From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: IPv6 privacy extensions on Windows 7
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 03:06:37 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Fri, 14 May 2021 02:06 UTC

Does anybody know how the IPv6 privacy extensions work or rather don't
work in Windows 7.

I read in several places on the web that all I have to do to "unbreak"
Microsoft's implementation of IPv6 privacy extensions is these two commands:

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=active

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
store=persistent

but that doesn't fix it for me.

I can see new "temporary" IPv6 addresses being assigned to by network
port but stupid brain dead Windows 7 never ever uses them!

Maybe it's waiting until all connections using the other "old" temporary
address(es) are closed? But if so that's stupidly wrong.

Am I really the only person who has noticed?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: IPv6 privacy extensions on Windows 7

<T6udnQePq7ZNJj_9nZ2dnUU7-T-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1309&group=alt.windows7.general#1309

Subject: Re: IPv6 privacy extensions on Windows 7
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: bbbl67@spammenot.yahoo.com (Yousuf Khan)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:54:07 -0400
 by: Yousuf Khan - Mon, 17 May 2021 18:54 UTC

On 5/13/2021 10:06 PM, Brian Gregory wrote:
> Does anybody know how the IPv6 privacy extensions work or rather don't
> work in Windows 7.
>
> I read in several places on the web that all I have to do to "unbreak"
> Microsoft's implementation of IPv6 privacy extensions is these two
> commands:
>
> netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=active
>
> netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
> store=persistent
>
> but that doesn't fix it for me.
>
> I can see new "temporary" IPv6 addresses being assigned to by network
> port but stupid brain dead Windows 7 never ever uses them!
>
> Maybe it's waiting until all connections using the other "old" temporary
> address(es) are closed? But if so that's stupidly wrong.
>
> Am I really the only person who has noticed?

I think most people will tell you to simply upgrade to Windows 10 at
this point. What are you doing worrying about Windows 7's broken IPv6
implementation, when it's never going to get fixed?

Yousuf Khan

Re: IPv6 privacy extensions on Windows 7

<igfu29Fjc39U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1310&group=alt.windows7.general#1310

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 20:21:45 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Mon, 17 May 2021 19:21 UTC

On 17/05/2021 19:54, Yousuf Khan wrote:
> On 5/13/2021 10:06 PM, Brian Gregory wrote:
>> Does anybody know how the IPv6 privacy extensions work or rather don't
>> work in Windows 7.
>>
>> I read in several places on the web that all I have to do to "unbreak"
>> Microsoft's implementation of IPv6 privacy extensions is these two
>> commands:
>>
>> netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
>> store=active
>>
>> netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
>> store=persistent
>>
>> but that doesn't fix it for me.
>>
>> I can see new "temporary" IPv6 addresses being assigned to by network
>> port but stupid brain dead Windows 7 never ever uses them!
>>
>> Maybe it's waiting until all connections using the other "old"
>> temporary address(es) are closed? But if so that's stupidly wrong.
>>
>> Am I really the only person who has noticed?
>
> I think most people will tell you to simply upgrade to Windows 10 at
> this point. What are you doing worrying about Windows 7's broken IPv6
> implementation, when it's never going to get fixed?
>
>     Yousuf Khan

Is Windows 10 any better in this respect?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: IPv6 privacy extensions on Windows 7

<s7ugdh$smk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1311&group=alt.windows7.general#1311

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 15:33:05 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 17 May 2021 19:33 UTC

Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 17/05/2021 19:54, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> On 5/13/2021 10:06 PM, Brian Gregory wrote:
>>> Does anybody know how the IPv6 privacy extensions work or rather
>>> don't work in Windows 7.
>>>
>>> I read in several places on the web that all I have to do to
>>> "unbreak" Microsoft's implementation of IPv6 privacy extensions is
>>> these two commands:
>>>
>>> netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
>>> store=active
>>>
>>> netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
>>> store=persistent
>>>
>>> but that doesn't fix it for me.
>>>
>>> I can see new "temporary" IPv6 addresses being assigned to by network
>>> port but stupid brain dead Windows 7 never ever uses them!
>>>
>>> Maybe it's waiting until all connections using the other "old"
>>> temporary address(es) are closed? But if so that's stupidly wrong.
>>>
>>> Am I really the only person who has noticed?
>>
>> I think most people will tell you to simply upgrade to Windows 10 at
>> this point. What are you doing worrying about Windows 7's broken IPv6
>> implementation, when it's never going to get fixed?
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> Is Windows 10 any better in this respect?

There's another command in this article.

https://support.binarylane.com.au/support/solutions/articles/1000100517-disable-ipv6-privacy-extension-in-windows

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=active
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=persistent

netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled store=active
netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled store=persistent

Paul

Re: IPv6 privacy extensions on Windows 7

<iggggdFmlt7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1312&group=alt.windows7.general#1312

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 01:36:29 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Tue, 18 May 2021 00:36 UTC

On 17/05/2021 20:33, Paul wrote:
> Brian Gregory wrote:

>>> I think most people will tell you to simply upgrade to Windows 10 at
>>> this point. What are you doing worrying about Windows 7's broken IPv6
>>> implementation, when it's never going to get fixed?
>>>
>>>      Yousuf Khan
>>
>> Is Windows 10 any better in this respect?
>>

> There's another command in this article.
>
> https://support.binarylane.com.au/support/solutions/articles/1000100517-disable-ipv6-privacy-extension-in-windows
>

>    netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
> store=active
>    netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
> store=persistent
>
>    netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled store=active
>    netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled store=persistent
>
>   Paul

I'm not trying the disable privacy extensions. I'd just rather like them
to work properly, rather than just sort of pretending to work properly
with no effect (generating a new address but then never using it).

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: IPv6 privacy extensions on Windows 7

<igi12mF1405U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1320&group=alt.windows7.general#1320

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 15:25:26 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Tue, 18 May 2021 14:25 UTC

On 18/05/2021 01:36, Brian Gregory wrote:
> I'm not trying the disable privacy extensions. I'd just rather like them
> to work properly, rather than just sort of pretending to work properly
> with no effect (generating a new address but then never using it).

There are articles on the web that seem to indicate that Windows 10 is
the same or maybe even worse in this respect :(

--
Brian Gregory (in England).