C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas l'Informatique. -- Bosquet [on seeing the IBM 4341]

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

SubjectAuthor
* "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"DFS
`* Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"Tyrone
 +* Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"vallor
 |`* Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"Borax Man
 | `* Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"RonB
 |  `- Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"Andrzej Matuch
 +* Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows" Doofus 2020 EditionChris Ahlstrom
 |`- Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows" Doofus 2020 EditionDFS
 +* Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"DFS
 |`* Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"Stéphane CARPENTIER
 | `- Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"RonB
 +- Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"Stéphane CARPENTIER
 `* Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"RonB
  `* Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"Andrzej Matuch
   `- Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"RonB

1
"Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<uvf4mo$38je5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13643&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13643

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 19:32:39 -0400
 by: DFS - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:32 UTC

"We've just moved some of our software to run on Linux instead of
Windows nodes and the CPU usage increased significantly.

Windows: 41mc
Linux: 226-231mc
Factor of 5.5x

I added new traces and counters for linux and windows in comparable idle
situation.
From the counters I can see now that CPU usage is:

windows: Average = 0.2%.
linux: Average = 1.13%"

https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/71921

I got similar results when Linux consumed 21% of the CPU just moving a
Thunderbird window around, but Windows used no more than 6% doing the
same thing.

Linux: https://ibb.co/CJzXdBb
Windows: https://ibb.co/JBBkqWs

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<HNWcnQdK95LQz4b7nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13664&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13664

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 03:49:33 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 03:49 UTC

On Apr 13, 2024 at 7:32:39 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

> I got similar results when Linux consumed 21% of the CPU just moving a
> Thunderbird window around, but Windows used no more than 6% doing the
> same thing.
>
> Linux: https://ibb.co/CJzXdBb
> Windows: https://ibb.co/JBBkqWs

Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows. No one
cares about video performance on Linux, since 99% of Linux usage is as
DB/App/Web servers. Most of those are headless. No video card needed.

Windows has better video performance because Windows is the front end. Linux
is the backend. Both for obvious reasons.

Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand great
video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming platform
(which, let's face it, has about the same probability as Windows becoming a
great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card makers will start caring
about video performance on Linux.

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<uvfml9$3e9jj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13666&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13666

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 04:39:05 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 04:39 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 03:49:33 +0000, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote in
<HNWcnQdK95LQz4b7nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@supernews.com>:

> Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand
> great video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming
> platform (which, let's face it, has about the same probability as
> Windows becoming a great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card
> makers will start caring about video performance on Linux.

I game exclusively on Linux using proton, through SteamPlay, on Steam.
My games are _Elite Dangerous Odyssey_ and _Starfield_.

Instead of using Windows' DirectX, proton uses the Vulkan-backed DXVK,
which can be faster than Windows.

Haven't played Starfield in a while, but EDO is capped at 90fps, which
is fine for my 60fps 4K monitor. I don't think the NVidia proprietary
drivers are a bottleneck.

--
-v

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<20240414173135.76cb1bd7@Nostromo>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13669&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13669

From: rotflol2@hotmail.com (Borax Man)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:31:35 +1000
 by: Borax Man - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 07:31 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 04:39:05 -0000 (UTC)
vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 03:49:33 +0000, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote in
> <HNWcnQdK95LQz4b7nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@supernews.com>:
>
> > Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand
> > great video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming
> > platform (which, let's face it, has about the same probability as
> > Windows becoming a great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card
> > makers will start caring about video performance on Linux.
>
> I game exclusively on Linux using proton, through SteamPlay, on Steam.
> My games are _Elite Dangerous Odyssey_ and _Starfield_.
>
> Instead of using Windows' DirectX, proton uses the Vulkan-backed DXVK,
> which can be faster than Windows.
>
> Haven't played Starfield in a while, but EDO is capped at 90fps, which
> is fine for my 60fps 4K monitor. I don't think the NVidia proprietary
> drivers are a bottleneck.

I've got a Thinkpad T480S, dual boot Windows 10 and Debian 12, and on
the occasions I boot into Windows, it fires up the fans, even just
booting it. Whereas on Debian, fans rarely get going. Don't know
exactly why, but both OS seem to run well, just that Debian (with FVWM
as the Window Manager) doesn't seem to stress the machine. I use the
same machine for work, and even then, doing light tasks the fans spin
up frequently.

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows" Doofus 2020 Edition

<uvglue$3ldb0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13672&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13672

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows" Doofus 2020
Edition
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:33:02 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:33 UTC

Tyrone wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Apr 13, 2024 at 7:32:39 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>> I got similar results when Linux consumed 21% of the CPU just moving a
>> Thunderbird window around, but Windows used no more than 6% doing the
>> same thing.
>>
>> Linux: https://ibb.co/CJzXdBb
>> Windows: https://ibb.co/JBBkqWs
>
> Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows. No one
> cares about video performance on Linux, since 99% of Linux usage is as
> DB/App/Web servers. Most of those are headless. No video card needed.

What a reliable source is DFS!

:-D

Not to mention the test is from 2020.

And how did he get that awful tearing? Was Doof running Linux in a VM?

> Windows has better video performance because Windows is the front end. Linux
> is the backend. Both for obvious reasons.
>
> Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand great
> video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming platform
> (which, let's face it, has about the same probability as Windows becoming a
> great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card makers will start caring
> about video performance on Linux.

Tag-team trolling!

--
Another good night not to sleep in a eucalyptus tree.

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows" Doofus 2020 Edition

<uvh3hc$3odh6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13677&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13677

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Edition
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:24:58 -0400
 by: DFS - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:24 UTC

On 4/14/2024 9:33 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Tyrone wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On Apr 13, 2024 at 7:32:39 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I got similar results when Linux consumed 21% of the CPU just moving a
>>> Thunderbird window around, but Windows used no more than 6% doing the
>>> same thing.
>>>
>>> Linux: https://ibb.co/CJzXdBb
>>> Windows: https://ibb.co/JBBkqWs
>>
>> Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows. No one
>> cares about video performance on Linux, since 99% of Linux usage is as
>> DB/App/Web servers. Most of those are headless. No video card needed.
>
> What a reliable source is DFS!
>
> :-D

I'm QUITE sure the results today will be similar.

To test I'll have to install Linux in dual-boot.

> Not to mention the test is from 2020.

And everything is fixed now.

> And how did he get that awful tearing?

I got that awful tearing because FOSS crapware programmers are let loose
with no adult supervision.

> Was Doof running Linux in a VM?

Going blind in your dotage?

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<uvh5f5$3oq8o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13681&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13681

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:57:56 -0400
 by: DFS - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:57 UTC

On 4/13/2024 11:49 PM, Tyrone wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2024 at 7:32:39 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>> I got similar results when Linux consumed 21% of the CPU just moving a
>> Thunderbird window around, but Windows used no more than 6% doing the
>> same thing.
>>
>> Linux: https://ibb.co/CJzXdBb
>> Windows: https://ibb.co/JBBkqWs
>
> Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows.

Most likely I was using the proprietary nVidia driver for Linux and Windows.

Either way, Linuxfux will make some lame excuse.

> No one
> cares about video performance on Linux, since 99% of Linux usage is as
> DB/App/Web servers. Most of those are headless. No video card needed.
>
> Windows has better video performance because Windows is the front end. Linux
> is the backend. Both for obvious reasons.
>
> Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand great
> video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming platform
> (which, let's face it, has about the same probability as Windows becoming a
> great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card makers will start caring
> about video performance on Linux.

They already do. nVidia has been releasing parity drivers for Linux and
Windows for years.

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<661c3486$0$11926$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13687&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13687

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 14 Apr 2024 19:54:46 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 19:54 UTC

Le 14-04-2024, Tyrone <none@none.none> a écrit :
> On Apr 13, 2024 at 7:32:39 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>> I got similar results when Linux consumed 21% of the CPU just moving a
>> Thunderbird window around, but Windows used no more than 6% doing the
>> same thing.
>>
>> Linux: https://ibb.co/CJzXdBb
>> Windows: https://ibb.co/JBBkqWs
>
> Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows. No one
> cares about video performance on Linux, since 99% of Linux usage is as
> DB/App/Web servers. Most of those are headless. No video card needed.

That was right something like 20 years ago. But recently games have
really improved on Linux. And games need video cards. It's probably one
reason why Linux Desktop improved recently (the other reason is that
Indians are really using Linux for real now)

> Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand great
> video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming platform
> (which, let's face it, has about the same probability as Windows becoming a
> great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card makers will start caring
> about video performance on Linux.

Your information are really outdated on the subject. So your previsions
are bad.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<661c36a0$0$3264$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13688&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13688

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 14 Apr 2024 20:03:44 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:03 UTC

Le 14-04-2024, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> a écrit :
> On 4/13/2024 11:49 PM, Tyrone wrote:
>> On Apr 13, 2024 at 7:32:39 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I got similar results when Linux consumed 21% of the CPU just moving a
>>> Thunderbird window around, but Windows used no more than 6% doing the
>>> same thing.
>>>
>>> Linux: https://ibb.co/CJzXdBb
>>> Windows: https://ibb.co/JBBkqWs
>>
>> Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows.
>

> Most likely I was using the proprietary nVidia driver for Linux and Windows.
>
> Either way, Linuxfux will make some lame excuse.

I don't know and I don't care. What I know is I see a lot of people with
an old computer running Windows with difficulties because it's too slow.
And when we put Linux on it it gives life back to the computer.

So, I already see you have some issues with Linux which looks like you
are the only one in the world to encounter. I have no explanation. But
generally, from my experience, Linux is faster than Windows.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<uvnqev$1etv0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13764&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13764

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 06:33:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 06:33 UTC

On 2024-04-14, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2024 at 7:32:39 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>> I got similar results when Linux consumed 21% of the CPU just moving a
>> Thunderbird window around, but Windows used no more than 6% doing the
>> same thing.
>>
>> Linux: https://ibb.co/CJzXdBb
>> Windows: https://ibb.co/JBBkqWs
>
> Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows. No one
> cares about video performance on Linux, since 99% of Linux usage is as
> DB/App/Web servers. Most of those are headless. No video card needed.
>
> Windows has better video performance because Windows is the front end. Linux
> is the backend. Both for obvious reasons.

All I know is that my fans run a lot louder and my computer is hotter when I
try Windows than when I'm running Linux.

> Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand great
> video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming platform
> (which, let's face it, has about the same probability as Windows becoming a
> great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card makers will start caring
> about video performance on Linux.

Linux has to work a lot harder to run Windows games. They're native to
Windows. So they should run better on Windows.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<uvnqhj$1etv0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13765&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13765

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 06:34:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 06:34 UTC

On 2024-04-14, Borax Man <rotflol2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 04:39:05 -0000 (UTC)
> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 03:49:33 +0000, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote in
>> <HNWcnQdK95LQz4b7nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@supernews.com>:
>>
>> > Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand
>> > great video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming
>> > platform (which, let's face it, has about the same probability as
>> > Windows becoming a great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card
>> > makers will start caring about video performance on Linux.
>>
>> I game exclusively on Linux using proton, through SteamPlay, on Steam.
>> My games are _Elite Dangerous Odyssey_ and _Starfield_.
>>
>> Instead of using Windows' DirectX, proton uses the Vulkan-backed DXVK,
>> which can be faster than Windows.
>>
>> Haven't played Starfield in a while, but EDO is capped at 90fps, which
>> is fine for my 60fps 4K monitor. I don't think the NVidia proprietary
>> drivers are a bottleneck.
>
> I've got a Thinkpad T480S, dual boot Windows 10 and Debian 12, and on
> the occasions I boot into Windows, it fires up the fans, even just
> booting it. Whereas on Debian, fans rarely get going. Don't know
> exactly why, but both OS seem to run well, just that Debian (with FVWM
> as the Window Manager) doesn't seem to stress the machine. I use the
> same machine for work, and even then, doing light tasks the fans spin
> up frequently.

My experience as well when using my Dell computers. So I have trouble
believing Windows is more efficient.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."
"It was pride that changed angels into devils..." — St. Augustine

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<uvnqoi$1etv0$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13766&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13766

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 06:38:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 06:38 UTC

On 2024-04-14, Stéphane CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:
> Le 14-04-2024, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> a écrit :

>>> Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows.
>>

>> Most likely I was using the proprietary nVidia driver for Linux and Windows.
>>
>> Either way, Linuxfux will make some lame excuse.
>
> I don't know and I don't care. What I know is I see a lot of people with
> an old computer running Windows with difficulties because it's too slow.
> And when we put Linux on it it gives life back to the computer.

It definitely does. Even if Windows was faster (it's not) they choke down the
OS' speed with calls to "home," unwanted ads and virus checking.

> So, I already see you have some issues with Linux which looks like you
> are the only one in the world to encounter. I have no explanation. But
> generally, from my experience, Linux is faster than Windows.

Linux is always faster on my "trailing edge" computers.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."
"It was pride that changed angels into devils..." — St. Augustine

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<6626784e$0$2363148$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13913&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13913

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 10:46:34 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: andrzej@matu.ch (Andrzej Matuch)
 by: Andrzej Matuch - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 14:46 UTC

On 2024-04-17 2:33 a.m., RonB wrote:
> On 2024-04-14, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
>> On Apr 13, 2024 at 7:32:39 PM EDT, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I got similar results when Linux consumed 21% of the CPU just moving a
>>> Thunderbird window around, but Windows used no more than 6% doing the
>>> same thing.
>>>
>>> Linux: https://ibb.co/CJzXdBb
>>> Windows: https://ibb.co/JBBkqWs
>>
>> Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows. No one
>> cares about video performance on Linux, since 99% of Linux usage is as
>> DB/App/Web servers. Most of those are headless. No video card needed.
>>
>> Windows has better video performance because Windows is the front end. Linux
>> is the backend. Both for obvious reasons.
>
> All I know is that my fans run a lot louder and my computer is hotter when I
> try Windows than when I'm running Linux.
>
>> Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand great
>> video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming platform
>> (which, let's face it, has about the same probability as Windows becoming a
>> great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card makers will start caring
>> about video performance on Linux.
>
> Linux has to work a lot harder to run Windows games. They're native to
> Windows. So they should run better on Windows.

Apparently, they perform better in Linux if the GPU is made by AMD,
simply because of how optimized the open-source driver is. YouTube has a
number of tests showing this. For NVIDIA though, the performance is a
little worse.

--
Andrzej Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<v06spu$17feu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13925&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13925

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 23:45:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 23:45 UTC

On 2024-04-22, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
> On 2024-04-17 2:33 a.m., RonB wrote:

>>> Which is almost certainly due to better video card drivers on Windows. No one
>>> cares about video performance on Linux, since 99% of Linux usage is as
>>> DB/App/Web servers. Most of those are headless. No video card needed.
>>>
>>> Windows has better video performance because Windows is the front end. Linux
>>> is the backend. Both for obvious reasons.
>>
>> All I know is that my fans run a lot louder and my computer is hotter when I
>> try Windows than when I'm running Linux.
>>
>>> Not to mention all the games that run only on Windows, which demand great
>>> video performance. If/when Linux ever becomes a serious gaming platform
>>> (which, let's face it, has about the same probability as Windows becoming a
>>> great 24/7/365 backend server), high end video card makers will start caring
>>> about video performance on Linux.
>>
>> Linux has to work a lot harder to run Windows games. They're native to
>> Windows. So they should run better on Windows.
>
> Apparently, they perform better in Linux if the GPU is made by AMD,
> simply because of how optimized the open-source driver is. YouTube has a
> number of tests showing this. For NVIDIA though, the performance is a
> little worse.

I see. Thanks for the information.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."
"It was pride that changed angels into devils..." — St. Augustine

Re: "Much higher CPU Usage on Linux than on Windows"

<6627eeb9$0$3711196$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13957&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#13957

From: andrzej@matu.ch (Andrzej Matuch)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 23 Apr 2024 17:24:09 GMT
 by: Andrzej Matuch - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:24 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 06:34:27 +0000, RonB wrote:

> On 2024-04-14, Borax Man <rotflol2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 04:39:05 -0000 (UTC)
>> vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:

>>> I game exclusively on Linux using proton, through SteamPlay, on Steam.
>>> My games are _Elite Dangerous Odyssey_ and _Starfield_.
>>>
>>> Instead of using Windows' DirectX, proton uses the Vulkan-backed DXVK,
>>> which can be faster than Windows.
>>>
>>> Haven't played Starfield in a while, but EDO is capped at 90fps, which
>>> is fine for my 60fps 4K monitor. I don't think the NVidia proprietary
>>> drivers are a bottleneck.
>>
>> I've got a Thinkpad T480S, dual boot Windows 10 and Debian 12, and on
>> the occasions I boot into Windows, it fires up the fans, even just
>> booting it. Whereas on Debian, fans rarely get going. Don't know
>> exactly why, but both OS seem to run well, just that Debian (with FVWM
>> as the Window Manager) doesn't seem to stress the machine. I use the
>> same machine for work, and even then, doing light tasks the fans spin
>> up frequently.
>
> My experience as well when using my Dell computers. So I have trouble
> believing Windows is more efficient.

Windows has its advantages, but I wouldn't call it efficient either. Even
if it were, the reality is that Windows does not afford you the same kind
of control over your hardware that Linux does.

--
Andrzej (Andre) Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch