From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client with Linux
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:30:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:30 UTC

Maybe it will work. I've ordered a $30 Wyse thin client (5060) of eBay just
to see if it actually will run Linux. It comes with 8 GBs of RAM and a 64 GB
SSD and, supposedly, it will even run Windows 10. (Not that I'll be putting
Windows 10 on it.)

I spent a little time last night trying to figure out if there was a good
light Linux to use on it — some have used Lubuntu, so I tried it on a live
USB. It looked good, seemed "snappy" but when I was testing some of the
changes I make in Firefox I found I had to go into a configuration file just
to get rid of the Title Bar — since, for some reason, they disable it in
Firefox's customization. And then, when I tried to make the changes I like
using a userChrome.css file, I found that, since Lubuntu uses a snap for
Firefox, the profile wasn't easily accessible (at least not to me). There
were a couple other small issues and that was the end for Lubuntu.

Then I tried Linux Lite. I'm guessing Linux Lite and distributions like it
might be the reason people say Linux "doesn't work." I had menus freeze up
or I would get half the menu (the half I didn't need) — so I didn't spend a
lot of time with it.

Since Linux Lite used Xfce anyhow, I then downloaded Linux Mint Xfce and, as
usual, I found Linux Mint's standard high quality. I was able to do all my
customizations (lost as soon as I shut down the machine), installed the
applications I plan to use on the Wyse terminal and was happy with the
results. Now to see how it works on a low spec thin client. (Even lower
specs than my normal machines.)

The Wyse 5060 uses an AMD GX-424CC 2.4GHz Quad-Core CPU and a separate GPU
(Radeon R5E Graphics). It has two SODIMM SIM slots (low voltage), a SATA
slot (limited access to it, however, so you would have to either break the
SSD to get the guts out of its 2.5" shell (a "DOM?"), or use and extender
cable with it), six USB slots, a headphone (speaker/mic) jack, two Display
Ports, a GB Ethernet port and six USB slots (two are 3.0). It's the same
size as my Optiplex 9030m and about the same age, (so it looks similar
inside). It has a big heat sync (no fan, so it will be silent). It also has
an M.2 slot where I could put in a WiFi/Blue Tooth card (if I wanted to).

Sorry to ramble. Looking forward to experimenting with it. If it doesn't
work out as a computer, I'll just install No Machine on it and use as a
"thin (VDI?) client." It should work well for that.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."

Re: Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client with Linux

<utk8an$30e7n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12436&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12436

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client with Linux
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:32:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:32 UTC

On 2024-03-22, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe it will work. I've ordered a $30 Wyse thin client (5060) of eBay just
> to see if it actually will run Linux. It comes with 8 GBs of RAM and a 64 GB
> SSD and, supposedly, it will even run Windows 10. (Not that I'll be putting
> Windows 10 on it.)
>
> I spent a little time last night trying to figure out if there was a good
> light Linux to use on it — some have used Lubuntu, so I tried it on a live
> USB. It looked good, seemed "snappy" but when I was testing some of the
> changes I make in Firefox I found I had to go into a configuration file just
> to get rid of the Title Bar — since, for some reason, they disable it in
> Firefox's customization. And then, when I tried to make the changes I like
> using a userChrome.css file, I found that, since Lubuntu uses a snap for
> Firefox, the profile wasn't easily accessible (at least not to me). There
> were a couple other small issues and that was the end for Lubuntu.
>
> Then I tried Linux Lite. I'm guessing Linux Lite and distributions like it
> might be the reason people say Linux "doesn't work." I had menus freeze up
> or I would get half the menu (the half I didn't need) — so I didn't spend a
> lot of time with it.
>
> Since Linux Lite used Xfce anyhow, I then downloaded Linux Mint Xfce and, as
> usual, I found Linux Mint's standard high quality. I was able to do all my
> customizations (lost as soon as I shut down the machine), installed the
> applications I plan to use on the Wyse terminal and was happy with the
> results. Now to see how it works on a low spec thin client. (Even lower
> specs than my normal machines.)
>
> The Wyse 5060 uses an AMD GX-424CC 2.4GHz Quad-Core CPU and a separate GPU
> (Radeon R5E Graphics). It has two SODIMM SIM slots (low voltage), a SATA
> slot (limited access to it, however, so you would have to either break the
> SSD to get the guts out of its 2.5" shell (a "DOM?"), or use and extender
> cable with it), six USB slots, a headphone (speaker/mic) jack, two Display
> Ports, a GB Ethernet port and six USB slots (two are 3.0). It's the same
> size as my Optiplex 9030m and about the same age, (so it looks similar
> inside). It has a big heat sync (no fan, so it will be silent). It also has
> an M.2 slot where I could put in a WiFi/Blue Tooth card (if I wanted to).
>
> Sorry to ramble. Looking forward to experimenting with it. If it doesn't
> work out as a computer, I'll just install No Machine on it and use as a
> "thin (VDI?) client." It should work well for that.

I meant to post the link...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404844862714

This one comes with the power supply.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."
"It was pride that changed angels into devils..." — St. Augustine

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client with Linux