From: cvjazz@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Subject: Re: Getting Back Again With KevNav
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 23:52:26 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 23:52 UTC

In article <ap.e048a159b1.a701a0a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk>,
Kevin Wells <kev@kevsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello

> My UK route finder application for RISC OS called KevNav has received
> it's first update.

> They are a few spelling errors corrected, the from and to route with the
> time it should take plus the distance has been copied from the window
> title bar to the last item on the route as a few people did not realise
> it was on the title bar. The time on the directions has hours, mins and
> secs instead of just the numbers. e.g 4 hours 34 mins and 11 secs
> instead of 04:34:11 for more clarity and a return button which gives a
> return route, so you can get a route back to where you started from.

> It can be downloaded from:

> <http://kevsoft.co.uk/#KevNav>

Another great application from kevsoft. Many thanks Kevin. Another thing
I won't need Windows for.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Getting Back Again With KevNav

<59b2e6329fchrisjohnson@spamcop.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1291&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1291

From: chrisjohnson@spamcop.net (News)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 12:40:00 +0000 (GMT)
 by: News - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 12:40 UTC

In article <59b19840b0cvjazz@waitrose.com>,
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> In article <ap.e048a159b1.a701a0a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk>,
> Kevin Wells <kev@kevsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hello

> > My UK route finder application for RISC OS called KevNav has
> > received it's first update.

> > They are a few spelling errors corrected, the from and to route
> > with the time it should take plus the distance has been copied
> > from the window title bar to the last item on the route as a few
> > people did not realise it was on the title bar. The time on the
> > directions has hours, mins and secs instead of just the numbers.
> > e.g 4 hours 34 mins and 11 secs instead of 04:34:11 for more
> > clarity and a return button which gives a return route, so you
> > can get a route back to where you started from.

> > It can be downloaded from:

> > <http://kevsoft.co.uk/#KevNav>

> Another great application from kevsoft. Many thanks Kevin. Another
> thing I won't need Windows for.

Have had a play with this, and the front end is fine as such.
However, I am not impressed by some of the routes being returned for
journeys I am familiar with. It seems to work on 'as the crow flies'
routes and sometimes appears to take you down a labyrinth of tertiary
roads (not even B class) that I wouldn't dream of using, to save a
few miles instead of staying on A class roads.

Is there any choice in the API of specifying e.g. shortest, or
fastest, or perhaps no motorway? I have some recollection of a route
finder on another OS that gave a range of choices when asking for a
route.

This is not to criticise you, Kev, in any way. Your various apps are
very useful.

--
Chris Johnson

Re: Getting Back Again With KevNav

<d8cd06b359.Kevin@Kevsoft>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1292&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1292

From: kev@kevsoft.co.uk (Kevin Wells)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 18:36:09 GMT
 by: Kevin Wells - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 18:36 UTC

In message <59b2e6329fchrisjohnson@spamcop.net>
News <chrisjohnson@spamcop.net> wrote:

>In article <59b19840b0cvjazz@waitrose.com>,
> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
>> In article <ap.e048a159b1.a701a0a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk>,
>> Kevin Wells <kev@kevsoft.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Hello
>
>> > My UK route finder application for RISC OS called KevNav has
>> > received it's first update.
>
>> > They are a few spelling errors corrected, the from and to route
>> > with the time it should take plus the distance has been copied
>> > from the window title bar to the last item on the route as a few
>> > people did not realise it was on the title bar. The time on the
>> > directions has hours, mins and secs instead of just the numbers.
>> > e.g 4 hours 34 mins and 11 secs instead of 04:34:11 for more
>> > clarity and a return button which gives a return route, so you
>> > can get a route back to where you started from.
>
>> > It can be downloaded from:
>
>> > <http://kevsoft.co.uk/#KevNav>
>
>> Another great application from kevsoft. Many thanks Kevin. Another
>> thing I won't need Windows for.
>
>Have had a play with this, and the front end is fine as such.
>However, I am not impressed by some of the routes being returned for
>journeys I am familiar with. It seems to work on 'as the crow flies'
>routes and sometimes appears to take you down a labyrinth of tertiary
>roads (not even B class) that I wouldn't dream of using, to save a
>few miles instead of staying on A class roads.
>
>Is there any choice in the API of specifying e.g. shortest, or
>fastest, or perhaps no motorway? I have some recollection of a route
>finder on another OS that gave a range of choices when asking for a
>route.

Unfortunatly the API does not have a choice of routes, if they do have
one in future I will look into implementing it. Also if any one does
know about an API which does I will also look into it.

--
Kev Wells
http://kevsoft.co.uk/ https://ko-fi.com/kevsoft

Re: Getting Back Again With KevNav

<758f4ab359.Bernard@iMX6.bapfish.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1293&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1293

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
From: bernard@nospam.bapfish.org.uk (Bernard)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 06:56:13 GMT
 by: Bernard - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 06:56 UTC

In message <d8cd06b359.Kevin@Kevsoft>
Kevin Wells <kev@kevsoft.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <59b2e6329fchrisjohnson@spamcop.net>
> News <chrisjohnson@spamcop.net> wrote:

>>In article <59b19840b0cvjazz@waitrose.com>,
>> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

>>> Another great application from kevsoft. Many thanks Kevin. Another
>>> thing I won't need Windows for.
>>
>>Have had a play with this, and the front end is fine as such.
>>However, I am not impressed by some of the routes being returned for
>>journeys I am familiar with. It seems to work on 'as the crow flies'
>>routes and sometimes appears to take you down a labyrinth of tertiary
>>roads (not even B class) that I wouldn't dream of using, to save a
>>few miles instead of staying on A class roads.
>>
>>Is there any choice in the API of specifying e.g. shortest, or
>>fastest, or perhaps no motorway? I have some recollection of a route
>>finder on another OS that gave a range of choices when asking for a
>>route.

> Unfortunatly the API does not have a choice of routes, if they do have
> one in future I will look into implementing it. Also if any one does
> know about an API which does I will also look into it.
>>
>>This is not to criticise you, Kev, in any way. Your various apps are
>>very useful.

For me it has suggested a route taking me 2 miles out of my way, just to
go by an A class road, which also includes a bottle neck. I normally
travel this route using a B class road to save time and mileage. My car's
built-in satnav also suggests this same wonky route.

Bernard
--
Contact Me - www.bapfish.org.uk/contact/
Web - www.bapfish.org.uk/