Real programs don't eat cache.

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?

SubjectAuthor
* Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?Richmond
+* Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?Dirk Fieldhouse
|`- Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?Richmond
+* Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?Yuchan Seo
|`- Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?Richmond
`* Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?Mike Easter
 `* Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?Richmond
  `- Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?Mike Easter

1
Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?

<837cmlifii.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1279&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1279

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 20:07:17 +0000
 by: Richmond - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 20:07 UTC

Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/run-linux-on-chromebook

Re: Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?

<k9GcnVQkTNB5Ys74nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1283&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1283

Subject: Re: Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 23:16:51 +0000
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 23:16 UTC

On 13/11/2023 20:07, Richmond wrote:
> Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?
>
> https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/run-linux-on-chromebook

MX-Linux 23 with SM 2.53.17.1, or even Firefox for a small number of
tabs/windows, runs fine on HP Stream 11, which is a WindowsBook from
2014 rather than a ChromeBook, but otherwise a similar sort of thing:
Celeron N2840 (2 core), 2GB, 32GB flash storage.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?

<83cywbryux.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1284&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1284

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:21:26 +0000
 by: Richmond - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:21 UTC

Dirk Fieldhouse <surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com>
writes:

> On 13/11/2023 20:07, Richmond wrote:
>> Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?
>>
>> https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/run-linux-on-chromebook
>>

> MX-Linux 23 with SM 2.53.17.1, or even Firefox for a small number of
> tabs/windows, runs fine on HP Stream 11, which is a WindowsBook from
> 2014 rather than a ChromeBook, but otherwise a similar sort of thing:
> Celeron N2840 (2 core), 2GB, 32GB flash storage.
>
> /df

I've not heard of a WindowsBook, but what I was wondering is whether the
linux subsystem on ChromeOS, which was called Crostini but maybe isn't
anymore, would allow me to run Seamonkey. I don't currently have a
Chromebook but they are temptingly cheap. But obviously I couldn't
manage without Seamonkey. :)

I think it works using chroot to create a virtual linux environment.

Re: Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?

<uj4mkl$26rtc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1288&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1288

From: hexagonwin@disroot.org (Yuchan Seo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 18:16:02 +0900
 by: Yuchan Seo - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 09:16 UTC

Richmond wrote:
> Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?
>
> https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/run-linux-on-chromebook

I know that the linux container on ChromeOS works reasonably well for
command line utilities, but I'm not sure about graphical applications
like SeaMonkey..

I did hear that Chromebooks use a forked coreboot as their bootloader.
So they can actually be made to run on upstream coreboot and run an
actual linux distribution instead, maybe you can look into that?

btw, I use a few cheap Chromebooks at work and their trackpad and
keyboard are very bad, you should definitely be aware of that before
purchasing.

Re: Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?

<838r6wtzt8.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1299&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1299

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:54:43 +0000
 by: Richmond - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:54 UTC

Yuchan Seo <hexagonwin@disroot.org> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>> Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?
>>
>> https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/run-linux-on-chromebook
>>

> I know that the linux container on ChromeOS works reasonably well for
> command line utilities, but I'm not sure about graphical applications
> like SeaMonkey..
>
> I did hear that Chromebooks use a forked coreboot as their bootloader.
> So they can actually be made to run on upstream coreboot and run an
> actual linux distribution instead, maybe you can look into that?
>
> btw, I use a few cheap Chromebooks at work and their trackpad and
> keyboard are very bad, you should definitely be aware of that before
> purchasing.

Thanks. I had a look at some chromebooks and found the small screens put
me off. Also having a search button where capslock should be! But I may
revisit the idea. I am currently using a 17 year old laptop but it has a
17" 1900x1200 display which is luxury these days.

Re: Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?

<krqii2Fi98sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1308&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1308

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 17:32:49 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 01:32 UTC

Richmond wrote:
> Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?

Not I, but I've read about it.

There are a lot of different chromebooks; so there's more than one way
to linux it.

Mine is a Lenovo 100S. I would do it w/ Gallium.
https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility

--
Mike Easter

Re: Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?

<83msvb9ms3.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1309&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1309

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 14:08:44 +0000
 by: Richmond - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 14:08 UTC

Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>> Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?
>
> Not I, but I've read about it.
>
> There are a lot of different chromebooks; so there's more than one way to
> linux it.
>
> Mine is a Lenovo 100S. I would do it w/ Gallium.
> https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility
>> Bay Trail models are well-supported. See Support/BayTrail.

That's interesting, I had not heard of Gallium. As it is based on Ubuntu lite
then I suppose that there is a good chance Ubuntu lite or debian will
run on there too.

However I see this:

"IMPORTANT: Development on GalliumOS has been discontinued, and for most
users, GalliumOS is not the best option for running Linux due to lack of
hardware support or a kernel that's out of date and lacking important
security fixes.
"

https://wiki.galliumos.org/Welcome_to_the_GalliumOS_Wiki

Re: Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?

<krs89aFjp5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1310&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1310

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 08:49:45 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 16:49 UTC

Richmond wrote:
> Mike Easter writes:
>> Richmond wrote:
>>> Has anyone run seamonkey on a chromebook?
>>
>> Not I, but I've read about it.
>>
>> There are a lot of different chromebooks; so there's more than one way to
>> linux it.
>>
>> Mine is a Lenovo 100S. I would do it w/ Gallium.
>> https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility
>>> Bay Trail models are well-supported. See Support/BayTrail.
>
> That's interesting, I had not heard of Gallium. As it is based on Ubuntu lite
> then I suppose that there is a good chance Ubuntu lite or debian will
> run on there too.
>
> However I see this:
>
> "IMPORTANT: Development on GalliumOS has been discontinued, and for most
> users, GalliumOS is not the best option for running Linux due to lack of
> hardware support or a kernel that's out of date and lacking important
> security fixes.
> "
>
> https://wiki.galliumos.org/Welcome_to_the_GalliumOS_Wiki

My chromebook is very old. And weak.

If yours is a newer model, you may have very different options.

Here's a mrchromebook page for hardware
https://mrchromebox.tech/#devices

My chromebook is of the EOL category, so that site doesn't rec dual
boot, but 'UEFI Full ROM firmware' which the site provides. His site
also informs me about the write-protect on my device being a screw.

https://wiki.mrchromebox.tech/Firmware_Write_Protect

--
Mike Easter