit
this text file, and reverse the group order if you want.

news.aioe.org.rc

alt.comp.os.windows-10: 1-176779
alt.comp.os.windows-8: 1-31596
alt.windows7.general: 1-201006

The software can re-write that file, and put the
lines in any order, and that is the order they are
displayed on the screen.

When you add a new subscription, it is generally put
at the bottom of the list. If you have any issues with
"fetching" a group, you can manually edit a file and
set the numbers to "1-1" as in the example. That helps
ensure you get all the messages currently available in
the spool. The article numbers are kept on the server.
If the server *renumbers* the articles, then all hell breaks
loose :-) Because any client numbering in this file,
is no longer synchronized with the server numbering.
Big groups like rec.arts.tv are the kind most likely
to suffer a renumber.

alt.comp.os.windows-10: 1-176779
alt.comp.os.windows-8: 1-31596
alt.windows7.general: 1-201006
alt.comp.software.thunderbird: 1-1

Using the "1-1" trick, messes up your view of the group,
so DO NOT test this on a group that matters. If you have
a little used server and its news group, test the .rc file
for that one, so you know what to expect.

Paul

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<8aamiihnnkm83qtigqv7m7bhrdbutqvnpr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1458&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1458

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 17:03:58 -0700
 by: Nobody - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 00:03 UTC

On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 17:50:05 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 10/14/2023 11:25 AM, Nobody wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:35:05 +0200, Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Does not work in 115.
>>
>> Again, you are incorrect.
>>
>> With TB 115.3.2 on Win 11, as Big Al points out using Linux Mint 21.2
>> Cinnamon, *newsgroups* within an account (such as Eternal-september)
>> may be shuffled at will by dragging.
>>

>The storage capability for folder ordering, can be done with the .rc file.
>Even if there wasn't a graphical way to do it, you can manually edit
>this text file, and reverse the group order if you want.
>
> news.aioe.org.rc

Paul: please don't Feed The Troll.

All Big Al and i were trying to hammer through Lorenz's head, is that
TB's existing/off-the-shelf UI allows for personal sorting of
newsgroups *within a specific NNTP provider's account*.

It would be nice as well (for a lot of average T'bird users) to have
the ability to arrange *folders* within *Mail*accounts by personal
preference.

Until TB 115, the add-on *Manually sort folders* permitted/allowed
that. To date, the developer has chosen not to provide an update.

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<ugg8ud$8uto$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1460&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1460

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 10:47:09 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 08:47 UTC

On 14.10.23 15:35, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 14.10.23 um 14:55 schrieb Big Al:
>> On 10/14/23 12:53 AM, this is what Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>>> Me too. The icing on the cake would be the possibilty to move the folder
>>> around in an account.
>>>
>> If you mean moving one newsgroup within a server, then I can do that in the folder pane directly.
>> Not in account settings.
>
> Does not work in 115.

To be more precise: Works with newsgroups but not in mail.

--
Manus manum lavat

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<uh34qk$2ducu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1640&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1640

From: vseerror@fastmail.com (Wayne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:33:23 -0400
 by: Wayne - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 12:33 UTC

On 10/14/23 12:53 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 13.10.23 07:53, T wrote:
>> On 10/12/23 18:38, T wrote:
>>>
>>> Pros:
>>>
>>> in the newsgroups, I can click on the top of a thread
>>> and delete without having to click on every entry in
>>> the thread.
>>>

>> I like the new ability move my numerous accounts up
>> and down on the left column without having to have
>> an extension.
>
> Me too. The icing on the cake would be the possibilty to move the folder
> around in an account.

Someone is working on this.

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<uh34vj$2ducu$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1641&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1641

From: vseerror@fastmail.com (Wayne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:36:02 -0400
 by: Wayne - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 12:36 UTC

On 10/12/23 1:31 PM, knuttle wrote:
> I believe the most frustration is not being able to set the messages to
> default to unread, but being EASILY switching to ALL from the eyeball.
> (Yes you can go through about three steps to change from Unread to All
> and back.  It is simpler to do it in one step with the eyeball.  )

View is getting a fix in 115.4.0 this week.

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<uh3g8l$2ga7h$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1649&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1649

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:48:37 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:48 UTC

Am 22.10.23 um 14:33 schrieb Wayne:
> On 10/14/23 12:53 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> Me too. The icing on the cake would be the possibilty to move the folder
>> around in an account.
>
> Someone is working on this.

Heard about it.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<kpqjrnFucirU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1677&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1677

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:22:31 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:22 UTC

Wayne wrote:

> knuttle wrote:
>
>> I believe the most frustration is not being able to set the messages
>> to default to unread, but being EASILY switching to ALL from the
>> eyeball.
>
> View is getting a fix in 115.4.0 this week.

No mention in the release notes, maybe it missed the cut?

<https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.4.0/releasenotes>

Looks like the update is on the blocks, mine's not updating yet, so I
won't steal Ant's glory

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<secgji51ap9vcift267p4uu2ffrmjodfol@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1681&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1681

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:10:25 -0700
 by: Nobody - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 21:10 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:22:31 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Wayne wrote:
>
>> knuttle wrote:
>>
>>> I believe the most frustration is not being able to set the messages
>>> to default to unread, but being EASILY switching to ALL from the
>>> eyeball.
>>
>> View is getting a fix in 115.4.0 this week.
>
>No mention in the release notes, maybe it missed the cut?
>
><https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.4.0/releasenotes>

The first item should please a lot of posters here: "Added account
context menu to Unified Toolbar "Get Messages" button, creating quick
access option to retrieve new messages for individual accounts."

But what is *Account Central*?

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<kptasmFkiefU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1706&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1706

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 21:07:51 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 20:07 UTC

knuttle wrote:

([[br) />
^^^^^^^^^
not sure where this arrived from, it wasn't in keith's message that I
quoted, it has appeared twice for me

> Things I dislike about 115,
> I believe the most frustration is not being able to set the messages to
> default to unread, but being EASILY switching to ALL from the eyeball.

Well the "eyeball" does seem to be sticky per folder, not tried it
exhaustively, also not tried if the quick filter bar has got sticky as well

Re: Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115

<kpultrFu7gnU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1717&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#1717

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:22:20 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 08:22 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> ([[br) />
> ^^^^^^^^^
> not sure where this arrived from
Seems that v115.4.1 objects to leftover about:config settings to modify
reply headers?

I reverted mailnews.reply_header_type to default and it fixed it.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Maybe we should start a thread about Good things in 115