From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Wyse 5060, good, cheap desktop
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 00:56:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 00:56 UTC

The Dell Wyse 5060 thin client came in. All the changes in the BIOS needed
to install Linux (or Windows) had already been done for me. It was in like
new condition and Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce installed and completely upgraded in
30 minutes. (I put the ISO on 2.0 USB drive or it would have installed
faster on 3.x Live USB.) It works well "out of box." It streams full screen
HD and seems almost like using my i5 Dell Micro. (Same power supply, almost
the same size.) Linux supports the R5E GPU and and audio works well. Even
supports my audio volume settings on my keyboard. I'm thinking of getting
another one and sending it to my dad for a backup. No fan. Can use 16 GBs of
RAM and has a SATA port and enough room to accommodate a 2.5" SATA SSD, but
you would have to provide extender cables for that. The SATA flash drive
that it comes with is 64 GB "MLC" half height module, which fits without an
extender cable.

At any rate, it was a successful experiment. The newest version of Linux
Mint runs on it — I assume any Linux distribution would run well on it. It
would probably run Windows 10 acceptably. (I don't compile programs, don't
have a lot browser windows open at a time and don't create multimedia
presentations, but for how I use a computer this one works fine.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404844862714

The big heat sink makes it significantly heavier than my Optiplex Micro
computers. That was a surprise, I thought it would be lighter because of the
plastic case. (It has a metal chassis, however — well built.)

I'm guessing this little computer would work really well as a remote client.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."

Re: Wyse 5060, good, cheap desktop

<utug2d$1q9aa$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12771&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12771

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Wyse 5060, good, cheap desktop
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 08:46:05 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:46 UTC

RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> The Dell Wyse 5060 thin client came in. All the changes in the BIOS needed
> to install Linux (or Windows) had already been done for me. It was in like
> new condition and Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce installed and completely upgraded in
> 30 minutes. (I put the ISO on 2.0 USB drive or it would have installed
> faster on 3.x Live USB.) It works well "out of box." It streams full screen
> HD and seems almost like using my i5 Dell Micro. (Same power supply, almost
> the same size.) Linux supports the R5E GPU and and audio works well. Even
> supports my audio volume settings on my keyboard. I'm thinking of getting
> another one and sending it to my dad for a backup. No fan. Can use 16 GBs of
> RAM and has a SATA port and enough room to accommodate a 2.5" SATA SSD, but
> you would have to provide extender cables for that. The SATA flash drive
> that it comes with is 64 GB "MLC" half height module, which fits without an
> extender cable.
>
> At any rate, it was a successful experiment. The newest version of Linux
> Mint runs on it — I assume any Linux distribution would run well on it. It
> would probably run Windows 10 acceptably. (I don't compile programs, don't
> have a lot browser windows open at a time and don't create multimedia
> presentations, but for how I use a computer this one works fine.)
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/404844862714
>
> The big heat sink makes it significantly heavier than my Optiplex Micro
> computers. That was a surprise, I thought it would be lighter because of the
> plastic case. (It has a metal chassis, however — well built.)
>
> I'm guessing this little computer would work really well as a remote client.

+1

--
Your manuscript is both good and original, but the part that is good is not
original and the part that is original is not good. -- Samuel Johnson