If it has syntax, it isn't user friendly.

computers / microsoft.public.windowsxp.general / What's with the extra Partition on XP?

SubjectAuthor
* What's with the extra Partition on XP?Dan Campbell
`* Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?gfretwell
 `* Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?Dan Campbell
  `* Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?gfretwell
   `* Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?Dan Campbell
    `* Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?Paul
     `- Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?Dan Campbell

1
What's with the extra Partition on XP?

<09282dde-fc96-4d40-b30d-d02de792f610n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1331&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1331

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:36:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: What's with the extra Partition on XP?
From: dcwhatthe@gmail.com (Dan Campbell)
 by: Dan Campbell - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 19:36 UTC

Hi,

I just purchased an old handheld XP, a UMID mbook m1.

The hard disk, shown from Disk Management, is 16gb SSD.

The problem is that only part of that partition is used.

The XP partition is about 12gigs, FAT32.

But there's another partition, NTFS, which is about 3 gigs. I dont know if it's being used for anything, but it says 48% free.

The volume name on the NTFS partition is blank.

Should I try to repartition the unit, and take advantage of the extra space? Or is that extra partition being used for something important?

Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?

<jkdoogtt1q1m7rgooptefn4bj7606h5ool@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1332&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1332

From: gfretwell@aol.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 16:25:39 -0500
 by: gfretwell@aol.com - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:25 UTC

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:36:15 -0800 (PST), Dan Campbell
<dcwhatthe@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just purchased an old handheld XP, a UMID mbook m1.
>
>The hard disk, shown from Disk Management, is 16gb SSD.
>
>The problem is that only part of that partition is used.
>
>The XP partition is about 12gigs, FAT32.
>
>But there's another partition, NTFS, which is about 3 gigs. I dont know if it's being used for anything, but it says 48% free.
>
>The volume name on the NTFS partition is blank.
>
>Should I try to repartition the unit, and take advantage of the extra space? Or is that extra partition being used for something important?

I suppose the safe thing would be to image the whole drive (all
partitions) so you can get back if it door stops. Then use the
Windows tool to convert the XP partition to NFTS. Delete the other
partitions and either create a D drive or expand C: into the other
space. I really like the idea of keeping C: as small as I can, with
just the software on it, so the image is small, then use a D: for my
data that can simply be copied to back up and restore.

Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?

<5b1b6c43-6721-414c-b70a-97cf4c248960n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1333&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1333

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:39:20 -0800 (PST)
From: dcwhatthe@gmail.com (Dan Campbell)
 by: Dan Campbell - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:39 UTC

On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 4:25:33 PM UTC-5, gfre wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:36:15 -0800 (PST), Dan Campbell
> <DC wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I just purchased an old handheld XP, a UMID mbook m1.
> >
> >The hard disk, shown from Disk Management, is 16gb SSD.
> >
> >The problem is that only part of that partition is used.
> >
> >The XP partition is about 12gigs, FAT32.
> >
> >But there's another partition, NTFS, which is about 3 gigs. I dont know if it's being used for anything, but it says 48% free.
> >
> >The volume name on the NTFS partition is blank.
> >
> >Should I try to repartition the unit, and take advantage of the extra space? Or is that extra partition being used for something important?
> I suppose the safe thing would be to image the whole drive (all
> partitions) so you can get back if it door stops. Then use the
> Windows tool to convert the XP partition to NFTS. Delete the other
> partitions and either create a D drive or expand C: into the other
> space. I really like the idea of keeping C: as small as I can, with
> just the software on it, so the image is small, then use a D: for my
> data that can simply be copied to back up and restore.

Thanks greftwell,

Does the XP management tool allow us to convert and resize SSD partitions?

What should I use to image it? I have the EaseUS suite, but am not sure if it will boot up with the tiny memory on that XP.

Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?

<7tfoogdn0jge0l9d2muld15a4tf4t6hm65@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1334&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1334

From: gfretwell@aol.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 16:59:08 -0500
 by: gfretwell@aol.com - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:59 UTC

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:39:20 -0800 (PST), Dan Campbell
<dcwhatthe@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 4:25:33 PM UTC-5, gfre wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:36:15 -0800 (PST), Dan Campbell
>> <DC wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I just purchased an old handheld XP, a UMID mbook m1.
>> >
>> >The hard disk, shown from Disk Management, is 16gb SSD.
>> >
>> >The problem is that only part of that partition is used.
>> >
>> >The XP partition is about 12gigs, FAT32.
>> >
>> >But there's another partition, NTFS, which is about 3 gigs. I dont know if it's being used for anything, but it says 48% free.
>> >
>> >The volume name on the NTFS partition is blank.
>> >
>> >Should I try to repartition the unit, and take advantage of the extra space? Or is that extra partition being used for something important?
>> I suppose the safe thing would be to image the whole drive (all
>> partitions) so you can get back if it door stops. Then use the
>> Windows tool to convert the XP partition to NFTS. Delete the other
>> partitions and either create a D drive or expand C: into the other
>> space. I really like the idea of keeping C: as small as I can, with
>> just the software on it, so the image is small, then use a D: for my
>> data that can simply be copied to back up and restore.
>
>Thanks greftwell,
>
>Does the XP management tool allow us to convert and resize SSD partitions?
>
>What should I use to image it? I have the EaseUS suite, but am not sure if it will boot up with the tiny memory on that XP.

I use Acronis (paid version) but there is a free Disk Manager from
Maxtor floating around. I can post the ISO if you can't find it., All
it requires is that it sees a Maxtor or Seagate drive somewhere on the
system, even if you are not using it. I usually had an old one in a
USB case I can plug in, before I bought Acronis.
I doubt the OS even knows that is an SSD. Mine gets handled like a
regular drive.

Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?

<fcd6a00a-9b3b-4b2d-ada4-013212bdaacan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1335&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1335

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 14:23:36 -0800 (PST)
From: dcwhatthe@gmail.com (Dan Campbell)
 by: Dan Campbell - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 22:23 UTC

On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 4:58:51 PM UTC-5, gfre wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:39:20 -0800 (PST), Dan Campbell
> <dcwh> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 4:25:33 PM UTC-5, gfre wrote:

> >> I suppose the safe thing would be to image the whole drive (all
> >> partitions) so you can get back if it door stops. Then use the
> >> Windows tool to convert the XP partition to NFTS. Delete the other
> >> partitions and either create a D drive or expand C: into the other
> >> space. I really like the idea of keeping C: as small as I can, with
> >> just the software on it, so the image is small, then use a D: for my
> >> data that can simply be copied to back up and restore.
> >
> >Thanks greftwell,
> >
> >Does the XP management tool allow us to convert and resize SSD partitions?
> >
> >What should I use to image it? I have the EaseUS suite, but am not sure if it will boot up with the tiny memory on that XP.
> I use Acronis (paid version) but there is a free Disk Manager from
> Maxtor floating around. I can post the ISO if you can't find it., All
> it requires is that it sees a Maxtor or Seagate drive somewhere on the
> system, even if you are not using it. I usually had an old one in a
> USB case I can plug in, before I bought Acronis.
> I doubt the OS even knows that is an SSD. Mine gets handled like a
> regular drive.

Sounds good. I used Acronis for more than a decade, but it got too bloated and complicated, so I started using EaseUS as of last year. I might still have some old Acronis copies from years ago, that I used on XP.

I left a message for EaseUS, to see if it's possible to do this in 512 mb of memory. I'll check out Maxtor, if needed.

Thanks and regards,

Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?

<smhkj2$m5f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1336&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1336

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 18:28:17 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:28 UTC

On 11/10/2021 5:23 PM, Dan Campbell wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 4:58:51 PM UTC-5, gfre wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:39:20 -0800 (PST), Dan Campbell
>> <dcwh> wrote:

That's your Recovery Partition.

Don't zorch that!

https://www.umpcportal.com/2009/04/umid-mbook-m1-full-review/

The SSD is likely a soldered-down eMMC chip. Rather than being
a removable storage device. The unit has a microSD slot, but apparently
the reviewer did not like the design of that bit of it, claiming
the microSD thing might snap off.

Paul

Re: What's with the extra Partition on XP?

<cee76f7d-6859-4e84-a2ab-6f2c9964ded6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1337&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#1337

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 15:45:01 -0800 (PST)
From: dcwhatthe@gmail.com (Dan Campbell)
 by: Dan Campbell - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:45 UTC

On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 6:28:39 PM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
> On 11/10/2021 5:23 PM, Dan Campbell wrote:
> > On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 4:58:51 PM UTC-5, gfre wrote:

> That's your Recovery Partition.
>
> Don't zorch that!
>
> https://www.umpcportal.com/2009/04/umid-mbook-m1-full-review/
>
> The SSD is likely a soldered-down eMMC chip. Rather than being
> a removable storage device. The unit has a microSD slot, but apparently
> the reviewer did not like the design of that bit of it, claiming
> the microSD thing might snap off.
>
> Paul

Ok, thanks Paul. I saw that page, before buying the unit. In spite of the only 8 usable gig, I really like this little device.

Might as well make use of the microsd.

computers / microsoft.public.windowsxp.general / What's with the extra Partition on XP?