From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Some amd 7950x 3d processors have blown up !...
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 00:25:17 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 04:25 UTC

On 4/23/2023 8:19 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Check reddit !
>
> Any thoughts on this ?
>
> CU for now...
>
> Remaining components for my new build will arrive in 7 days, like the spaceship from Aliens ! =D
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck =D

Now you know "the dangers of buying stuff".

One person was blaming Asus and maybe some BIOS setting
which caused a certain (on-board) supply voltage to be too high, or
for some "difference in voltage" to be too high.

You can see in the tool picture here, there are voltages
other than VCore on the Ryzen. If you had a pinout for
the Ryzen chip, you could figure out what voltage rail
was involved. It's the AM5 socket.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/ryzen-7950x3d-7900x3d-7800x3d.18963722/page-264

You will need to check the "CPU compatibility table" for
your motherboard, and see if a specific version of BIOS is
needed to get the motherboard to even start.

On my Zen3 build (AM4) over a year ago, the board did not
start at first. I had to make up a BIOS flash file on a USB stick,
connect to the marked USB port on the I/O plate, and push a button
to cause the BIOS flasher to install a new BIOS. It took
me *all evening*, to get the stupid thing to work, and
"eat" the file. A single LED on the board, a red LED,
started to flash after a couple seconds. Once the new BIOS
file was installed, the board came up.

A BIOS file which is "fixed" for a problem like that,
may be available already for you to use.

Will the companies admit what they did wrong ?

Who knows.

But the burn mark, the matrix pin numbers, tell
you what rail is burning.

*******

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/ryzen-7950x3d-7900x3d-7800x3d.18963722/page-262

"I have updated the bios to 1409 and it's funny ASUS have wiped all previous bios
versions from the website. Maybe coincidence, or maybe not?"