From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Skybuck's Super PC for 2023 Draft 7, (Sneak peak ! ;) =D)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 18:07:31 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 22:07 UTC

On 4/17/2023 2:32 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> I add the m2_slot 4 in this sneak peak, so all this time it had 3 strips... so I think I know what I was doing hehe... or maybe 4 m2 slots would get a bit toasty... hmmm...
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

For a boot drive, it does not need to be fancy for the first day.

The Samsung 980 and 990 NVMe, need a firmware flash before using them,
for at least the 2TB ones. Just about any brand which runs at the
speed of the slot you're using, is good enough for now. I have
lots of 256GB and 512GB boot drives here, so a drive to get the
build off the ground (do some testing), isn't going to be that
expensive. At the current time, there is a glut of NAND flash --
the price of the drives, don't let them make you pay too much
for them. Mine was under $100 CDN and it's probably less now.

https://i.postimg.cc/3JL3Bhnp/a-boot-drive.gif

Since it's a nuisance to install and take out, it mostly
stays out of the PC.

*******

On the chipsets, the expensive stuff (which may run hot),
can use one or two Southbridge chips. This is 670. I read
somewhere that Asmedia was making these things. By putting
PCI Express on both sides of the chip, it allows the chips
to be cascaded, and it also allowed the lanes on the right,
to be used for some other purpose.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/amd_am5_chipsets-1-2.png

I don't know how the 650 works in this regard. I don't
think there is actual cascading going on, but the lanes
on the right of it may still be used. One benefit of the
cheaper chipsets (like on mine), is there's no fan cooler
mounted on top.

https://www.servethehome.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/AMD-B650E-and-B650-Chipsets.jpg

*******

Your Wifi is MediaTek, or at least, it could be. The module
is a bit weird in terms of mounting method. The only reason
for mentioning this, is it's not Realtek :-) (worries about drivers).
The RealTek Bluetooth driver isn't exactly special. The module
hides under the metalwork near the backplate.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-b650e-steel-legend-wifi/images/wifi.jpg

Paul

Re: Skybuck's Super PC for 2023 Draft 7, (Sneak peak ! ;) =D)

<u1kp6i$3811v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1317&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1317

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 20:45:06 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 00:45 UTC

On 4/17/2023 6:52 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> [...]
>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/3JL3Bhnp/a-boot-drive.gif
>
> Yes I have seen this stick... I considered purchasing it, but the firmware issue + "low capacity" killed it for me ! ;)
>
> It's nice and cheap though, could be interesting for an experimental drive...
>
>> Since it's a nuisance to install and take out, it mostly
>> stays out of the PC.
>
> I see, you have a valid point there, better stay out of the PC completely.
>
> There are external SSD drives those could be interesting.
>
> Any idea if those external SSD drives come with a USB 3.1 Gen 2x2 cable ?! Guess if not I may have to order one, well my budget is blown/maxed out so for now I won't purchase anything extra unless absolutely needed ! ;) =D
>
> So this will be a thing for the future, I am not even sure if I will buy an external SSD for quite some time, this toshiba laptop would be way too slow to benefit from it, well if I do have to transfer something then at least my new PC can load/read it faster... hmmm
>
> Maybe by the time I want an external drive again, there might be something completely new, maybe USB 4 or USB 5 requiring a special pci express card ! ;)
>
>> On the chipsets, the expensive stuff (which may run hot),
>> can use one or two Southbridge chips. This is 670. I read
>> somewhere that Asmedia was making these things. By putting
>> PCI Express on both sides of the chip, it allows the chips
>> to be cascaded, and it also allowed the lanes on the right,
>> to be used for some other purpose.
>>
>> https://www.digitalcitizen.life/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/amd_am5_chipsets-1-2.png
>>
>> I don't know how the 650 works in this regard. I don't
>> think there is actual cascading going on, but the lanes
>> on the right of it may still be used. One benefit of the
>> cheaper chipsets (like on mine), is there's no fan cooler
>> mounted on top.
>>
>> https://www.servethehome.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/AMD-B650E-and-B650-Chipsets.jpg
>
> Hmm so you have an AM5 B board too ?
>
>> Your Wifi is MediaTek, or at least, it could be. The module
>> is a bit weird in terms of mounting method. The only reason
>> for mentioning this, is it's not Realtek :-) (worries about drivers).
>> The RealTek Bluetooth driver isn't exactly special. The module
>> hides under the metalwork near the backplate.
>>
>> https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-b650e-steel-legend-wifi/images/wifi.jpg
>
> I don't intend to use it, it just came with the board ! ;)
>
> But it's a nice feature if my internet provider goes down, has troubles or bans me lol, or I need to move the computer because of war or there is a cyberwar and ISP goes down, maybe my PC can then pick up a "wifi signal" as a last resort ! LOL and then me be back online communicating ! LOL.
>
> But I will try and disable this chip, I do not want to be radiated ! ;)

The USB stick is "install media".

The boot drive is a C: which is big enough for an OS (35GB will do if
you turn off hibernation capability - you can set your pagefile.sys to
1GB as well since your RAM is so generous).

Media for storing your application data, would be the D: DATA drive.
It could be a partition next to C: and share the boot drive.

Or, it could be on a separate drive or NVMe, so it can be moved
to another machine.

You don't have to buy a honking big DATA drive today. You can
think about it a bit, after the rest of your build is finished.

Do not think about it too long, as the price dip in NAND
will not last more than about three months or so. As we approach
the school year, the prices by then will be back to normal.
Samsung for example, seeks to reduce NAND production, and since
wafer production takes 12 weeks, it takes 12 weeks for the
quantity coming out of the pipe, to be adjusted. As the inventory
dries up, on NAND chips, the price will climb a little bit.

8TB drives are currently all QLC, and I would not buy one.
4TB drives might be safe, or at least as safe as TLC is safe.
TLC drives use a pseudo-SLC cache, and when the cache is
filled on writes, the drive slows down for additional write
operations.

In this diagram, a high speed external drive, slows down after
the pseudo-SLC cache is full, completely spoiling the experience
(purple colored trace).

https://images.anandtech.com/reviews/das/2021-/pssd/Kingston-XS2000-1TB/PCON.png

( https://www.anandtech.com/show/17052/kingston-xs2000-portable-ssds-review-usb-32-gen-2x2-goes-mainstream/3 )

Click here to read the complete article