"Hello again, Peabody here..." -- Mister Peabody

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

SubjectAuthor
* does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?Woozy Song
+- Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?Spiros Bousbouras
+- Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?Marco Moock
+- Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?The Natural Philosopher
+- Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?Anssi Saari
`* Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?Andreas Kohlbach
 `* Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?Robert Heller
  `* Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?Carlos E.R.
   `* Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?Robert Heller
    `* Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?Joerg Lorenz
     `* Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?The Natural Philosopher
      `* Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?Andy Burns
       `* Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?The Natural Philosopher
        `- Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?Andy Burns

1
does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<u7e11o$1avq5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12766&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12766

From: suzyw0ng@outlook.com (Woozy Song)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:53:40 +0800
 by: Woozy Song - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 06:53 UTC

My broadband modem shat itself so ISP sent me a new modem. I find my
internet speed is just shy of 100 Mbps.
ethtool says speed is 1000 Mbps. So I wonder did they send me a crippled
modem? The new modem is really dumbed down. If you go to 192.168.0.1
control panel, there is a lot less information than the old modem.

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<yIZU7rFeBRmcym1uX@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12767&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12767

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:25:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:25 UTC

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:53:40 +0800
Woozy Song <suzyw0ng@outlook.com> wrote:
> My broadband modem shat itself so ISP sent me a new modem. I find my
> internet speed is just shy of 100 Mbps.

I don't have anything with regard to your question but I just want to say
that I am most impressed that you get a speed close to 100 Mbps. I assume
this means that you downloaded from some website at that speed. The highest I
ever got was around 6 Mbps. Which is fine for my needs and I don't even have
the fastest package my ISP offers but still , 100 Mbps is impressive.

> ethtool says speed is 1000 Mbps. So I wonder did they send me a crippled
> modem? The new modem is really dumbed down. If you go to 192.168.0.1
> control panel, there is a lot less information than the old modem.

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<u7e7dv$1bemp$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12768&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12768

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 10:42:39 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:42 UTC

Am 27.06.2023 um 14:53:40 Uhr schrieb Woozy Song:

> My broadband modem shat itself so ISP sent me a new modem. I find my
> internet speed is just shy of 100 Mbps.
> ethtool says speed is 1000 Mbps. So I wonder did they send me a
> crippled modem?

ethtool is only relevant for the ethernet link between your NIC and the
next device, like a switch or a DSL modem. It doesn't say anything
about the link speeds behind the modem. Make sure that you have a link
of 1000MBit/s full duplex if both support it. Look what they advertise.

m@ryz:~$ sudo ethtool eno1
[sudo] Passwort für m:
Settings for eno1:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]

#This is what the NIC is capable of:

Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported

#These are the speeds that your NIC advertises to the other one for
autonegotiation

Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported

##This is the actual speed
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full

Auto-negotiation: on
master-slave cfg: preferred slave
master-slave status: slave
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: external
MDI-X: Unknown
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: d
Link detected: yes
m@ryz:~$

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<u7e7nu$1bmbj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12769&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12769

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 09:47:58 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:47 UTC

On 27/06/2023 07:53, Woozy Song wrote:
> My broadband modem shat itself so ISP sent me a new modem. I find my
> internet speed is just shy of 100 Mbps.
> ethtool says speed is 1000 Mbps. So I wonder did they send me a crippled
> modem? The new modem is really dumbed down. If you go to 192.168.0.1
> control panel, there is a lot less information than the old modem.

Surely ethtool shows you the speed you are talking to the modem, not the
speed that it (the modem) talks to the Internet?
and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<sm04jmt46ij.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12770&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12770

From: anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 12:08:20 +0300
sha1:cEgCTg+WAQqlRXCuKvtH52uXpMA=
 by: Anssi Saari - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 09:08 UTC

Woozy Song <suzyw0ng@outlook.com> writes:

To answer the question in subject, for me ethtool shows negotiated speed
on the line that says Speed:. But that's the speed between the computer
and modem, "internet speed" is between the modem and whatever is on the
other side of that.

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<87r0pwn4vc.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12771&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12771

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:21:11 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 18:21 UTC

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:53:40 +0800, Woozy Song wrote:

> My broadband modem shat itself so ISP sent me a new modem. I find my
> internet speed is just shy of 100 Mbps.
> ethtool says speed is 1000 Mbps. So I wonder did they send me a
> crippled modem? The new modem is really dumbed down. If you go to
> 192.168.0.1
> control panel, there is a lot less information than the old modem.

As others already say, your speed is OK.

1000 means *if* your ISP allows (in future) you can push that through
it. If your ISP may be offers 1500 at some point, your modem will become
a bottleneck; stuck at 1000.

I would check your contract, what your ISP is supposed to deliver. If he
says 100 Mbps or 120, that's okay. But if it's 200 or more then there's
something wrong (or the web page you used to test wasn't the best choice).
--
Andreas

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<7yGdnXfwtKZE1Qb5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12772&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12772

From: heller@deepsoft.com (Robert Heller)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 20:38:49 +0000
 by: Robert Heller - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 20:38 UTC

At Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:21:11 -0400 Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:53:40 +0800, Woozy Song wrote:
> >
> > My broadband modem shat itself so ISP sent me a new modem. I find my
> > internet speed is just shy of 100 Mbps.
> > ethtool says speed is 1000 Mbps. So I wonder did they send me a
> > crippled modem? The new modem is really dumbed down. If you go to
> > 192.168.0.1
> > control panel, there is a lot less information than the old modem.
>
> As others already say, your speed is OK.
>
> 1000 means *if* your ISP allows (in future) you can push that through
> it. If your ISP may be offers 1500 at some point, your modem will become
> a bottleneck; stuck at 1000.

What ethtool is telling you about is the speed negotiated between your
ethernet card and whatever your ethernet cable is jacked into. If you have a
gig switch and a gig NIC, you will have a gig connection between your computer
and the switch (and probably between that switch and anything else [on your
LAN] jacked into that switch that has gig NICs. What is happing on the
otherside of the broadband modem's router is not something ethtool knows
anything about.

Note: unless you are paying like $1000/month for full dedicated gig service,
you are getting "best effort" service. This means you *might* get gig service
if you are the *only* user on the 'net in your whole town (or city or
whatever). [Maybe in the wee hours of the morning.] Otherwise you and
everybody else is "sharing" a (few) gig.

> I would check your contract, what your ISP is supposed to deliver. If he
> says 100 Mbps or 120, that's okay. But if it's 200 or more then there's
> something wrong (or the web page you used to test wasn't the best choice).

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<pk0smjxp6b.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12773&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12773

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 23:24:09 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 21:24 UTC

On 2023-06-27 22:38, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:21:11 -0400 Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:53:40 +0800, Woozy Song wrote:

> Note: unless you are paying like $1000/month for full dedicated gig service,
> you are getting "best effort" service. This means you *might* get gig service
> if you are the *only* user on the 'net in your whole town (or city or
> whatever). [Maybe in the wee hours of the morning.] Otherwise you and
> everybody else is "sharing" a (few) gig.

Huh, no.

Here, we all get 1 gig bidirectional, actually 1 gig, measured, and not
shared. We have fiber to the home.

Actually, I have lowered the speed to save some money.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<n2ednVlHNr-oFAb5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12774&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12774

From: heller@deepsoft.com (Robert Heller)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 01:13:25 +0000
 by: Robert Heller - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 01:13 UTC

At Tue, 27 Jun 2023 23:24:09 +0200 "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> On 2023-06-27 22:38, Robert Heller wrote:
> > At Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:21:11 -0400 Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
> >> On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:53:40 +0800, Woozy Song wrote:
>

> > Note: unless you are paying like $1000/month for full dedicated gig service,
> > you are getting "best effort" service. This means you *might* get gig service
> > if you are the *only* user on the 'net in your whole town (or city or
> > whatever). [Maybe in the wee hours of the morning.] Otherwise you and
> > everybody else is "sharing" a (few) gig.
>
> Huh, no.
>
> Here, we all get 1 gig bidirectional, actually 1 gig, measured, and not
> shared. We have fiber to the home.

It is unlikely that your "fiber to the home" is dedicated 1gig, it is 1gig
"best effort". And yes, it will actually be 1 gig some of the time, possibly
much of the time, but during some times of the day, it will likely degrade to
something less, depending on how "busy" things are.

> Actually, I have lowered the speed to save some money.

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services
heller@deepsoft.com -- Webhosting Services

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<u7gkr1$1qv2g$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12775&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12775

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 08:43:45 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 06:43 UTC

Am 28.06.23 um 03:13 schrieb Robert Heller:
> At Tue, 27 Jun 2023 23:24:09 +0200 "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> Here, we all get 1 gig bidirectional, actually 1 gig, measured, and not
>> shared. We have fiber to the home.
>
> It is unlikely that your "fiber to the home" is dedicated 1gig, it is 1gig
> "best effort". And yes, it will actually be 1 gig some of the time, possibly
> much of the time, but during some times of the day, it will likely degrade to
> something less, depending on how "busy" things are.

We have 1 Gbit/s guaranteed with FTH. For some rather little money we
can upgrade to 10 Gbit/s guaranteed.

Best effort contracts are long over. At least here in Switzerland and
AFIK in Europe as far as FTH is concerned.

--
Prudentia potentia est

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<u842qv$i2n1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12797&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12797

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 16:39:11 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 15:39 UTC

On 28/06/2023 07:43, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> We have 1 Gbit/s guaranteed with FTH. For some rather little money we
> can upgrade to 10 Gbit/s guaranteed.
>
> Best effort contracts are long over. At least here in Switzerland and
> AFIK in Europe as far as FTH is concerned.

I am not sure that is completely true.

My fibre gives me 40Gbps nominal, but I have been informed - perhaps
erroneously - that it is not a *time division*, but code division
multiplexed fibre, and is shared with other local users. So can suffer
from (some) contention.

That's BT Openreach in the UK

Any better information gladly accepted

--
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.”

― Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<kglqroF32hfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12802&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12802

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 19:24:57 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 18:24 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> My fibre gives me 40G
^
really?!
bps nominal, but I have been informed - perhaps
> erroneously - that it is not a *time division*, but code division
> multiplexed fibre

The downstream is passively split, every router sharing your fibre sees
all the encrypted packets, but can only decrypt the ones intended for it
(and presumably a few "common" packets that all routers see?)

The amount you pay determines the maximum volume of packets you are
entitled to receive per unit time, there's a total of 2.5Gbps worth of
downlink and 1.25Gpbs of uplink.

if there are (up to) 30 users sharing your fibre, and everyone is
greedy, there's about 10Mbps per home available, but if someone is
paying for 900Mbps while the rest are just on 40 or 80Mbps, does he get
10x or 20x as much downstream as everyone else?

The uplink is rigid time division, so your router doesn't shine its
light on top of your neighbours

> and is shared with other local users. So can suffer
> from (some) contention.
>
> That's BT Openreach in the UK
>
> Any better information gladly accepted

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<u84gc4$jide$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12803&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12803

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 20:30:12 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 19:30 UTC

On 05/07/2023 19:24, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> My fibre gives me 40G
>                       ^
>                   really?!
>                         bps nominal, but I have been informed - perhaps
>> erroneously - that it is not a *time division*, but code division
>> multiplexed fibre

My bad. I have been in der hoppital for a week and they don't feed you
fish. Brain is now comprised of soggy puddings

> The downstream is passively split, every router sharing your fibre sees
> all the encrypted packets, but can only decrypt the ones intended for it
> (and presumably a few "common" packets that all routers see?)
>
> The amount you pay determines the maximum volume of packets you are
> entitled to receive per unit time, there's a total of 2.5Gbps worth of
> downlink and 1.25Gpbs of uplink.

Ah, so that's how it works...

> if there are (up to) 30 users sharing your fibre, and everyone is
> greedy, there's about 10Mbps per home available, but if someone is
> paying for 900Mbps while the rest are just on 40 or 80Mbps, does he get
> 10x or 20x as much downstream as everyone else?

Pass.

> The uplink is rigid time division, so your router doesn't shine its
> light on top of your neighbours

That's why I *always* get my 10.whatever Mbps

all women"

Re: does ethtool show negotiated or maximum speed of NIC?

<kglv40F3o2tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12804&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12804

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 20:37:37 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 19:37 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>> The uplink is rigid time division, so your router doesn't shine its
>> light on top of your neighbours
>>
> That's why I *always* get my 10.whatever Mbps

Well, strictly speaking it's the ONT that converts the router's 1Gb
ethernet to and from the fibre, which is doing the shining.

TX and RX can both happen at the same time, as they use different
wavelengths of light.