Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Subject: Release Channels info ?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 17:22:21 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 23:22 UTC

From searching, I've learned there are several channels to get
seamonkey updates, as follows, but this web page was 12 years
old, and I don't know what all these channels are, except by
wildly guessing from their names:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2280605

Channels listed are/(were), and my wild ass guesses :
--------------------------

* nightly channel:
The very latest stuff being working on and tested; possibly
risky, but may be the best thing ever?

*beta channel:
Same as release channel, but with some newer changes, likely to
be in the next release, if it works out well.

*esr channel:
Extended Service Release? A really old, but stable version,
still maintained to update extremely important changes,
especially security holes.

*release channel:
Regular currently released version I've been using.

*aurora channel:
Some guy working in northern Alaska while smoking weed,
dropping acid, and watching the night sky? Only God knows?

I'm on release channel, and I've got a foggy notion of what
beta, esr, and nightly might be, but what the hell is "aurora"?

I couldn't find ANY descriptions of these channels. I only
found how to change the channel, and that info was over 10
years old, so it may be wrong now. :)

Re: Release Channels info ?

<gGqdncNSjqoFcvz4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1327&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1327

Subject: Re: Release Channels info ?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:58:53 +0000
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:58 UTC

On 24/11/2023 23:22, Hank Rogers wrote:
> From searching, I've learned there are several channels to get
> seamonkey updates, as follows, but this web page was 12 years old, and I
> don't know what all these channels are, except by wildly guessing from
> their names:
>
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2280605

That was then and this is now. However, the situation is somewhat
similar: there's release and beta from the SM site and nightly/test
builds as provided by WG9s -- see the project site
<https://www.seamonkey-project.org/>.

Aurora was an alpha channel, mostly remembered as the source of
successively dumbed-down Firefox UIs. It became irrelevant when the
release policy was changed so that ESR meant Release, Release meant
Beta, etc, in order to keep the release version number incrementing in
line with other browser projects. As SM devs are sane, there's no need
for an ESR channel here.

/df

--
London