From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: The Halting problem is an incorrect question
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:43:50 -0600
 by: olcott - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 17:43 UTC

The halting problem <is> a self-contradictory thus incorrect question
when posed to termination analyzer H with input D.

When posed to termination analyzer H1 with input D the question has a
different meaning thus is a different question.

Linguistics understands that the same word-for-word question can
have an entirely different meaning based on the linguistic
context of who is asked.

As a concrete example the question:
"Are you a little girl?"
has different correct answers depending on who is asked.

H and H1 and D are shown in this source-code
https://github.com/plolcott/x86utm/blob/master/Halt7.c

===

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: The Halting problem is an incorrect question

<um9s6f$2lm12$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12242&group=comp.ai.philosophy#12242

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: Re: The Halting problem is an incorrect question
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:10:23 -0600
 by: olcott - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:10 UTC

On 12/24/2023 11:43 AM, olcott wrote:
> The halting problem <is> a self-contradictory thus incorrect question
> when posed to termination analyzer H with input D.
>
> When posed to termination analyzer H1 with input D the question has a
> different meaning thus is a different question.
>
> Linguistics understands that the same word-for-word question can
> have an entirely different meaning based on the linguistic
> context of who is asked.
>
> As a concrete example the question:
> "Are you a little girl?"
> has different correct answers depending on who is asked.
>
> H and H1 and D are shown in this source-code
> https://github.com/plolcott/x86utm/blob/master/Halt7.c

According to the conventional understanding of the halting problem
when the above H is asked:
Does the direct execution of D(D) halt on its input?
both Yes and No are the wrong answer because D was
intentionally defined to do the opposite of whatever H says.

That the halting problem is defined to allow self-contradictory
inputs does not actually place any limit on computation.

The inability to correctly answer self-contradictory (thus
incorrect) questions does not place any actual limit on anyone
of anything.

If I ask you: What time it is (yes or no)?
We cannot correctly conclude that you are stupid or ignorant on
the basis that you cannot correctly answer this incorrect question.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius