All the existing 2.0.x kernels are to buggy for 2.1.x to be the main goal. -- Alan Cox

computers / comp.misc / Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDE

SubjectAuthor
* Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDESylvia Else
+* Re: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDEAdrian Caspersz
|`* Re: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDESylvia Else
| `* Re: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDEComputer Nerd Kev
|  `- Re: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDESylvia Else
`- Re: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDEBruce Horrocks

1
Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDE

<ivbm8pFrs8lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1261&group=comp.misc#1261

From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDE
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:48:07 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 05:48 UTC

What kind of software displays the elements of an array in alphabetical
order of array index expressed in decimal? Are they actively trying to
drive their users insane?

Gah!!!

Sylvia.

Re: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDE

<ivc34oFu5anU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1262&group=comp.misc#1262

From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDE
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 09:27:52 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 09:27 UTC

On 14/11/2021 05:48, Sylvia Else wrote:
> What kind of software displays the elements of an array in alphabetical
> order of array index expressed in decimal? Are they actively trying to
> drive their users insane?

Was each element initially added with a key value?
Was that key type a string?

--
Adrian C

Re: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDE

<ivc3m8Fu8i6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1263&group=comp.misc#1263

From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 20:37:11 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 09:37 UTC

On 14-Nov-21 8:27 pm, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> On 14/11/2021 05:48, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> What kind of software displays the elements of an array in
>> alphabetical order of array index expressed in decimal? Are they
>> actively trying to drive their users insane?
>
> Was each element initially added with a key value?
> Was that key type a string?

It's a debug page giving access to the variables programmed in 'C' into
a micro controller.

There's an option to sort the variables by ascending or descending
alphabetical order of name, or not sort them at all. Thing is, if one
chooses to expand an array to look at its elements, the elements numbers
are sorted using the same sort as for the variable names, which makes no
sense at all.

The IDE is written in Java. It's probably using a built in Java Table
class which is just supplied with the text, and without regard to the
ramifications.

But it's not open source, as far as I know, and even if it is, I'm not
inclined to start debugging it.

Sylvia.

Re: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDE

<smrudh$ke2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1265&group=comp.misc#1265

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 21:17:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 21:17 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:

> The IDE is written in Java. It's probably using a built in Java Table
> class which is just supplied with the text, and without regard to the
> ramifications.
>
> But it's not open source, as far as I know, and even if it is, I'm not
> inclined to start debugging it.

Yeah, the compiler, linker, etc. are open-souce because they're
actually based on GCC (nevertheless they get away with crippling
features to favour their paid versions in the binaries they
provide), but I don't think the MPLAB IDE is.

You can get by without MPLAB, at least for devices old enough that
they released separate peripheral libraries for them. There's 3rd
party software for programming chips, though without the in-circuit
debugging features.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDE

<ivdjdnF8i8dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1267&group=comp.misc#1267

From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 10:11:50 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 23:11 UTC

On 15-Nov-21 8:17 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> The IDE is written in Java. It's probably using a built in Java Table
>> class which is just supplied with the text, and without regard to the
>> ramifications.
>>
>> But it's not open source, as far as I know, and even if it is, I'm not
>> inclined to start debugging it.
>
> Yeah, the compiler, linker, etc. are open-souce because they're
> actually based on GCC (nevertheless they get away with crippling
> features to favour their paid versions in the binaries they
> provide), but I don't think the MPLAB IDE is.

They used to prevent optimisation, but the current versions will optimise.

> You can get by without MPLAB, at least for devices old enough that
> they released separate peripheral libraries for them. There's 3rd
> party software for programming chips, though without the in-circuit
> debugging features.

The particular issue is one of those things that's not that big a deal
once one knows about it, but it took me a while trying to figure out
what the hell was going on before I realised that I wasn't seeing all
the elements in the correct order.

Sylvia.

Re: Rant: Microchip MPLAB IDE

<5da7b6fd-2a28-44cb-ffa1-9b55222eae3d@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1273&group=comp.misc#1273

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 21:55:04 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 21:55 UTC

On 14/11/2021 05:48, Sylvia Else wrote:
> What kind of software displays the elements of an array in alphabetical
> order of array index expressed in decimal? Are they actively trying to
> drive their users insane?

The kind where the developers think that testing with more then 9 items
counts as PVT and is therefore not their responsibility?

> Gah!!!

Indeed.

--
Bruce Horrocks