The world is coming to an end--save your buffers!

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

SubjectAuthor
* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itWally J
+* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itAdam H. Kerman
|`* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itAdam H. Kerman
| `* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itWally J
|  +- Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itcandycanearter07
|  `* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itVanguardLH
|   `* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itcandycanearter07
|    `- Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itVanguardLH
+* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itVanguardLH
|`* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itWally J
| `* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itVanguardLH
|  `* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itcandycanearter07
|   `* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itVanguardLH
|    `- Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itcandycanearter07
+- Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itNobody
`* Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itEli the Bearded
 +- Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itcandycanearter07
 `- Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about itAdam H. Kerman

1
Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ugl24n$3as3p$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1287&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1287

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 00:21:43 -0400
 by: Wally J - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 04:21 UTC

When they first added the close tab option, many years ago, as I recall,
you just closed all but the one you were on. Then they added all this
garbage about those to the left and to the right which is just too much gui
for something so simple as closing all other tabs.

Is there a way to get firefox to just close all tabs but the current tab
without having to have a perhaps meaningful but generally worthless
discussion with the firefox gui every time you want to close tabs?

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ugl2qa$2obfp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1288&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1288

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 04:33:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 04:33 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>When they first added the close tab option, many years ago, as I recall,
>you just closed all but the one you were on. Then they added all this
>garbage about those to the left and to the right which is just too much gui
>for something so simple as closing all other tabs.

>Is there a way to get firefox to just close all tabs but the current tab
>without having to have a perhaps meaningful but generally worthless
>discussion with the firefox gui every time you want to close tabs?

Right click on tab you want to keep
Close multiple tabs
Close other tabs

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ev8gg5kbx700.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1289&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1289

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 23:58:05 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 04:58 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> When they first added the close tab option, many years ago, as I recall,
> you just closed all but the one you were on. Then they added all this
> garbage about those to the left and to the right which is just too much gui
> for something so simple as closing all other tabs.
>
> Is there a way to get firefox to just close all tabs but the current tab
> without having to have a perhaps meaningful but generally worthless
> discussion with the firefox gui every time you want to close tabs?

Hmm, say I have 10 tabs open. I right-click on a tab, and select Close
Multiple Tabs > Close other tabs. I get no prompt from Firefox asking
my to grant permission to close the other tabs.

Did you go into about:preferences > Tabs, and deselect the option
"Confirm before closing multiple tabs"?

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ugl6pp$2p8jn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1290&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1290

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 05:41:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 05:41 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>>When they first added the close tab option, many years ago, as I recall,
>>you just closed all but the one you were on. Then they added all this
>>garbage about those to the left and to the right which is just too much gui
>>for something so simple as closing all other tabs.

>>Is there a way to get firefox to just close all tabs but the current tab
>>without having to have a perhaps meaningful but generally worthless
>>discussion with the firefox gui every time you want to close tabs?

>Right click on tab you want to keep
>Close multiple tabs
>Close other tabs

I should emphasize that you right click on the tab you want to keep,
which doesn't need to be the open tab.

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ugmh3q$3ia9m$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1293&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1293

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:43:22 -0400
 by: Wally J - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:43 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote

> Hmm, say I have 10 tabs open. I right-click on a tab, and select Close
> Multiple Tabs > Close other tabs. I get no prompt from Firefox asking
> my to grant permission to close the other tabs.
>
> Did you go into about:preferences > Tabs, and deselect the option
> "Confirm before closing multiple tabs"?

Thanks for questioning the reason for asking the question which is a
combination of complaint & request for a single step workaround instead of
the four-step process it currently is (which includes reading multimenus).

You're probably much more willing to put up with more steps than I am.

Bear in mind almost every other browser has a two-step close other tabs.
Right click on the tab you want to keep > close all other tabs

There's no second click to argue on most browsers.
There's no list of multiple items you have to select from either.

there's just "Right click > Close other tabs".
Like God intended it to be for frequently performed actions.

Sort of like how God created Control+W to close the current window.
If it's something you do frequently, it shouldn't be four steps to do it!

A single-step workaround would be a way to close all other tabs but the
current tab like almost every other browser has - but not Firefox.

Or... if Firefox has this simple "close all but the current tab" option, I
don't know where it is other than in the menus that argue with me.

It used to be as simple as "I right-click on a tab, and select Close Other
Tabs" from the menu. that's how it _should_ be (and is on other browsers).

It's Firefox that wants to argue with me by getting down to specifics
(which it can have a separate menu for if it really wants to argue).

Anyway, I'm hoping to find a quick and simple single-step (like Control+W
is for closing one tab) method or a way to turn off the other menu options.

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ugmhi2$3ib08$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1294&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1294

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:50:57 -0400
 by: Wally J - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:50 UTC

"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote

>>>Is there a way to get firefox to just close all tabs but the current tab
>>>without having to have a perhaps meaningful but generally worthless
>>>discussion with the firefox gui every time you want to close tabs?
>
>>Right click on tab you want to keep
>>Close multiple tabs
>>Close other tabs
>
> I should emphasize that you right click on the tab you want to keep,
> which doesn't need to be the open tab.

Thanks for explaining how it works, as I appreciate any help I can get.

On most browsers, for something you do a thousand times a day, it's
Step 1. Right click on the tab you want to keep
Step 2. Choose the "Close other tabs" item

On Firefox, for something you do a thousand times a day, it's
Step 1. Right click on the tab you want to keep
Step 2. Choose the "Close Multiple Tabs >"
Step 3. Scroll down the list so as to not make a mistake
Step 4. Close Other Tabs

Why double the amount of steps when it's something you do all day?
A thousand times a day.

It's irritating that Firefox causes more steps than other browsers do.
Why make life harder for everyone just because they don't think about it?

Since everyone wants to reduce the number of steps for things you do a
thousand times a day, what I'm seeking is one of two things that may exist.

a. Maybe there _is_ a way to close all other tabs easily?
b. Maybe I can _move_ the "Close Other Tabs" to the main pulldown menu?

Since it's common to want to halve the number of steps for something you do
a thousand times a day, I'm hoping to find a way to do it more efficiently.

Any ideas?
--
The whole point of Usenet is to find people who know more than you do.
And to contribute to the overall tribal knowledge value of the newsgroup.

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<da695aqfj81p$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1296&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1296

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:57:02 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:57 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote
>
>> Hmm, say I have 10 tabs open. I right-click on a tab, and select Close
>> Multiple Tabs > Close other tabs. I get no prompt from Firefox asking
>> my to grant permission to close the other tabs.
>>
>> Did you go into about:preferences > Tabs, and deselect the option
>> "Confirm before closing multiple tabs"?
>
> You're probably much more willing to put up with more steps than I am.

I don't. Just right-click on a tab, use Close Multiple Tabs, make a
choice. Pretty simple. Perhaps you want to eliminate the choice of
which multiple choices for closing multiple tabs. That would require
moving those choices back one level in the menu making it longer, and
having your eyes move more to scan around the longer list.

Of course, you could just exit the web browser and start a new one. 2
clicks: the "X" button in the web browser, and the shortcut to the web
browser. But you lose the tab you wanted to keep.

> Bear in mind almost every other browser has a two-step close other tabs.
> Right click on the tab you want to keep > close all other tabs

Yep, just one choice in handling multiple tabs. In Firefox, for closing
multiple tabs, you choices are:

Close tabs to left
Close tabs to right
Close other tabs

According to you, Firefox gives you more choices than those "other" web
browsers. So, Mozilla cascaded those similar choices under a sub-menu
instead of making the parent menu longer. Even in File Explorer you
will find cascaded submenus to group by handler or function.

Look at Edge-C with multiple open tabs. Right-click on tab, and in the
menu are 3 choices:

Close tab
Close other tabs
Close tabs to the right

Well, closing a tab doesn't require using any menu. Just middle-click
on a tab to close it. Edge-C is missing the "close tabs to left" that
Firefox has. Plus, Edge-C has all the tab close options in the parent
menu making it longer. So, you could have condensed menuing that groups
similar functions, or flat menuing that dumps all entries into one menu.

Seems picyune to complain about 1 more mouse click that gives you 3
instead of 1 choice. There are add-ons for tab management, but I doubt
those will reduce the click count by 1, and instead increase click
count.

> There's no second click to argue on most browsers.
> There's no list of multiple items you have to select from either.

No selection required in Firefox, either. Just right-click on the tab
you want to keep.

> A single-step workaround would be a way to close all other tabs but the
> current tab like almost every other browser has - but not Firefox.

If all web browsers were exactly the same, there would be only 1 web
browser. There would be no purpose to the other web browsers. God
loves variety.

> Or... if Firefox has this simple "close all but the current tab" option, I
> don't know where it is other than in the menus that argue with me.

I don't get any prompts after selecting "Close other tabs", "Close tabs
to left", or "Close tabs to right". That's why I mentioned the setting
about no prompting on closing multiple tabs. Have you looked at it yet?

> It's Firefox that wants to argue with me by getting down to specifics
> (which it can have a separate menu for if it really wants to argue).

More about you not checking the setting I mentioned.

> Anyway, I'm hoping to find a quick and simple single-step (like Control+W
> is for closing one tab) method or a way to turn off the other menu options.

Okay, so now your complaint is there is no hotkey for closing all other
tabs than the currently selected one? That's a complaint about having
to use the mouse instead of using the keyboard. Many users don't like
having to take their hands off the keyboard, or want to use the keyboard
as much as possible.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts-perform-firefox-tasks-quickly#w_windows-tabs

I don't see a hotkey listed for "close other tabs". Again, when a web
browser - any web browser - fails to exhibit a behavior or missing
features you desire, look to add-ons.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/close-tabs-shortcuts/

Ctrl+W is Firefox's shortcut to close the current tab.

The add-ons adds the following hotkeys relative to the current tab:

Close Other (Alt+W) : Closes other tabs.
Close Left (Alt+Shift+F1) : Closes all tabs to the left.
Close Right (Alt+Shift+F2) : Closes all tabs to the right.

Instead of using the menus, use hotkeys.

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ugmlkr$3468g$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1297&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1297

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 14:00:31 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:00 UTC

On 10/17/23 12:50, Wally J wrote:
> It's irritating that Firefox causes more steps than other browsers do.
> Why make life harder for everyone just because they don't think about it?

I honestly like the "Close to the right" option, feels nice to quickly
close a section of my tabs quickly without manually grouping.

> Since everyone wants to reduce the number of steps for things you do a
> thousand times a day, what I'm seeking is one of two things that may exist.
>
> a. Maybe there _is_ a way to close all other tabs easily?
> b. Maybe I can _move_ the "Close Other Tabs" to the main pulldown menu?
>
> Since it's common to want to halve the number of steps for something you do
> a thousand times a day, I'm hoping to find a way to do it more efficiently.
>
> Any ideas?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/close-other-tabs-menu/
I did some research, found this.

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ugmluj$3468g$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1298&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1298

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 14:05:55 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:05 UTC

On 10/17/23 13:57, VanguardLH wrote:
> Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>> There's no second click to argue on most browsers.
>> There's no list of multiple items you have to select from either.
>
> No selection required in Firefox, either. Just right-click on the tab
> you want to keep.

Yeah, it's not really an extra click (at least on my computer). Hovering
over "Close multiple tabs" opens it automatically.

> If all web browsers were exactly the same, there would be only 1 web
> browser. There would be no purpose to the other web browsers. God
> loves variety.

Like chromium?

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<1i9ok8fqd4k5a.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1299&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1299

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 14:11:27 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:11 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote

>>>Right click on tab you want to keep
>>>Close multiple tabs
>>>Close other tabs
>>
>> I should emphasize that you right click on the tab you want to keep,
>> which doesn't need to be the open tab.
>
> Thanks for explaining how it works, as I appreciate any help I can get.
>
> On most browsers, for something you do a thousand times a day, it's
> Step 1. Right click on the tab you want to keep
> Step 2. Choose the "Close other tabs" item
>
> On Firefox, for something you do a thousand times a day, it's
> Step 1. Right click on the tab you want to keep
> Step 2. Choose the "Close Multiple Tabs >"
> Step 3. Scroll down the list so as to not make a mistake
> Step 4. Close Other Tabs

You added a step to bloat your step count. If the Firefox windows is so
tiny in height that you have to scroll through the submenu, the window
is also too tiny to be usable for web surfing. Step 3 is deliberate
bloat.

> Why double the amount of steps when it's something you do all day?
> A thousand times a day.

Get away from your computer to live a real life. If you're commiting
this action thousands of times per day, you are on your computer way too
much while opening thousands of tabs with likely little productivity.

With other web browsers (which you don't mention), you click a menu
choice, and click the "Close other tabs" entry. With Firefox, there is
one added click to get into the submenu showing multiple choices.

Okay, look at it another way. Why would you want to scroll your eyes
over a longer flat menu containing all choices, so no submenues, than
seeing functions grouped by submenus? Yes, I've seen users that have a
flat Start menu. Everything is listed in one menu. They spend lots of
times scrolling their eyes up and down hunting for an entry amounst
hundreds instead of following a hierarchy of submenues.

You can make one more mouse click, or you can scan through a longer list
of entries. Seems like the effort has not diminished between those
choices.

> It's irritating that Firefox causes more steps than other browsers do.
> Why make life harder for everyone just because they don't think about it?

Why do you think there are a variety of web browser choices? Because
they are DIFFERENT. We'd have only 1 web browser if all of them were
exactly the same.

> Since everyone wants to reduce the number of steps for things you do a
> thousand times a day, what I'm seeking is one of two things that may exist.

I don't live at my computer like you do. I have a real life. I don't
need to commit any action thousands of times a day. Nor do I open
thousands of useless tabs that I have to keep closing. Seems you are
attempting to find a solution to your behavior.

> a. Maybe there _is_ a way to close all other tabs easily?

See my other reply about an add-on that adds hotkeys. No having to wade
through that humongous and onerous cascading menu with submenus. Just
use a hotkey.

> b. Maybe I can _move_ the "Close Other Tabs" to the main pulldown menu?

Altering the chrome is why Mozilla took most of that away, because
malware did the same to make web browser unusable or malicious.

> Since it's common to want to halve the number of steps for something you do
> a thousand times a day, I'm hoping to find a way to do it more efficiently.

Try the add-on. When any web browser is missing something you want,
check if an add-on gives you what you desire. Instead of doing 2 mouse
clicks to close other tabs (3 in Firefox), you hit 2 keys for a key
combo to close other tabs.

Or start using those other web browser where you prefer their behavior.
Why stick with one that infuriates you with wasting time with an extra
mouse click for an operation you do thousands of times per day (which
I'm sure is a huge exaggeration).

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<tlotii915honiosr2cvpmjp62o1eg58ifi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1300&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1300

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:40:48 -0700
 by: Nobody - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:40 UTC

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 00:21:43 -0400, Wally J
<walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>When they first added the close tab option, many years ago, as I recall,
>you just closed all but the one you were on. Then they added all this
>garbage about those to the left and to the right which is just too much gui
>for something so simple as closing all other tabs.
>
>Is there a way to get firefox to just close all tabs but the current tab
>without having to have a perhaps meaningful but generally worthless
>discussion with the firefox gui every time you want to close tabs?

Have you tried looking for an add-on?

This *seems* to do what I think you're asking for:

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/addon/close-other-tabs-menu/?utm_source=addons.mozilla.org&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=search>

The explanatory blurb (when loaded) mentions "to the right" but I find
it closes all except the tab in focus.

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<eli$2310171556@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1301&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1301

From: *@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:58:16 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:58 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Is there a way to get firefox to just close all tabs but the
> current tab

Drag to keep tab out of bar to create a new window with just that tab,
close old window.

Elijah
------
closing windows and tabs is therapudic

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ugmp6g$3468g$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1302&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1302

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:01:19 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:01 UTC

On 10/17/23 14:11, VanguardLH wrote:
> Okay, look at it another way. Why would you want to scroll your eyes
> over a longer flat menu containing all choices, so no submenues, than
> seeing functions grouped by submenus? Yes, I've seen users that have a
> flat Start menu. Everything is listed in one menu. They spend lots of
> times scrolling their eyes up and down hunting for an entry amounst
> hundreds instead of following a hierarchy of submenues.

Those people are wild.

> Why do you think there are a variety of web browser choices? Because
> they are DIFFERENT. We'd have only 1 web browser if all of them were
> exactly the same.

Chromium?

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ugmp7j$3468g$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1303&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1303

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:01:55 -0500

On 10/17/23 14:58, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> closing windows and tabs is therapudic

Yeah, feels like spring cleaning.

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ugmp98$357o5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1304&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1304

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:02:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:02 UTC

Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
>Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>>Is there a way to get firefox to just close all tabs but the
>>current tab

>Drag to keep tab out of bar to create a new window with just that tab,
>close old window.

>Elijah
>------
>closing windows and tabs is therapudic

Close all tabs WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE.

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<dzwyr6vxp24s.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1305&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1305

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:38:55 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:38 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Why do you think there are a variety of web browser choices? Because
>> they are DIFFERENT. We'd have only 1 web browser if all of them were
>> exactly the same.
>
> Chromium?

Perhaps, but I'm sure the variants have which menu setups. Edge-C
(Chromium variant) has "Close tab", "Close other tabs", and "Close tabs
to the right" flattened in the parent menu; i.e., no cascade submenu for
those similar tab functions. The OP could use Edge-C to reduce his
mouse click count for those thousands of times per day he has to close
all those other tabs he keeps accumulating.

Some folks like Vivaldi, a Chromium variant, because of its
configurability, like with its chrome (small "c"). I haven't used it to
know how deep in a menu to get at "Close other tabs". The folks at
https://vivaldi.net/ would probably know how customizable is the menuing
system.

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<1vrbdqlbhln14$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1306&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1306

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:40:56 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:40 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>>
>>> There's no second click to argue on most browsers.
>>> There's no list of multiple items you have to select from either.
>>
>> No selection required in Firefox, either. Just right-click on the tab
>> you want to keep.
>
> Yeah, it's not really an extra click (at least on my computer). Hovering
> over "Close multiple tabs" opens it automatically.

Ah, I was counting mouse clicks without testing on-hover. Thanks for
the update.

Re: Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it

<ugmtde$3468f$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1307&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1307

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:13:17 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:13 UTC

On 10/17/23 15:40, VanguardLH wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>> Yeah, it's not really an extra click (at least on my computer). Hovering
>> over "Close multiple tabs" opens it automatically.
>
> Ah, I was counting mouse clicks without testing on-hover. Thanks for
> the update.

It's pretty convenient to just slide over to the close option.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Close tabs without having to argue with Firefox about it