Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / easy bcd; alt boot record repair

SubjectAuthor
* easy bcd; alt boot record repairvjp2.at
+- Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repairRich
+- Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repairAnssi Saari
+- Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repairBobbie Sellers
`* Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repairvjp2.at
 `* Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repairvjp2.at
  +- Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repairBobbie Sellers
  `- Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repairRich

1
easy bcd; alt boot record repair

<u4jj7p$odk$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12536&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12536

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: easy bcd; alt boot record repair
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 23:46:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Tue, 23 May 2023 23:46 UTC

Ran EasyBCD but have no internet, and needed .net 2.0

Is there an ISO like BCD that can just fix my boot record

Had several iterations between XP and reactos and now CAELinux (ubuntu) won't
reinstall without erasing everything because it claims I don't have a boot
record. It boots an MS bootloader that offers dos, reactos and Xp (tho one of
the two latter is a zombie)

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repair

<u4jnjh$2nr23$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12537&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12537

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repair
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 01:00:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Wed, 24 May 2023 01:00 UTC

vjp2.at@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> Ran EasyBCD but have no internet, and needed .net 2.0

Use VirtualBox.

> Is there an ISO like BCD that can just fix my boot record

No

> Had several iterations between XP and reactos and now CAELinux
> (ubuntu) won't reinstall without erasing everything because it claims
> I don't have a boot record. It boots an MS bootloader that offers
> dos, reactos and Xp (tho one of the two latter is a zombie)

Use VirtualBox.

Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repair

<sm0bkia9prz.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12538&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12538

From: anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 10:01:20 +0300
sha1:C39RKeYHt0BohejSK4IX5ce28Cs=
 by: Anssi Saari - Wed, 24 May 2023 07:01 UTC

vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com writes:

> Ran EasyBCD but have no internet, and needed .net 2.0
>
> Is there an ISO like BCD that can just fix my boot record

I think old Windows XP rescue environment had fixmbr and fixboot
commands which might help. Or break everything so caveat emptor.

I think XP install disks had an option to boot to rescue mode. Or was it
recovery mode? Sorry, not really clear on how things worked in XP any
more. I think I upgraded my personal Windows system to Windows 7 back in
2010 or 2011.

Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repair

<u4kfid$2tldq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12539&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12539

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 00:49:31 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Wed, 24 May 2023 07:49 UTC

On 5/23/23 16:46, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> Ran EasyBCD but have no internet, and needed .net 2.0
>
> Is there an ISO like BCD that can just fix my boot record
>
> Had several iterations between XP and reactos and now CAELinux (ubuntu) won't
> reinstall without erasing everything because it claims I don't have a boot
> record. It boots an MS bootloader that offers dos, reactos and Xp (tho one of
> the two latter is a zombie)

I dunno if it cam be done but you might try rescatux-0.74.iso. be sure
to get the accompanying rescatux-0.74.iso.md5 so that you can
run a checksum on your download.
<https://www.supergrubdisk.org/2021/11/14/rescatux-0-74-released/>
Make notes while you work. These tools can be confusing but come with
lots of help files.

Super Grub Disk2 is a very small iso file which once it is booted and
it runs a examination of the disk setup should be able to boot any
OS. I useds to use it a lot when I had multiple partions of a 500 GB
disk and the disk behaved badly around booting. Then I started using or
trying to use VirtualBox and if I could afford the high end devices I
want with multiple cores and twice as many threads I would do it all
virtual.
As always good luck with what seem to me to be mad endeavors.
bliss PCLinuxOS 64 Linux 6.2.3 Plasma 5.27.5

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repair

<u4m7u0$dv2$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12540&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12540

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 23:51:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Wed, 24 May 2023 23:51 UTC

Great answers (fixmbr, supergrup, rescatux). Will try soon. Many htanks

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repair

<u4os48$nvk$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12542&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12542

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 23:48:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Thu, 25 May 2023 23:48 UTC

Couldn't get fixmbr or fixboot but there is a system - advanced menu on XP
that lets you edit the boot file, and it worked.
THen I got ambitious and changed the text in quotes and it didn't like my
changes to XP and said NTLDR missing. SO I repaired WIndows. I suspect I may
have either killed a quote or moved a line separator.
I want to try again, but am horrified

rescutux is very cool, but I mostly used gparted (which I already have).
supergrub2 - gives info, but what dies it do?

Now, I still can't get CAELinux(ubuntu) to reinstall. It had worked many
times as I cycled beteween reactos and xp and it messed up the linux install.

At one point now it gave me root error which is what I had with quantian.

Now, XP and DOS are fine, so there is some boot record.
But what happened to GRUB?

I deleted the logican and extended partition (because in previous reinstalls,
it wanted to add another install next to the old one instead of on
top/repair).

I'll likely get back to this on TUesday because I can't access the necessary facilites

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repair

<u4p5tl$3rqul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12545&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12545

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 19:35:33 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Fri, 26 May 2023 02:35 UTC

On 5/25/23 16:48, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> Couldn't get fixmbr or fixboot but there is a system - advanced menu on XP
> that lets you edit the boot file, and it worked.
> THen I got ambitious and changed the text in quotes and it didn't like my
> changes to XP and said NTLDR missing. SO I repaired WIndows. I suspect I may
> have either killed a quote or moved a line separator.
> I want to try again, but am horrified
>
> rescutux is very cool, but I mostly used gparted (which I already have).

Rescutux lets you fix boot blocks of various source. It is not for
doing the work that GPartEd makes simple. Read the onscreen direction
for repairing your system, it may fail but it may fix the problem you
alone have caused by your failure to keep up with the GNU/Linux, etc.
news and changes.

> supergrub2 - gives info, but what dies it do?

Read the documentation but basically it lets you boot any distribution
on my systems when I used it in the past, if that system was properly
installed at some point.

> Now, I still can't get CAELinux(ubuntu) to reinstall. It had worked many
> times as I cycled beteween reactos and xp and it messed up the linux install.
>
> At one point now it gave me root error which is what I had with quantian.
>
> Now, XP and DOS are fine, so there is some boot record.
> But what happened to GRUB?

Ask Rescutux. That is what it is for.

> I deleted the logican and extended partition (because in previous reinstalls,
> it wanted to add another install next to the old one instead of on
> top/repair).
>

> I'll likely get back to this on TUesday because I can't access the necessary facilites

Oh that I believe.

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: easy bcd; alt boot record repair

<u4pa1d$3s8c5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12547&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12547

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 03:45:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Fri, 26 May 2023 03:45 UTC

vjp2.at@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> I want to try again, but am horrified

Use VirtualBox https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox

You can have as many different "machines" as you have disk space to
store them, without ever breaking your main host machines boot setup.