I just thought of something funny...your mother. -- Cheech Marin

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Reactos, drivers, boot menu

SubjectAuthor
* Reactos, drivers, boot menuvjp2.at
+* Re: Reactos, drivers, boot menuBobbie Sellers
|`- Re: Reactos, drivers, boot menu26B.X929
+- Re: Reactos, drivers, boot menuKirk_Rockstein
`- Re: Reactos, drivers, boot menuAnssi Saari

1
Reactos, drivers, boot menu

<u1131i$h2a$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12225&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12225

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Reactos, drivers, boot menu
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 13:30:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 13:30 UTC

CAE Linux (and Win7) got all the right drivers, but Reactos (and XP) did not.
Is there a way to do this better? I got reactos from sourceforge, so it
should be up to date ie Reactos doesn't have wifi, CAELinux does (yes I
reinstalled without the partitions, whose intallation seems to have killed
CAEL's wifi)

Also, I overwrote Reactos over Xp (over W7) and the MS boot menu still lists
XP as an option, but of course, it's not there. Then CAE Linux (ubunto) puts
the three MS Options (MSDOS, Reactos, XP) in a submenu called XP. I looked
at the various grub2 files and they are not as simple as Grub1 Is there a way
to make this easier, less error prone?

Here is my old grub.cfg from dos-xp-quantian
Can it be this simple now?

# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
default 1
timeout 177
color cyan/blue white/blue
#Quantian bootable partition config begins
title Quantian on (/dev/sda6)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 ro ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot
# QUANTIAN bootable partition config ends
# XP bootable partition config begins
title XP on (/dev/sda1)
unhide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,1)
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
# Win XP bootable partition config ends
# DOS is in front of XP but was installed later so has a higher SDA number
# DOS bootable partition config begins
title DOS on (/dev/sda2)
hide (hd0,0)
unhide (hd0,1)
root (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1
# DOS bootable partition config ends

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Reactos, drivers, boot menu

<u118pu$27c9g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12227&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12227

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Reactos, drivers, boot menu
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 08:08:46 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 15:08 UTC

On 4/10/23 06:30, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> CAE Linux (and Win7) got all the right drivers, but Reactos (and XP) did not.
> Is there a way to do this better? I got reactos from sourceforge, so it
> should be up to date ie Reactos doesn't have wifi, CAELinux does (yes I
> reinstalled without the partitions, whose intallation seems to have killed
> CAEL's wifi)
>

> Also, I overwrote Reactos over Xp (over W7) and the MS boot menu still lists
> XP as an option, but of course, it's not there. Then CAE Linux (ubunto) puts
> the three MS Options (MSDOS, Reactos, XP) in a submenu called XP. I looked
> at the various grub2 files and they are not as simple as Grub1 Is there a way
> to make this easier, less error prone?
>
> Here is my old grub.cfg from dos-xp-quantian
> Can it be this simple now?
>

> # menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
> ## default num
> # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
> # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
> default 1
> timeout 177
> color cyan/blue white/blue
> #Quantian bootable partition config begins
> title Quantian on (/dev/sda6)
> root (hd0,5)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 ro ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet vga=791
> initrd /boot/initrd.img
> savedefault
> boot
> # QUANTIAN bootable partition config ends
> # XP bootable partition config begins
> title XP on (/dev/sda1)
> unhide (hd0,0)
> hide (hd0,1)
> root (hd0,0)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> # Win XP bootable partition config ends
> # DOS is in front of XP but was installed later so has a higher SDA number
> # DOS bootable partition config begins
> title DOS on (/dev/sda2)
> hide (hd0,0)
> unhide (hd0,1)
> root (hd0,1)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> # DOS bootable partition config ends

How many times do we have to say, "Use a virtural machine like
VirtualBox and run a solid Linux or even that icky MS-OS."
Living in the past sounds attractive but using a old Linux, an obsolete
MS-OS or two is not going to be easy.

bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Reactos, drivers, boot menu

<k9iqciFl1k1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12230&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12230

From: Kirk_Rockstein@nowhere.invalid (Kirk_Rockstein)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 10 Apr 2023 16:04:35 GMT
 by: Kirk_Rockstein - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 16:04 UTC

On 2023-04-10, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com <vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com> wrote:
> CAE Linux (and Win7) got all the right drivers, but Reactos (and XP) did not.
> Is there a way to do this better? I got reactos from sourceforge, so it
> should be up to date ie Reactos doesn't have wifi, CAELinux does (yes I
> reinstalled without the partitions, whose intallation seems to have killed
> CAEL's wifi)
>

> Also, I overwrote Reactos over Xp (over W7) and the MS boot menu still lists
> XP as an option, but of course, it's not there. Then CAE Linux (ubunto) puts
> the three MS Options (MSDOS, Reactos, XP) in a submenu called XP. I looked
> at the various grub2 files and they are not as simple as Grub1 Is there a way
> to make this easier, less error prone?
>
> Here is my old grub.cfg from dos-xp-quantian
> Can it be this simple now?
>

> # menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
> ## default num
> # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
> # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
> default 1
> timeout 177
> color cyan/blue white/blue
> #Quantian bootable partition config begins
> title Quantian on (/dev/sda6)
> root (hd0,5)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 ro ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet vga=791
> initrd /boot/initrd.img
> savedefault
> boot
> # QUANTIAN bootable partition config ends
> # XP bootable partition config begins
> title XP on (/dev/sda1)
> unhide (hd0,0)
> hide (hd0,1)
> root (hd0,0)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> # Win XP bootable partition config ends
> # DOS is in front of XP but was installed later so has a higher SDA number
> # DOS bootable partition config begins
> title DOS on (/dev/sda2)
> hide (hd0,0)
> unhide (hd0,1)
> root (hd0,1)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> # DOS bootable partition config ends

Post your current grub.cfg file,
and the output from fdisk -l run from a console/term (linux not other)
sudo fdisk -l
or just:
fdisk -l
from root terminal/console on said laptop.

Re: Reactos, drivers, boot menu

<sm0h6tmkgpg.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12231&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12231

From: as@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 10:42:35 +0300
sha1:hw3Q6UfZ1J2+XQUzKWHqLs5zb6k=
 by: Anssi Saari - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 07:42 UTC

vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com writes:

> Here is my old grub.cfg from dos-xp-quantian
> Can it be this simple now?

With a very quick look I think it might work in Grub2 with some minor
changes. For example, replace title with menuentry and put the commands
in braces. kernel, initrd, root, chainloader would probably work as
is. The hide/unhide I think is different, there's a command called
parttool which does both hiding and unhiding.

I didn't look but I guess there might be converters for grub1 to grub2?

For easy testing of the Grub config there's a handy Grub emulator called
grub-emu.

Re: Reactos, drivers, boot menu

<yKecnXiocM9U-Kr5nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12247&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12247

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 26BX929@zoq22u.net (26B.X929)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 22:15:36 -0400
 by: 26B.X929 - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 02:15 UTC

On 4/10/23 11:08 AM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 4/10/23 06:30, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>> CAE Linux (and Win7) got all the right drivers, but Reactos (and XP)
>> did not.
>> Is there a way to do this better?  I got reactos from sourceforge, so it
>> should be up to date ie Reactos doesn't have wifi, CAELinux does (yes I
>> reinstalled without the partitions, whose intallation seems to have
>> killed
>> CAEL's wifi)
>>

>> Also, I overwrote Reactos over Xp (over W7) and the MS boot menu still
>> lists
>> XP as an option, but of course, it's not there.  Then CAE Linux
>> (ubunto) puts
>> the three MS Options (MSDOS, Reactos, XP) in a submenu called XP.  I
>> looked
>> at the various grub2 files and they are not as simple as Grub1 Is
>> there a way
>> to make this easier, less error prone?
>>
>> Here is my old grub.cfg from dos-xp-quantian
>> Can it be this simple now?
>>

>> # menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
>> ## default num
>> # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from
>> 0, and
>> # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
>> default        1
>> timeout        177
>> color cyan/blue white/blue
>> #Quantian bootable partition config begins
>>     title Quantian on (/dev/sda6)
>>     root    (hd0,5)
>>     kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 ro ramdisk_size=100000
>> init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet vga=791
>>     initrd /boot/initrd.img
>>     savedefault
>>     boot
>> # QUANTIAN bootable partition config ends
>> # XP bootable partition config begins
>>    title XP on (/dev/sda1)
>>    unhide (hd0,0)
>>    hide (hd0,1)
>>    root (hd0,0)
>>    makeactive
>>    chainloader +1
>> # Win XP bootable partition config ends
>> # DOS is in front of XP but was installed later so has a higher SDA
>> number
>> # DOS bootable partition config begins
>>    title DOS on (/dev/sda2)
>>    hide (hd0,0)
>>    unhide (hd0,1)
>>    root (hd0,1)
>>    makeactive
>>    chainloader +1
>> # DOS bootable partition config ends
>>

>     How many times do we have to say, "Use a virtural machine like
> VirtualBox and run a solid Linux or even that icky MS-OS."
> Living in the past sounds attractive but using a old Linux, an obsolete
> MS-OS or two is not going to be easy.

Agreed !

I've come to agree with some others that this guy
really IS some kind of subtle troll - too much
"weird" stuff. If he wants REACT-OS, run it in
VirtualBox.