C Code. C Code Run. Run, Code, RUN! PLEASE!!!!

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: Copy and Paste

SubjectAuthor
* Copy and Pastephilo
`* Re: Copy and PasteJonathan N. Little
 `* Re: Copy and Pastephilo
  `* Re: Copy and Pastephilo
   `* Re: Copy and PasteJonathan N. Little
    +* Re: Copy and Pastephilo
    |`* Re: Copy and PasteJonathan N. Little
    | `- Re: Copy and Pastephilo
    `* Re: Copy and PasteMike Easter
     `- Re: Copy and Pastephilo

1
Copy and Paste

<sjdnhp$m9n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1351&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1351

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Copy and Paste
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 21:05:43 -0500
 by: philo - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 02:05 UTC

Ubuntu 20.04.

I can not use the context menu to paste a copied file to my
desktop...but I CAN paste it to my Desktop folder.

What the heck is going on?

Using both Nemo and Nautilus file managers.

I can drag and drop to my desktop with no problem but the inability to
use the context menu seems absurd.

Re: Copy and Paste

<sjdorv$tet$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1352&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1352

From: lws4art@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Copy and Paste
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 22:28:14 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 02:28 UTC

philo wrote:
> Ubuntu 20.04.
>
> I can not use the context menu to paste a copied file to my
> desktop...but I CAN paste it to my Desktop folder.
>
> What the heck is going on?
>

> Using both Nemo and Nautilus file managers.
>

> I can drag and drop to my desktop with no problem but the inability to
> use the context menu seems absurd.

20.04 uses Nautilus by default and Nautilus devs seem to "hate" anything
on Desktop. If you replace Nautilus desktop with Nemo Desktop You can
restore our familiar "Desktop". With Nemo Desktop you can open Nemo >
Edit >Preferences > Context Menus > [add options galore!]

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Copy and Paste

<sjelkt$2er$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1353&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1353

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 05:39:23 -0500
 by: philo - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:39 UTC

On 10/3/21 9:28 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> Ubuntu 20.04.
>>
>> I can not use the context menu to paste a copied file to my
>> desktop...but I CAN paste it to my Desktop folder.
>>
>> What the heck is going on?
>>

>> Using both Nemo and Nautilus file managers.
>>

>> I can drag and drop to my desktop with no problem but the inability to
>> use the context menu seems absurd.
>
> 20.04 uses Nautilus by default and Nautilus devs seem to "hate" anything
> on Desktop. If you replace Nautilus desktop with Nemo Desktop You can
> restore our familiar "Desktop". With Nemo Desktop you can open Nemo >
> Edit >Preferences > Context Menus > [add options galore!]

Thank you for the quick and easy reply.

Since I already have the file managers "Caja" and "Files" installed, it
was as simple as just uninstalling "Nautilus."

Now I'm all set

Re: Copy and Paste

<sjemtu$bkv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1354&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1354

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 06:01:16 -0500
 by: philo - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 11:01 UTC

On 10/4/21 5:39 AM, philo wrote:
> On 10/3/21 9:28 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> philo wrote:
>>> Ubuntu 20.04.
>>>
>>> I can not use the context menu to paste a copied file to my
>>> desktop...but I CAN paste it to my Desktop folder.
>>>
>>> What the heck is going on?
>>>

>>> Using both Nemo and Nautilus file managers.
>>>

>>> I can drag and drop to my desktop with no problem but the inability to
>>> use the context menu seems absurd.
>>
>> 20.04 uses Nautilus by default and Nautilus devs seem to "hate" anything
>> on Desktop. If you replace Nautilus desktop with Nemo Desktop You can
>> restore our familiar "Desktop". With Nemo Desktop you can open Nemo >
>> Edit >Preferences > Context Menus > [add options galore!]
>>

> Thank you for the quick and easy reply.
>
> Since I already have the file managers "Caja" and "Files" installed, it
> was as simple as just uninstalling "Nautilus."
>
> Now I'm all set

Meant to say I have Caja and Thunar installed.

BTW: If i access Caja through the "Home" icon on my desktop, I can paste
to my desktop.

If I access Caja through the launcher on my panel, I cannot paste to
desktop.

I think I will just take the launcher off the panel.

Re: Copy and Paste

<sjeqjj$rik$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1355&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1355

From: lws4art@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 08:04:01 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:04 UTC

philo wrote:

> Meant to say I have Caja and Thunar installed.
>
> BTW: If i access Caja through the "Home" icon on my desktop, I can paste
> to my desktop.
>
> If I access Caja through the launcher on my panel, I cannot paste to
> desktop.
>
> I think I will just take the launcher off the panel.

I've not use Caja, happy with Nemo. Just really don't understand the
GNOME folks hatred of the Desktop concept which has such a long history
in computing since the development in GUIs. Yes, feature creep can bloat
a application but removing a core functionality....

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Copy and Paste

<sjetbf$hc5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1356&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1356

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 07:50:54 -0500
 by: philo - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 12:50 UTC

On 10/4/21 7:04 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> philo wrote:
>

>> Meant to say I have Caja and Thunar installed.
>>
>> BTW: If i access Caja through the "Home" icon on my desktop, I can paste
>> to my desktop.
>>
>> If I access Caja through the launcher on my panel, I cannot paste to
>> desktop.
>>
>> I think I will just take the launcher off the panel.
>>

> I've not use Caja, happy with Nemo. Just really don't understand the
> GNOME folks hatred of the Desktop concept which has such a long history
> in computing since the development in GUIs. Yes, feature creep can bloat
> a application but removing a core functionality....

Well, I've been evaluating Win11 and I think Linux has a long ways to go
before they screw things up /that/ badly.

All was seemingly going well until I attached a drive that I wanted to
recover data from.

The system hung with the rotating circle so I tried a few more times
before I realized...without any annunciation it was running CHKDSK /F .

I returned an hour later and was locked out of my system!!!

The message said that I had either tried logging in or restarting too
many times and I needed to leave the machine on for two hours...then try
again.

No, one minor Linux "feature" that I did not like is not a major
disturbance even though I think it's a silly "bug."

Re: Copy and Paste

<sjflbr$ks4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1358&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1358

From: lws4art@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 15:40:41 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 19:40 UTC

philo wrote:
> On 10/4/21 7:04 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> philo wrote:
>>

>>> Meant to say I have Caja and Thunar installed.
>>>
>>> BTW: If i access Caja through the "Home" icon on my desktop, I can paste
>>> to my desktop.
>>>
>>> If I access Caja through the launcher on my panel, I cannot paste to
>>> desktop.
>>>
>>> I think I will just take the launcher off the panel.
>>>

>> I've not use Caja, happy with Nemo. Just really don't understand the
>> GNOME folks hatred of the Desktop concept which has such a long history
>> in computing since the development in GUIs. Yes, feature creep can bloat
>> a application but removing a core functionality....
>>

> Well, I've been evaluating Win11 and I think Linux has a long ways to go
> before they screw things up /that/ badly.

Motherboard has TPM 2.0 socket would need to get module
Drive MBR but could convert to GPT
CPU on 3rd gen Intel [buzzer]
Motherboard retail MSI with no "Secure" Boot [buzzer]

In no rush to upgrade so not on my radar.

> All was seemingly going well until I attached a drive that I wanted to
> recover data from.
>
> The system hung with the rotating circle so I tried a few more times
> before I realized...without any annunciation it was running CHKDSK /F .
>
> I returned an hour later and was locked out of my system!!!
>

> The message said that I had either tried logging in or restarting too
> many times and I needed to leave the machine on for two hours...then try
> again.

Part of MS "nanny-state OS" feature. Dump the MS Account login and use
Local Account.

> No, one minor Linux "feature" that I did not like is not a major
> disturbance even though I think it's a silly "bug."

IF only CorelDraw didn't abandon Linux support. Still waiting for
Inkscape to implement a layer manager as good as CD and this system will
be converted too.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Copy and Paste

<sjfopr$g6s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1359&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1359

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 15:39:22 -0500
 by: philo - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 20:39 UTC

On 10/4/21 2:40 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> philo wrote:

>>> I've not use Caja, happy with Nemo. Just really don't understand the
>>> GNOME folks hatred of the Desktop concept which has such a long history
>>> in computing since the development in GUIs. Yes, feature creep can bloat
>>> a application but removing a core functionality....
>>>

>> Well, I've been evaluating Win11 and I think Linux has a long ways to go
>> before they screw things up /that/ badly.
>
> Motherboard has TPM 2.0 socket would need to get module
> Drive MBR but could convert to GPT
> CPU on 3rd gen Intel [buzzer]
> Motherboard retail MSI with no "Secure" Boot [buzzer]
>
> In no rush to upgrade so not on my radar.
>

>> All was seemingly going well until I attached a drive that I wanted to
>> recover data from.
>>
>> The system hung with the rotating circle so I tried a few more times
>> before I realized...without any annunciation it was running CHKDSK /F .
>>
>> I returned an hour later and was locked out of my system!!!
>>

>> The message said that I had either tried logging in or restarting too
>> many times and I needed to leave the machine on for two hours...then try
>> again.
>
> Part of MS "nanny-state OS" feature. Dump the MS Account login and use
> Local Account.
>

>> No, one minor Linux "feature" that I did not like is not a major
>> disturbance even though I think it's a silly "bug."
>
> IF only CorelDraw didn't abandon Linux support. Still waiting for
> Inkscape to implement a layer manager as good as CD and this system will
> be converted too.

The machine I'm testing Win11 on only has a Gen7 CPU but has everything
else.

I can run Win11 on it but it's not officially supported.

I am not going to get new H/W just so I can run Win11.

The ten year old+ machines I run Linux on runs it well. One is a quad
care 3ghz CPU with 16 gigs of RAM but Win11 won't run on it.

Re: Copy and Paste

<is1jfjFguqcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1360&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1360

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:10:26 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 00:10 UTC

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Just really don't understand the
> GNOME folks hatred of the Desktop concept which has such a long history
> in computing since the development in GUIs. Yes, feature creep can bloat
> a application but removing a core functionality....

Gnome; my least favorite DE, which puts me at odds w/ all of those
important distro/s for which it is the flagship; but in good company w/
Linux Mint, which doesn't favor Gnome or its Gnome Shell at all.

Besides several DEs I favor over Gnome, I also would rather use such as
a WM like OpenBox, even if I have to use some command line tools to make
up for minor inconveniences of such as timedatectl for adjusting the tz
and xkbset for sticky keys.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Copy and Paste

<sjs6lq$hnf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1361&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1361

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 08:49:46 -0500
 by: philo - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 13:49 UTC

On 10/4/21 7:10 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>   Just really don't understand the
>> GNOME folks hatred of the Desktop concept which has such a long history
>> in computing since the development in GUIs. Yes, feature creep can bloat
>> a application but removing a core functionality....
>
> Gnome; my least favorite DE, which puts me at odds w/ all of those
> important distro/s for which it is the flagship; but in good company w/
> Linux Mint, which doesn't favor Gnome or its Gnome Shell at all.
>
> Besides several DEs I favor over Gnome, I also would rather use such as
> a WM like OpenBox, even if I have to use some command line tools to make
> up for minor inconveniences of such as timedatectl for adjusting the tz
> and xkbset for sticky keys.

Well. at least it was fixable.

OT: With Win11, I need to get a 3rd party utility (Winero) to fix things

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: Copy and Paste