From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Mac OS9: OStalgia edition (modern workflow/classic GUI)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:03:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RS Wood - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:03 UTC

From the «really clever, possibly an improvement» department:
Feed: Daring Fireball
Title: ‘Mac OS 9: OStalgia Edition’
Author: John Gruber
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 20:08:27 -0500
Link: http://swallowmygraphicdesign.com/project/macostalgia

Michael Feeney:

(mac)OStalgia is exploring my 2021 work-from-home routine from a nostalgic
perspective. How would have the same workflow looked like with the tools of
today and the limitations of yesterday. Unreliable internet, little disk
storage, macOS 9 and much more.

This project is delightful: reimagining modern apps like Slack, Zoom, and Figma
on Mac OS 9. There are numerous details I’d quibble with (multiple windows
active at the same time, for example), but it brought me joy to explore these
designs and watch his video of them in action. I miss this style of UI design
very much — not the exact look, per se, but the spirit of emphasizing clarity
above all else, where content fields are clearly content fields, input focus is
clear, and buttons look like buttons.
★ [1]

Links:
[1]: https://daringfireball.net/linked/2021/12/22/mac-os-9-ostalgia (link)

--
Port 80 is overrated.

Re: Mac OS9: OStalgia edition (modern workflow/classic GUI)

<slrnsthkcc.n7u.ander@slackware.home.local>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1363&group=comp.misc#1363

From: ander@disroot.org (Ander GM)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 14:12:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ander GM - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 14:12 UTC

On 2022-01-03, RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote:
> From the «really clever, possibly an improvement» department:
> Feed: Daring Fireball
> Title: ‘Mac OS 9: OStalgia Edition’
> Author: John Gruber
> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 20:08:27 -0500
> Link: http://swallowmygraphicdesign.com/project/macostalgia
>
> Michael Feeney:
>
> (mac)OStalgia is exploring my 2021 work-from-home routine from a nostalgic
> perspective. How would have the same workflow looked like with the tools of
> today and the limitations of yesterday. Unreliable internet, little disk
> storage, macOS 9 and much more.
>
> This project is delightful: reimagining modern apps like Slack, Zoom, and Figma
> on Mac OS 9. There are numerous details I’d quibble with (multiple windows
> active at the same time, for example), but it brought me joy to explore these
> designs and watch his video of them in action. I miss this style of UI design
> very much — not the exact look, per se, but the spirit of emphasizing clarity
> above all else, where content fields are clearly content fields, input focus is
> clear, and buttons look like buttons.
> ★ [1]
>
> Links:
> [1]: https://daringfireball.net/linked/2021/12/22/mac-os-9-ostalgia (link)

Well, with Bitlbee and some IRC client for OS9 (install Bitlbee on a LANed rpi)
you can connect to any service supported by Pidgin.

Re: Mac OS9: OStalgia edition (modern workflow/classic GUI)

<0L6dnV6-k9CAlnD8nZ2dnUU7-aOdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1366&group=comp.misc#1366

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 02:00:29 -0600
 by: Ant - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 08:00 UTC

Wait, can we use this in our computers?

RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote:
> From the «really clever, possibly an improvement» department:
> Feed: Daring Fireball
> Title: ???Mac OS 9: OStalgia Edition???
> Author: John Gruber
> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 20:08:27 -0500
> Link: http://swallowmygraphicdesign.com/project/macostalgia

> Michael Feeney:

> (mac)OStalgia is exploring my 2021 work-from-home routine from a nostalgic
> perspective. How would have the same workflow looked like with the tools of
> today and the limitations of yesterday. Unreliable internet, little disk
> storage, macOS 9 and much more.

> This project is delightful: reimagining modern apps like Slack, Zoom, and Figma
> on Mac OS 9. There are numerous details I???d quibble with (multiple windows
> active at the same time, for example), but it brought me joy to explore these
> designs and watch his video of them in action. I miss this style of UI design
> very much ??? not the exact look, per se, but the spirit of emphasizing clarity
> above all else, where content fields are clearly content fields, input focus is
> clear, and buttons look like buttons.
> ??? [1]

> Links:
> [1]: https://daringfireball.net/linked/2021/12/22/mac-os-9-ostalgia (link)

--
Slammy CATurday outside the warm and windy nest with many humans working outside, commmuting, etc.
| |o o| |