Newsgroups: comp.databases.theory
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 21:28:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [ [Relational] Database] Open Architecture Standard
From: derek.asirvadem@gmail.com (Derek Ignatius Asirvadem)
 by: Derek Ignatius Asirv - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 04:28 UTC

The following thread is relevant to this one.
__ https://groups.google.com/g/comp.databases.theory/c/LSoYp9wrv0M

Cheers
Derek

Inventory of the Ignorance Chasm

<16e517ff-82fc-427f-b71a-4f81ce89d424n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=136&group=comp.databases.theory#136

Newsgroups: comp.databases.theory
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 15:43:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Inventory of the Ignorance Chasm
From: derek.asirvadem@gmail.com (Derek Ignatius Asirvadem)
 by: Derek Ignatius Asirv - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 22:43 UTC

Nicola

It may be worth taking an *Inventory* of the chasm between the fictitious world that the academics who allege to serve this field have established in their collective mind, and the real world that has progressed since Dr E F Codd's /Relational Model/ in 1970. The high end of the industry gives a sharp contrast. Of course, nothing the marvellous academics have produced in their hundreds of papers can be, or have been used, by us (the low end and middle do love the ever-changing "truths', they are quite used to "refactoring" their filing systems, and to never-ending "inheritance" problems).

In this thread I attempted to assert the implementation of Relational databases that comply with the Open Architecture Standard that we have had since the Client/Server model was established in the 1980's (Britton-Lee proprietary in the 1970's; Sybase as non-proprietary and a model). Refer Transact-SQL and all the products that served it, until today. It has not progressed due to the [predictable] non-participation by academics.

In the *No CASCADE in Commercial SQL & Benchmark Considerations* thread, we somewhat ventilated just one subject: ACID Transactions, which is essential to any database system, not only one that complies with Open Architecture, or one that requires high concurrency (and there are degrees to it, as you saw). Otherwise "transactions" are naïve, unconscious, and uncontrolled creatures that are spread across the network. I commend you for your participation therein.

In the full context of an implementation of a Relational database then, as opposed to discussing fiction, when you are ready, you may be interested in the other subjects that the academics have steadfastly maintained their ignorance of, for FIFTY YEARS. In the implementation sense (ie. product availability) for forty years. Here is a picture I drew up many years ago, that names the other subjects:

____ https://www.softwaregems.com.au/Documents/Article/Database/Relational%20Model/Relational%20Landscape.pdf

Cheers
Derek