Are you having fun yet?

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?

SubjectAuthor
* Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?vjp2.at
+* Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?Marco Moock
|`- Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?Grant Taylor
+* Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?Grant Taylor
|`- Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?29V.X746
+- Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?Nuno Silva
`- Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood

1
Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?

<tvcvug$jm5$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12035&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12035

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:18:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:18 UTC

Maybe I've been barking up the wrong tree. On my old dos+xp+quantian
config almost a decade ago, I installed Quantian first then moved everything
over to put MSDOS in the zero sector. Now I have MSDOS there. Looking at
some of the similar cases online I am wondering if this is the problem? If
so, how fix? Something about redefining where everything is to knoppix?

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?

<tvd1tv$7u0f$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12036&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12036

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:52:31 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:52 UTC

Am 21.03.2023 um 19:18:40 Uhr schrieb
vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com:

> Maybe I've been barking up the wrong tree. On my old
> dos+xp+quantian config almost a decade ago, I installed Quantian
> first then moved everything over to put MSDOS in the zero sector.
> Now I have MSDOS there. Looking at some of the similar cases online
> I am wondering if this is the problem? If so, how fix? Something
> about redefining where everything is to knoppix?

Please provide more information about your Linux installation.
Which partition does it mount?
Is it possible to mount it in the Live system?

Normally, DOS/Windows doesn't touch other partitions unless you use
some sort of partitioning software.

Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?

<tvd7v4$ghk$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12038&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12038

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:35:17 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 21:35 UTC

On 3/21/23 1:18 PM, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> Maybe I've been barking up the wrong tree.
What problem(s) have you been barking at?

> On my old dos+xp+quantian config almost a decade ago, I installed
> Quantian first then moved everything over to put MSDOS in the zero
> sector. Now I have MSDOS there. Looking at some of the similar
> cases online I am wondering if this is the problem?

I'm not familiar with Quantian. I'm assuming that it's a Linux
distribution, lest why would you be posting to a Linux newsgroup?

The only thing that comes to mind is the size of the partition(s) and
where they are located on the drive. Specifically in accordance with
some fairly old issues related to booting partitions that pass the 8 GB
(?) boundary. If you're contained within that, I don't think you'll
have a problem.

There's also the fact that it sounds like you've been running this
without any problem for years. So....

> If so, how fix?

Start by clearly describing the problem that you're working on.

> Something about redefining where everything is to knoppix?

I'm not yet hearing anything that needs fixing.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?

<tvd88o$ecl$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12039&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12039

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:40:24 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 21:40 UTC

On 3/21/23 1:52 PM, Marco Moock wrote:
> Normally, DOS/Windows doesn't touch other partitions unless you use
> some sort of partitioning software.

I've got first hand experience, and have heard multiple first hand (thus
second hand to me) and second hand (thus third hand to me) stories to
the contrary.

My, repeated, first hand experience has been that (at least) Windows XP
would remove the active status from all but the boot partition / drive.

This becomes problematic when you take the boot drive from another
computer and hook it up as a secondary drive to copy data, move the
drive back to the original computer, and try to boot the original computer.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?

<JR6cnW1mUuGcG4f5nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12040&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12040

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 29V.X746@noqb1u.net (29V.X746)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 00:37:20 -0400
 by: 29V.X746 - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 04:37 UTC

On 3/21/23 5:35 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 3/21/23 1:18 PM, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>> Maybe I've been barking up the wrong tree.
> What problem(s) have you been barking at?
>
>> On my old dos+xp+quantian config almost a decade ago, I installed
>> Quantian first then moved everything over to put MSDOS in the zero
>> sector.  Now I have MSDOS there.  Looking at some of the similar cases
>> online I am wondering if this is the problem?
>
> I'm not familiar with Quantian.  I'm assuming that it's a Linux
> distribution, lest why would you be posting to a Linux newsgroup?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantian

Quantian was a re-mastered olde-tyme Knoppix that had a
whole bunch of math/stat software and utilities added.
The poster wants it to be a bootable partition.

I've strongly suggested using VirtualBox. or maybe KVM,
and running it as a VM instead. VB *can* boot a raw
ISO ... that's kinda how it handles things like Slitaz.

Knoppix was never really intended to be "installed" per-se,
just booted as a live distro from a CD. Some of the older
versions COULD be installed on their own partition, but
they didn't like it.

> The only thing that comes to mind is the size of the partition(s) and
> where they are located on the drive.  Specifically in accordance with
> some fairly old issues related to booting partitions that pass the 8 GB
> (?) boundary.  If you're contained within that, I don't think you'll
> have a problem.
>
> There's also the fact that it sounds like you've been running this
> without any problem for years.  So....
>
>> If so, how fix?
>
> Start by clearly describing the problem that you're working on.
>
>> Something about redefining where everything is to knoppix?
>
> I'm not yet hearing anything that needs fixing.

Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?

<tvebtd$hjfi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12041&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12041

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 07:49:00 +0000
 by: Nuno Silva - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 07:49 UTC

On 2023-03-21, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> Maybe I've been barking up the wrong tree. On my old dos+xp+quantian
> config almost a decade ago, I installed Quantian first then moved everything
> over to put MSDOS in the zero sector. Now I have MSDOS there. Looking at
> some of the similar cases online I am wondering if this is the problem? If
> so, how fix? Something about redefining where everything is to knoppix?

Can you show us the kernel panic message and preceding messages, if
those are shown? Say, by taking a photo and then transcribing the error
messages?

(And, if possible, also include in the same post what system and what
version you were trying to boot; in Knoppix's case, please include the
boot parameters/options you've specified too.)

--
Nuno Silva

Re: Does MSDOS mbr cause kernel panic rootfs sync?

<1dregj-ng1.ln1@jefferson.foo>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12232&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12232

From: phaywood@alphalink.com.au (Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:57:21 +1000
 by: Peter 'Shaggy&# - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 01:57 UTC

Sorry for the lateness of this followup! I've had a bit of a problem
downloading Usenet articles lately, but that's solved now (I hope).

Groovy hepcat vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com was jivin' in
comp.os.linux.misc on Wed, 22 Mar 2023 06:18 am. It's a cool scene! Dig
it.

> Maybe I've been barking up the wrong tree. On my old
> dos+xp+quantian
> config almost a decade ago,

A decade ago? And you're just getting around to asking about it now?

> I installed Quantian first

Ah, well there's your problem! You would've had better results
installing the MS based system(s) first. Whenever I'm installing
DOS/Losedows alongside Linux/Minix/*BSD, I always install the former
first. The system that comes with grub (my preferred boot loader) is
installed last, so that grub can take control of the MBR.

> then moved
> everything
> over to put MSDOS in the zero sector. Now I have MSDOS there.

I don't know what you mean by that. It's not very clear, I'm afraid.
What did you move? Where did you move it? And just where did you put
DOS? I don't understand.
Perhaps if you give us an indication of the layout of the partitions
on your HDD, it might help us understand what's going on.
But if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say you can't boot your Linux
system because the DOS/Losedows installations have overwritten the boot
loader with their own. Presumably you installed grub (or whichever boot
loader Quantian uses by default) to the MBR, and the subsequent
installation of DOS/Losedows has overwritten this with the MS boot
loader.

> Looking at
> some of the similar cases online I am wondering if this is the
> problem? If so, how fix? Something about redefining where everything
> is to knoppix?

You haven't actually stated the problem. But if it is as I have
surmised above, then the solution is fairly straight forward. Run a
rescue Linux system. This can even be the original Quantian disc you
installed from in the first place. There should be an option to
(re)install the boot loader. If not, there will certainly be an option
to run a shell. You can then mount your Quantian root file system, bind
mount the /dev filesystem beneath it (so you have access to devices -
specifically the HDD), then chroot to Quantian's root file system. Then
you can use commands to reinstall the boot loader. If you don't know
how to do all of these things, instructions can be easily found by
searching on Duck Duck Go or Google.

--

----- Dig the NEW and IMPROVED news sig!! -----

Ain't I'm a dawg!!