Death, when unnecessary, is a tragic thing. -- Flint, "Requiem for Methuselah", stardate 5843.7

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / spam

SubjectAuthor
* spamCarlos E. R.
+* Re: spamcandycanearter07
|`* Re: spamCarlos E. R.
| +- Re: spamcandycanearter07
| `* Re: spamJörg Lorenz
|  `- Re: spamCarlos E. R.
+- Re: spamAndreas Kohlbach
+* Re: spamComputer Nerd Kev
|+* Re: spamThe Doctor
||+* Re: spamComputer Nerd Kev
|||`* Re: spamCarlos E. R.
||| `* Re: spamThe Natural Philosopher
|||  `* Re: spamCarlos E. R.
|||   `* Re: spamThe Natural Philosopher
|||    `* Re: spamCarlos E. R.
|||     +- Re: spamThe Doctor
|||     +* Re: spamComputer Nerd Kev
|||     |+* Re: spamCarlos E. R.
|||     ||`* Re: spamcandycanearter07
|||     || `* Re: spamCarlos E. R.
|||     ||  `* Re: spamThe Natural Philosopher
|||     ||   +- Re: spamThe Doctor
|||     ||   `* Re: spamCarlos E. R.
|||     ||    +* Re: spamThe Natural Philosopher
|||     ||    |+- Re: spamRichard Kettlewell
|||     ||    |`* Re: spamCarlos E. R.
|||     ||    | `* Re: spamThe Natural Philosopher
|||     ||    |  `- Re: spamCarlos E. R.
|||     ||    `- Re: spamThe Doctor
|||     |`- Re: spamThe Natural Philosopher
|||     `* Re: spamThe Natural Philosopher
|||      `- Re: spamCarlos E. R.
||`* Re: spamJörg Lorenz
|| `* Re: spamThe Doctor
||  `- Re: spamJörg Lorenz
|+- Re: spamCarlos E. R.
|`* Re: spamPopping Mad
| +- Re: spamBobbie Sellers
| `- Re: spamCarlos E. R.
+- Re: spamJörg Lorenz
+* Re: spamThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: spamAndy Burns
| `- Re: spamThe Natural Philosopher
`* Blocking Spam from Google Groups (Was: spam)rdh
 +- Re: Blocking Spam from Google Groups (Was: spam)Johnny
 +- Re: Blocking Spam from Google Groups (Was: spam)Jörg Lorenz
 `* Re: Blocking Spam from Google GroupsHarri
  +- Re: Blocking Spam from Google GroupsThe Doctor
  `- Re: Blocking Spam from Google GroupsThomas Zajic

Pages:12
spam

<kotq98Fc7q4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13808&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13808

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: spam
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 23:14:16 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 21:14 UTC

I notice since a day or two that this group is being bombarded with spam
in Thai (with a gmail address). Depending when I look at the group, if I
click on one Thunderbird says the article has expired and suggest to
remove all expired articles, which I do.

Sometimes I can read the spam (it is about gambling, so they have money
backing their nuisance).

So I assume that someone at some usenet server is purging them somewhat
later (minutes). I don't know if that cleaning job works for the entire
internet or only for my upstream.

Fortunately, so far only seems to happen on one of my subscribed groups,
this one.

Why does some one thinks that spamming Usenet is a good idea?

Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: spam

<ugccqo$3b8go$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13809&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13809

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: spam
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:28:56 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 21:28 UTC

On 10/13/23 16:14, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Why does some one thinks that spamming Usenet is a good idea?

As long as there's a community, there will be bad people.

> Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.

Thunderbird has general filters, if you go to Tools->Message Filters.
Remember to set it as an account filter though, it defaults to only
targeting the newsgroup you are viewing.

Re: spam

<kott3nFc7q4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13810&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13810

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:02:31 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 22:02 UTC

On 2023-10-13 23:28, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 10/13/23 16:14, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> Why does some one thinks that spamming Usenet is a good idea?
>
> As long as there's a community, there will be bad people.
>
>> Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.
>
> Thunderbird has general filters, if you go to Tools->Message Filters.
> Remember to set it as an account filter though, it defaults to only
> targeting the newsgroup you are viewing.

That's a poor substitute. You have to know some fixed header string on
which to filter, as compared to a huge filtering heuristics of a proper
spam filter. Including some bayessian filtering.

And a lot of work, compared to just pressing "J".

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: spam

<ugcitq$3b8go$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13811&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13811

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 18:12:57 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 23:12 UTC

On 10/13/23 17:02, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> That's a poor substitute. You have to know some fixed header string on
> which to filter, as compared to a huge filtering heuristics of a proper
> spam filter. Including some bayessian filtering.
>
> And a lot of work, compared to just pressing "J".

Fair. For some reason, at least on Betterbird, there is a spam button
when using the "Search messages" button on the account info page. So I'm
not sure why the normal viewer doesn't have it.

Re: spam

<874jiuysla.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13812&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13812

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:07:29 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:07 UTC

On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 23:14:16 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I notice since a day or two that this group is being bombarded with
> spam in Thai (with a gmail address). Depending when I look at the
> group, if I click on one Thunderbird says the article has expired and
> suggest to remove all expired articles, which I do.
>
> Sometimes I can read the spam (it is about gambling, so they have
> money backing their nuisance).

Most spam has.

> So I assume that someone at some usenet server is purging them
> somewhat later (minutes). I don't know if that cleaning job works for
> the entire internet or only for my upstream.

May be the news server's cleanfeed function just triggered.
--
Andreas

Re: spam

<6529dfef@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13813&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13813

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 14 Oct 2023 10:25:19 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:25 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> I notice since a day or two that this group is being bombarded with spam
> in Thai (with a gmail address). Depending when I look at the group, if I
> click on one Thunderbird says the article has expired and suggest to
> remove all expired articles, which I do.

It seems to be spreading through vaious groups. comp.arch was affected
earlier, and people have been complaining loudly about the same spam in
comp.lang.c and sci.crypt for a few days. All from Google Groups, as
usual.

> Sometimes I can read the spam (it is about gambling, so they have money
> backing their nuisance).

I've got Tin built without UTF-8 support so all the foreign
characters are just represented as "?". This made it easy to craft
some filters based on the subject line of these, allegedly Thai,
spam messages:

comment=Thai Google Groups Spam
group=comp.*
case=0
score=kill
subj=\?*

comment=Thai Google Groups Spam
group=comp.*
case=0
score=kill
subj=*\?\?\?\?\?\?\?*

In wildcard pattern matching mode, this filters out any post with
a subject line starting with "?", or with seven "?" in a row.
Anyone who genuinely uses "?" like that in a subject line is
obviously an idiot, so I don't mind filtering them out by accident.
For now only comp.* groups that I subscribe to are affected, but I
might soon need to apply it to all groups.

> So I assume that someone at some usenet server is purging them somewhat
> later (minutes). I don't know if that cleaning job works for the entire
> internet or only for my upstream.

news.admin.net-abuse.usenet has much discussion about it, including
efforts by a couple of server admins with filtering it out. The
server I'm using seems to still be sucking in all of it, but the
above rules are serving me fine for filtering it out at my end
anyway.

In the worst case most newsreaders should have a way to filter out
all posts from Google Groups, as many have suggested. Unfortunately
some of the affected groups have a few real human GG users.

> Fortunately, so far only seems to happen on one of my subscribed groups,
> this one.
>
> Why does some one thinks that spamming Usenet is a good idea?

Again already much discussed at news.admin.net-abuse.usenet, but
mainly it's just because, with Google asleep at the wheel, they
can. If it _might_ help with their search engine rankings or
whatever, then there's little cost for them to try. The real
problem is Google for letting it happen, even though they're vastly
better resourced to deal with the issue than any other news server
operator, they just don't care.

> Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.

That's surprising. I've never used Thunderbird myself, but I wonder
if there's a separate filter system for NNTP, because unlike when
getting Email via POP, the contents of a post can't be fully
scanned until you view it because only then is the body of the
message downloaded (in most news readers anyway).

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: spam

<ugco34$35g$4@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13814&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13814

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:41:08 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:41 UTC

In article <6529dfef@news.ausics.net>,
Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Why does some one thinks that spamming Usenet is a good idea?
>
>Again already much discussed at news.admin.net-abuse.usenet, but
>mainly it's just because, with Google asleep at the wheel, they
>can. If it _might_ help with their search engine rankings or
>whatever, then there's little cost for them to try. The real
>problem is Google for letting it happen, even though they're vastly
>better resourced to deal with the issue than any other news server
>operator, they just don't care.
>
>> Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.
>
>That's surprising. I've never used Thunderbird myself, but I wonder
>if there's a separate filter system for NNTP, because unlike when
>getting Email via POP, the contents of a post can't be fully
>scanned until you view it because only then is the body of the
>message downloaded (in most news readers anyway).

Or convince the news admin to drop google groups post all together!

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: spam

<6529e74b@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13815&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13815

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 14 Oct 2023 10:56:44 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:56 UTC

The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
> In article <6529dfef@news.ausics.net>,
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>>That's surprising. I've never used Thunderbird myself, but I wonder
>>if there's a separate filter system for NNTP, because unlike when
>>getting Email via POP, the contents of a post can't be fully
>>scanned until you view it because only then is the body of the
>>message downloaded (in most news readers anyway).
>>
> Or convince the news admin to drop google groups post all together!

I just got around to checking news.admin.net-abuse.usenet myself,
and I see you already did convince the admin of my news server last
night. I've read a fair few legit posts from GG in the last few
weeks, and replied to one earlier today, but I'll see how I go
without. I've added the notice in my sig so that people replying to
me from there (which also happened only a fortnight ago) know
they're wasting their time.

Hopefully those GG users all see it and decide to post from a
decent news server instead, but I doubt they will.

I've been bloody bored on Usenet lately anyway, so I'm rather
worried about cutting off even more content. But I'll give it a few
days and see how it goes...

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: spam

<ugd6eq$7jf0$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13818&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13818

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:46:18 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 04:46 UTC

Am 13.10.23 um 23:14 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.

Sure! I filter them out with my TB.
Tools - Message Filters. Choose the server you subscribe to.

The spam is sent over google:

Injection-Info contains google-groups.googlegroups.com

Ignore subthread

Then activate Logging.

HTH, Jörg

--
Manus manum lavat

Re: spam

<ugd6i3$7jf1$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13819&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13819

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:48:03 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 04:48 UTC

On 14.10.23 00:02, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-10-13 23:28, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> On 10/13/23 16:14, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>> Why does some one thinks that spamming Usenet is a good idea?
>>
>> As long as there's a community, there will be bad people.
>>
>>> Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.
>>
>> Thunderbird has general filters, if you go to Tools->Message Filters.
>> Remember to set it as an account filter though, it defaults to only
>> targeting the newsgroup you are viewing.
>
> That's a poor substitute. You have to know some fixed header string on
> which to filter, as compared to a huge filtering heuristics of a proper
> spam filter. Including some bayessian filtering.
>
> And a lot of work, compared to just pressing "J".

Seriously? TB can do that for you in the background. No pressing of
anything.

--
Manus manum lavat

Re: spam

<ugd6ma$7jf1$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13820&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13820

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:50:18 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 04:50 UTC

On 14.10.23 02:41, The Doctor wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Again already much discussed at news.admin.net-abuse.usenet, but
>> mainly it's just because, with Google asleep at the wheel, they
>> can. If it _might_ help with their search engine rankings or
>> whatever, then there's little cost for them to try. The real
>> problem is Google for letting it happen, even though they're vastly
>> better resourced to deal with the issue than any other news server
>> operator, they just don't care.
>>
>>> Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.
>>
>> That's surprising. I've never used Thunderbird myself, but I wonder
>> if there's a separate filter system for NNTP, because unlike when
>> getting Email via POP, the contents of a post can't be fully
>> scanned until you view it because only then is the body of the
>> message downloaded (in most news readers anyway).
>>
> Or convince the news admin to drop google groups post all together!

Nonsense. 2 minutes investment in a TB-filter works much better and more
reliably.

--
Manus manum lavat

Re: spam

<ugdqc8$3pvr4$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13824&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13824

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:26:16 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 10:26 UTC

On 13/10/2023 22:14, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.

It most certainly does. You may have to be creative about how you use
them however

In practice, there is.
-- Yogi Berra

Re: spam

<kovdc0FmchqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13825&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13825

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:46:09 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:46 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.
>
> It most certainly does. You may have to be creative about how you use
> them however

It has message filters that a user can manually configure, for email it
has a Bayesian spam filter that you can teach, or allow it to learn,
however *that* doesn't apply to usenet ...

Re: spam

<ugdvvn$3repn$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13826&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13826

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:01:59 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:01 UTC

On 14/10/2023 12:46, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.
>>
>> It most certainly does. You may have to be creative about how you use
>> them however
>
> It has message filters that a user can manually configure, for email it
> has a Bayesian spam filter that you can teach, or allow it to learn,
> however *that* doesn't apply to usenet ...

Accepted. But I find that the message filers are more than adequate

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Re: spam

<kovftlFm0tmU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13828&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13828

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:29:41 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:29 UTC

On 2023-10-14 06:48, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 14.10.23 00:02, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>>
>>> As long as there's a community, there will be bad people.

>>> Thunderbird has general filters, if you go to Tools->Message Filters.
>>> Remember to set it as an account filter though, it defaults to only
>>> targeting the newsgroup you are viewing.
>>
>> That's a poor substitute. You have to know some fixed header string on
>> which to filter, as compared to a huge filtering heuristics of a proper
>> spam filter. Including some bayessian filtering.
>>
>> And a lot of work, compared to just pressing "J".
>
> Seriously? TB can do that for you in the background. No pressing of
> anything.

Yes, seriously.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: spam

<kovg7dFm0tnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13829&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13829

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:34:52 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:34 UTC

On 2023-10-14 02:25, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> I notice since a day or two that this group is being bombarded with spam
>> in Thai (with a gmail address). Depending when I look at the group, if I
>> click on one Thunderbird says the article has expired and suggest to
>> remove all expired articles, which I do.
>
> It seems to be spreading through vaious groups. comp.arch was affected
> earlier, and people have been complaining loudly about the same spam in
> comp.lang.c and sci.crypt for a few days. All from Google Groups, as
> usual.
>
>> Sometimes I can read the spam (it is about gambling, so they have money
>> backing their nuisance).
>
> I've got Tin built without UTF-8 support so all the foreign
> characters are just represented as "?". This made it easy to craft
> some filters based on the subject line of these, allegedly Thai,
> spam messages:
>
> comment=Thai Google Groups Spam
> group=comp.*
> case=0
> score=kill
> subj=\?*
>
> comment=Thai Google Groups Spam
> group=comp.*
> case=0
> score=kill
> subj=*\?\?\?\?\?\?\?*
>
> In wildcard pattern matching mode, this filters out any post with
> a subject line starting with "?", or with seven "?" in a row.
> Anyone who genuinely uses "?" like that in a subject line is
> obviously an idiot, so I don't mind filtering them out by accident.
> For now only comp.* groups that I subscribe to are affected, but I
> might soon need to apply it to all groups.
>
>> So I assume that someone at some usenet server is purging them somewhat
>> later (minutes). I don't know if that cleaning job works for the entire
>> internet or only for my upstream.
>
> news.admin.net-abuse.usenet has much discussion about it, including
> efforts by a couple of server admins with filtering it out. The
> server I'm using seems to still be sucking in all of it, but the
> above rules are serving me fine for filtering it out at my end
> anyway.
>
> In the worst case most newsreaders should have a way to filter out
> all posts from Google Groups, as many have suggested. Unfortunately
> some of the affected groups have a few real human GG users.

Yes, I have such a filter, but instead of deleting I change colour.

>> Fortunately, so far only seems to happen on one of my subscribed groups,
>> this one.
>>
>> Why does some one thinks that spamming Usenet is a good idea?
>
> Again already much discussed at news.admin.net-abuse.usenet, but
> mainly it's just because, with Google asleep at the wheel, they
> can. If it _might_ help with their search engine rankings or
> whatever, then there's little cost for them to try. The real
> problem is Google for letting it happen, even though they're vastly
> better resourced to deal with the issue than any other news server
> operator, they just don't care.

Yes, that is a shame.

>> Unfortunately, Thunderbird has no spam filters on Usenet.
>
> That's surprising. I've never used Thunderbird myself, but I wonder
> if there's a separate filter system for NNTP, because unlike when
> getting Email via POP, the contents of a post can't be fully
> scanned until you view it because only then is the body of the
> message downloaded (in most news readers anyway).

There is the normal filtering. You write your own specific filter, and
it works. Of course the filter works in the background, but writing it
doesn't, it is a human writing it.

Thanks for your post, very informative. Just what I hopped. :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: spam

<kovgbuFm0tnU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13830&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13830

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:37:18 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:37 UTC

On 2023-10-14 02:56, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>> In article <6529dfef@news.ausics.net>,
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>>> That's surprising. I've never used Thunderbird myself, but I wonder
>>> if there's a separate filter system for NNTP, because unlike when
>>> getting Email via POP, the contents of a post can't be fully
>>> scanned until you view it because only then is the body of the
>>> message downloaded (in most news readers anyway).
>>>
>> Or convince the news admin to drop google groups post all together!
>
> I just got around to checking news.admin.net-abuse.usenet myself,
> and I see you already did convince the admin of my news server last
> night. I've read a fair few legit posts from GG in the last few
> weeks, and replied to one earlier today, but I'll see how I go
> without. I've added the notice in my sig so that people replying to
> me from there (which also happened only a fortnight ago) know
> they're wasting their time.
>
> Hopefully those GG users all see it and decide to post from a
> decent news server instead, but I doubt they will.
>
> I've been bloody bored on Usenet lately anyway, so I'm rather
> worried about cutting off even more content. But I'll give it a few
> days and see how it goes...

I was thinking of that, deny GG write access to Usenet, on all servers.
I don't know how they are connected, maybe doing that in a few servers
would work.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: spam

<uge2ls$3s2mq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13831&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13831

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:47:56 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:47 UTC

On 14/10/2023 13:37, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I was thinking of that, deny GG write access to Usenet, on all servers.
> I don't know how they are connected, maybe doing that in a few servers
> would work.

You lose very little by that action.
I am not sure I didn't do that years ago,

--
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.

Re: spam

<uge405$170e$7@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13832&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13832

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:10:29 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:10 UTC

In article <ugd6ma$7jf1$2@solani.org>, Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>On 14.10.23 02:41, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <6529dfef@news.ausics.net>,
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems to be spreading through vaious groups. comp.arch was affected
>>> earlier, and people have been complaining loudly about the same spam in
>>> comp.lang.c and sci.crypt for a few days. All from Google Groups, as
>>> usual.

>>> I've got Tin built without UTF-8 support so all the foreign
>>> characters are just represented as "?". This made it easy to craft
>>> some filters based on the subject line of these, allegedly Thai,
>>> spam messages:
>>>
>>> comment=Thai Google Groups Spam
>>> group=comp.*
>>> case=0
>>> score=kill
>>> subj=\?*
>>>
>>> comment=Thai Google Groups Spam
>>> group=comp.*
>>> case=0
>>> score=kill
>>> subj=*\?\?\?\?\?\?\?*
>>>
>>> In wildcard pattern matching mode, this filters out any post with
>>> a subject line starting with "?", or with seven "?" in a row.
>>> Anyone who genuinely uses "?" like that in a subject line is
>>> obviously an idiot, so I don't mind filtering them out by accident.
>>> For now only comp.* groups that I subscribe to are affected, but I
>>> might soon need to apply it to all groups.

>>> news.admin.net-abuse.usenet has much discussion about it, including
>>> efforts by a couple of server admins with filtering it out. The
>>> server I'm using seems to still be sucking in all of it, but the
>>> above rules are serving me fine for filtering it out at my end
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> In the worst case most newsreaders should have a way to filter out
>>> all posts from Google Groups, as many have suggested. Unfortunately
>>> some of the affected groups have a few real human GG users.

>>> Again already much discussed at news.admin.net-abuse.usenet, but
>>> mainly it's just because, with Google asleep at the wheel, they
>>> can. If it _might_ help with their search engine rankings or
>>> whatever, then there's little cost for them to try. The real
>>> problem is Google for letting it happen, even though they're vastly
>>> better resourced to deal with the issue than any other news server
>>> operator, they just don't care.

>>> That's surprising. I've never used Thunderbird myself, but I wonder
>>> if there's a separate filter system for NNTP, because unlike when
>>> getting Email via POP, the contents of a post can't be fully
>>> scanned until you view it because only then is the body of the
>>> message downloaded (in most news readers anyway).
>>>
>> Or convince the news admin to drop google groups post all together!
>
>Nonsense. 2 minutes investment in a TB-filter works much better and more
>reliably.

Let the admins do the work so you do not have to an enjoy!

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: spam

<uge4lj$7ub7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13833&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13833

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:21:55 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:21 UTC

Am 14.10.23 um 15:10 schrieb The Doctor:
> -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
> Yahweh, King & country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist
> rising! Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism ; unsubscribe from Google
> Groups to be seen Amplify bad by pretending it isn't there. -unknown
> Beware https://mindspring.com

Bigot and antisocial Troll!

--
Alea iacta est

Re: spam

<kovkn7Fm0tmU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13834&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13834

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:51:35 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:51 UTC

On 2023-10-14 14:47, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 14/10/2023 13:37, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> I was thinking of that, deny GG write access to Usenet, on all
>> servers. I don't know how they are connected, maybe doing that in a
>> few servers would work.
>>
> You lose very little by that action.
> I am not sure I didn't do that years ago,

You did? Do you control a big server that feeds GG to the entire Usenet?

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: spam

<uge7lf$3t1q3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13835&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13835

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:13:03 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:13 UTC

On 14/10/2023 14:51, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-10-14 14:47, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 14/10/2023 13:37, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking of that, deny GG write access to Usenet, on all
>>> servers. I don't know how they are connected, maybe doing that in a
>>> few servers would work.
>>>
>> You lose very little by that action.
>> I am not sure I didn't do that years ago,
>>

> You did? Do you control a big server that feeds GG to the entire Usenet?

No, I control the little server where I read google groups.
If everybody simply killfiles Google groups, it will achieve the desired
result.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? … Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

Re: spam

<kovm5kFm0tmU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13836&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13836

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 16:16:20 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:16 UTC

On 2023-10-14 16:13, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 14/10/2023 14:51, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> You lose very little by that action.
>>> I am not sure I didn't do that years ago,
>>>

>> You did? Do you control a big server that feeds GG to the entire Usenet?
>>

> No, I control the little server where I read google groups.
> If everybody simply killfiles Google groups, it will achieve the desired
> result.

If all the Usenet big servers lock out GG for write access, it is
possible that Google listens and does something about spam coming out of
their systems.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: spam

<uge83b$2dis$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13837&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13837

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:20:27 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:20 UTC

In article <kovm5kFm0tmU5@mid.individual.net>,
Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>On 2023-10-14 16:13, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> You did? Do you control a big server that feeds GG to the entire Usenet?
>>>

>> No, I control the little server where I read google groups.
>> If everybody simply killfiles Google groups, it will achieve the desired
>> result.
>
>If all the Usenet big servers lock out GG for write access, it is
>possible that Google listens and does something about spam coming out of
>their systems.

Exactly what I am calling for!

also

http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/index.html

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: spam

<652b17e9@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13839&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13839

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 15 Oct 2023 08:36:25 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 22:36 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-10-14 16:13, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> You did? Do you control a big server that feeds GG to the entire Usenet?
>>>
>> No, I control the little server where I read google groups.
>> If everybody simply killfiles Google groups, it will achieve the desired
>> result.
>
> If all the Usenet big servers lock out GG for write access, it is
> possible that Google listens and does something about spam coming out of
> their systems.

I'm not sure how Google would know it was happening unless someone
influential there reads Usenet directly themselves, which pretty
obviously isn't the case. The news servers peering with them could
block connections from them entirely, which might raise an issue
with someone more interested than the people handling complaints,
but I'm not sure that the admins of those news servers are active
in the recent discussion.

I also wonder if the person currently in charge of the GG back-end,
burried anonymously in some Google office, really knows what Usenet
is? Or whether they just see it as some obscure part of the mailing
list gateway that was implemented eons ago by programmers long
forgotten?

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |