From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: VICE destroys own config file since Debian 12
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 00:09:52 -0400
sha1:tCO84cNjeYmlYsCx5bq8PBVOBBU=
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 04:09 UTC

I already posted in the CBM emulator group to no avail. May be few people
running VICE on Linux, so no one had this problem.

VICE worked well until Debian 11. When I started it the first time after
the release-upgrade to Debian 12 I received a warning with the
configuration file format. And that just saving the configuration would
get rid of that message. So I did.

What happened is that VICE deleted an essential line (KernalName=...)
from its own config file (vicerc) which makes it impossible to run.

After adding the line manually VICE works again. Saving the
configuration from within the emulator again results into deleting this
line.

If anyone here has VICE on Debian 12 and wants to try, please backup the
vicerc before doing so.
--
Andreas