From: EIEIO@EIEIOSPAM.COM (EIEIO)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Win 7 Pro SP1 Startup
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 20:08:30 -0700
 by: EIEIO - Wed, 12 May 2021 03:08 UTC

Power on or Reset button, takes a minute before I even see a blinking
disk light. Why so slow ? What is it doing? Numlock is always on after
boot, why ?

3.5GHz Intel i5-3570K 8 G RAM.

I tried running Nero 12.2.21048 BlueRay player.
inserted disk and Explorer recognized disk and gave it a proper volume
name and I see files.
Nero hangs up requiring a boot to recover.

Re: Win 7 Pro SP1 Startup

<s7fml7$4ut$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1246&group=alt.windows7.general#1246

From: NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Win 7 Pro SP1 Startup
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 21:47:34 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Wed, 12 May 2021 04:47 UTC

EIEIO graced us with on 5/11/2021 8:08 PM:
> Power on or Reset button, takes a minute before I even see a blinking
> disk light. Why so slow ? What is it doing? Numlock is always on after
> boot, why ?
>
> 3.5GHz Intel i5-3570K 8 G RAM.
>
> I tried running Nero 12.2.21048 BlueRay player.
> inserted disk and Explorer recognized disk and gave it a proper volume
> name and I see files.
> Nero hangs up requiring a boot to recover.

Did this just all of a sudden happen or did it occur after, say, a
power-out event? Have you installed any new software recently? Maybe a
disk crash situation?

If none of the seems likely, you could attempt to do a system restore
from a time when you know it was working fine. WARNING: If you are
experiencing some file manager issues, make sure you attempt to backup
your critical data soon to ensure you don't lose it if a permanent crash
occurs unexpectedly.

Good luck.

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Win 7 Pro SP1 Startup

<hinm9gtg1gilnuja7rlv3pvl55td6cfcs2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1248&group=alt.windows7.general#1248

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 00:00:59 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 12 May 2021 05:00 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 20:08:30 -0700, EIEIO <EIEIO@EIEIOSPAM.COM> wrote:

>Power on or Reset button, takes a minute before I even see a blinking
>disk light. Why so slow ? What is it doing?

You're much closer to that undescribed computer than anyone so you might be
in the best position to see what's on the screen during that time. If it's
a static logo, go into the BIOS and disable that, or sometimes you can hit
Esc to temporarily disable it. You might find that it's doing a memory
check, which can usually be disabled, or maybe it's configured to poll an
expansion card during boot, or it's looking for a DHCP server or trying to
do a network boot. What do you see?

>Numlock is always on after boot, why ?

You presumably have the BIOS configured to do that. Some systems can also
be configured to restore the previous setting, whatever it may have been.

>3.5GHz Intel i5-3570K 8 G RAM.
>

>I tried running Nero 12.2.21048 BlueRay player.
>inserted disk and Explorer recognized disk and gave it a proper volume
>name and I see files.
>Nero hangs up requiring a boot to recover.

Do other discs work properly in that player? Or, try that disc in another
player. I suggest a virtual player, of which there are several from which
to choose. Naturally, you'd also have to create an ISO image of that disc
for use in your new virtual player.

--

Char Jackson

Re: Win 7 Pro SP1 Startup

<s7fqrh$srr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1251&group=alt.windows7.general#1251

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 01:59:13 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 12 May 2021 05:59 UTC

EIEIO wrote:
> Power on or Reset button, takes a minute before I even see a blinking
> disk light. Why so slow ? What is it doing? Numlock is always on after
> boot, why ?
>
> 3.5GHz Intel i5-3570K 8 G RAM.
>

> I tried running Nero 12.2.21048 BlueRay player.
> inserted disk and Explorer recognized disk and gave it a proper volume
> name and I see files.
> Nero hangs up requiring a boot to recover.

Do you ever checked the SMART status of your storage drives ?

The BIOS will wait up to 35 seconds, for devices to become
ready, then a device would be ignored for the purposes of
being considered as a startup device. There was some
Hitachi? drive that came close, like maybe 28 seconds
for the drive to become ready (a pig). The 35 seconds was in
some spec somewhere, as a target for the disk makers
to meet. Many drives handily beat that figure, and are
ready to respond to an ID check when power is applied.
Around five to ten seconds or so. The 28 second drive,
was an anomalously bad design.

My test procedure would be to disconnect all SATA cabling
from the drive(s), then test floppy or USB stick boot.
For example, memtest is available. Downloads are half-way
down the page.

http://www.memtest.org/

Since NVMe storage drives "don't spin", there is less
incentive to be poking at them. One possible state for
those is total brickage, and I don't think the BIOS
has a good excuse to sit there for 35 seconds hoping
that will change. But for the spinning devices, it's
willing to wait.

Some BIOS, you can actually adjust that timer, and
crank it from 35 seconds max to 10 second max. But that
doesn't change anything in a useful way for the user,
so there's no reason to be fiddling with that. If a
machine is slow, it's sick, and the sick part needs
to be identified and thrown in the junk heap.