From: lt@gnu.rocks (Lester Thorpe)
Subject: Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:35:25 +0000
 by: Lester Thorpe - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:35 UTC

Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!

It's profile change time (it happens about once ever 5 years).
The default will soon be profile 23.0.

No big deal, eh? Well, no, unless you are a sane and rational
human being.

The security paranoiacs are at it again. Profile 23.0 will
force the use of "default-stack-clash-protection" and
"default-znow" options for the gcc compiler, which will then
cause all packages to be built with those fucking insane
hardening features.

This stuff use to be limited specifically to the "hardened"
profiles, but not any more. The crazy mutherfucking Gentoo
devs have made it the default for ALL profiles.

But there is a way to avoid this psycho-security shit.

The files in /etc/portage/profile allow the user to override
that whacked nonsense.

Just add the following line to your "package.use.force"
file:

sys-devel/gcc -cet -default-stack-clash-protection -default-znow -libssp nopie nossp -pie -sanitize -ssp vanilla -vtv

Make sure the "vanilla" is there. That will prevent any
Gentoo-custom security patches from being applied.

That'll keep their fucking psycho fingers off your gcc.

Gentoo is still the ONE and ONLY GNU/Linux distro.

ALL others are just TOYS for FUCKING TOTS.

Re: Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!

<utmr26$3k9dr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12547&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12547

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:04:38 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:04 UTC

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:35:25 +0000, Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote in
<17bf6b7333fab780$3$2218499$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>:

> Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!
>
> It's profile change time (it happens about once ever 5 years).
> The default will soon be profile 23.0.
>
> No big deal, eh? Well, no, unless you are a sane and rational human
> being.
>
> The security paranoiacs are at it again. Profile 23.0 will force the
> use of "default-stack-clash-protection" and "default-znow" options for
> the gcc compiler, which will then cause all packages to be built with
> those fucking insane hardening features.
>
> This stuff use to be limited specifically to the "hardened"
> profiles, but not any more. The crazy mutherfucking Gentoo devs have
> made it the default for ALL profiles.
>
> But there is a way to avoid this psycho-security shit.
>
> The files in /etc/portage/profile allow the user to override that
> whacked nonsense.
>
> Just add the following line to your "package.use.force"
> file:
>
> sys-devel/gcc -cet -default-stack-clash-protection -default-znow -libssp
> nopie nossp -pie -sanitize -ssp vanilla -vtv
>
> Make sure the "vanilla" is there. That will prevent any Gentoo-custom
> security patches from being applied.
>
> That'll keep their fucking psycho fingers off your gcc.
>
> Gentoo is still the ONE and ONLY GNU/Linux distro.

So you admit you use a "distro" -- doesn't that make
you a "distro-lackey", hmmmm?
> ALL others are just TOYS for FUCKING TOTS.

When I think of the gyrations I used to go through to
use Fedora Core, then Fedora...

I don't know what that's like today, but that was some real
he-man Linux.

You kids don't know how easy you have it now.

I switched to Mint because I got tired of fighting
Red Hat's control of a (supposedly) "community" distribution.
Got too old for the "add repo X to be able to play an mp3", or
"sorry, we won't include ECC in our openssl SRPMS because
we don't understand the legal ramifications". Had enough of
that.

And also: who here, besides you, is using Gentoo?

--
-v

Re: Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!

<65ff01d5$0$6393$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12550&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12550

Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:22:45 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
 by: DFS - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:22 UTC

On 3/23/2024 11:04 AM, vallor wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:35:25 +0000, Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote in
> <17bf6b7333fab780$3$2218499$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>:
>>
>> Gentoo is still the ONE and ONLY GNU/Linux distro.
>
> So you admit you use a "distro" -- doesn't that make
> you a "distro-lackey", hmmmm?

Feeb is big on rules for thee but not for me.

> And also: who here, besides you, is using Gentoo?

Remember Greg Shearman (Aussie)? He was a Gentoo user.

He started having brain seizures in 2013, and hasn't posted since early
2014.

Re: Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!

<sg4uvi1drt3odi8vborvgd8g6h1ha1kdo4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12556&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12556

From: chrisv@nospam.invalid (chrisv)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:36:48 -0500
 by: chrisv - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 17:36 UTC

vallor wrote:

>I switched to Mint because I got tired of fighting
>Red Hat's control of a (supposedly) "community" distribution.
>Got too old for the "add repo X to be able to play an mp3", or
>"sorry, we won't include ECC in our openssl SRPMS because
>we don't understand the legal ramifications". Had enough of
>that.

Do you think that they have legit reasons for being that way, or is it
a more a "control and profit" situation?

Many of us prefer the convenience of distros that are less "FOSS
pure", but can understand why some, such as debian, should remain so.
At least, by default.

--
"Tell us again how you can count the lines of code and know how much
of the original Linux kernel code is in the current Linux kernel." -