The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: Advising vs. insisting

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Why Is Linux So LARGEcandycane
+* Advising vs. insisting (Was: Why Is Linux So LARGE)Kenny McCormack
|+- Re: Advising vs. insisting (Was: Why Is Linux So LARGE)The Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: Advising vs. insisting (Was: Why Is Linux So LARGE)candycane
| `* Re: Advising vs. insisting (Was: Why Is Linux So LARGE)Carlos E. R.
|  `* Re: Advising vs. insistingJerry Peters
|   `- Re: Advising vs. insistingCarlos E. R.
`- Re: Why Is Linux So LARGERichard Kettlewell

1
Re: Why Is Linux So LARGE

<1873491786@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13492&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13492

From: candycane@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet (candycane)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Why Is Linux So LARGE
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 19:57:13 +1300
 by: candycane - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 06:57 UTC

RK> It has advisory file locking and plenty of things use that; it���s
RK> mandatory locking that it���s (now) missing.

What is the difference between advisary and mandatory?

---------------

.... "42? 7 and a half million years and all you can come up with is 42?!"
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

Advising vs. insisting (Was: Why Is Linux So LARGE)

<ucd8p2$2fr7$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13502&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13502

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Advising vs. insisting (Was: Why Is Linux So LARGE)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 16:20:50 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 16:20 UTC

In article <1873491786@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet>,
candycane <candycane@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet> wrote:
> RK> It has advisory file locking and plenty of things use that; its
> RK> mandatory locking that its (now) missing.
>
>What is the difference between advisary and mandatory?

What is the difference between somebody advising you to do something vs.
them insisting you do it?

--
Senator Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), who sits on the Judiciary Committee, said it was
"extremely inappropriate" for the president to nominate a Supreme Court justice on a

Re: Advising vs. insisting (Was: Why Is Linux So LARGE)

<ucd900$l8t2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13503&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13503

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Advising vs. insisting (Was: Why Is Linux So LARGE)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 17:24:32 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 16:24 UTC

On 26/08/2023 17:20, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> In article <1873491786@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet>,
> candycane <candycane@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet> wrote:
>> RK> It has advisory file locking and plenty of things use that; its
>> RK> mandatory locking that its (now) missing.
>>
>> What is the difference between advisary and mandatory?
>
> What is the difference between somebody advising you to do something vs.
> them insisting you do it?

Its the difference between a sign saying 'no entry' and a steel bollard
rising up out of the road and smashing your suspension...
--
“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.”

Herbert Spencer

Re: Why Is Linux So LARGE

<wwvwmxhvima.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13504&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13504

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 18:06:05 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 17:06 UTC

candycane@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet (candycane) writes:
>> It has advisory file locking and plenty of things use that; it’s
>> mandatory locking that it’s (now) missing.
>
> What is the difference between advisary and mandatory?

An advisory lock suspends a process (or returns an error) when it tries
to acquire a lock over a region of a file that already has an advisory
lock on it. IO operations aren’t affected.

A mandatory lock additionally suspends a process when it tries to
perform IO on a portion of a file which is locked by another process.

Both are (usually) divided into read locks (which allow many concurrent
readers, but no writers) and write locks (which are completely exclusive
to one process).

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Advising vs. insisting (Was: Why Is Linux So LARGE)

<709016515@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13505&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13505

From: candycane@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet (candycane)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 14:09:45 +1300
 by: candycane - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 01:09 UTC

KM> What is the difference between somebody advising you to do something vs.
KM> them insisting you do it?

Oh, so advisory is a recommendation and mandatory prevents file access lower
level?

Also, I'd say a simple solution would be to save the pid, and check if it's
still running. If it's not, give a warning to check data integrity and such,
but still let you acquire the lock.

-----------------------------------
user is generated from /dev/urandom

Re: Advising vs. insisting (Was: Why Is Linux So LARGE)

<klcb32Ffj29U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13554&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13554

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 16:21:53 -0400
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 20:21 UTC

On 2023-08-25 21:09, candycane wrote:
> KM> What is the difference between somebody advising you to do something vs.
> KM> them insisting you do it?
>
> Oh, so advisory is a recommendation and mandatory prevents file access lower
> level?

Yes.

> Also, I'd say a simple solution would be to save the pid, and check if it's
> still running. If it's not, give a warning to check data integrity and such,
> but still let you acquire the lock.

Yes, the kernel can keep tables of what process locked a file, and
supply hooks or tools to kill the process and the locks it had. Not
saying it does, I don't know.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Advising vs. insisting

<ud0622$hm0l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13573&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13573

From: jerry@example.invalid (Jerry Peters)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Advising vs. insisting
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 20:30:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jerry Peters - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 20:30 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-08-25 21:09, candycane wrote:
>> KM> What is the difference between somebody advising you to do something vs.
>> KM> them insisting you do it?
>>
>> Oh, so advisory is a recommendation and mandatory prevents file access lower
>> level?
>
> Yes.
>

>> Also, I'd say a simple solution would be to save the pid, and check if it's
>> still running. If it's not, give a warning to check data integrity and such,
>> but still let you acquire the lock.
>
> Yes, the kernel can keep tables of what process locked a file, and
> supply hooks or tools to kill the process and the locks it had. Not
> saying it does, I don't know.

I thought mandatory file locks were recently removed from the kernel.

Re: Advising vs. insisting

<klhkmcFbtt4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13574&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13574

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 16:36:28 -0400
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 20:36 UTC

On 2023-09-02 16:30, Jerry Peters wrote:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh, so advisory is a recommendation and mandatory prevents file access lower
>>> level?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

>>> Also, I'd say a simple solution would be to save the pid, and check if it's
>>> still running. If it's not, give a warning to check data integrity and such,
>>> but still let you acquire the lock.
>>
>> Yes, the kernel can keep tables of what process locked a file, and
>> supply hooks or tools to kill the process and the locks it had. Not
>> saying it does, I don't know.
>
> I thought mandatory file locks were recently removed from the kernel.

Oh, sorry, I was not referring to an specific OS.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.