It is now pitch dark. If you proceed, you will likely fall into a pit.

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: Write protect a partition

SubjectAuthor
* Write protect a partitionvjp2.at
+* Re: Write protect a partitionRich
|+* Re: Write protect a partitionAndreas Kohlbach
||`- Re: Write protect a partitionmarrgol
|`- Re: Write protect a partition22T.R732
+* Re: Write protect a partitionDavid W. Hodgins
|`- Re: Write protect a partitionRichmond
+* Re: Write protect a partitionThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: Write protect a partitionComputer Nerd Kev
| `- Re: Write protect a partitionCarlos E.R.
+* Re: Write protect a partitionvjp2.at
|`* Re: Write protect a partitionRich
| `* Re: Write protect a partition26B.X919
|  `* Re: Write protect a partitionRich
|   `* Re: Write protect a partition26B.X919
|    `* Re: Write protect a partitionRich
|     +* Re: Write protect a partitionDavid W. Hodgins
|     |+* Re: Write protect a partitionDavid W. Hodgins
|     ||`- Re: Write protect a partitionRich
|     |`* Re: Write protect a partitionRich
|     | +* Re: Write protect a partitionRichmond
|     | |`* Re: Write protect a partitionRich
|     | | `- Re: Write protect a partition26B.X929
|     | `- Re: Write protect a partitionCharlie Gibbs
|     `* Re: Write protect a partitionComputer Nerd Kev
|      `- Re: Write protect a partitionRich
`- Re: Write protect a partitionvjp2.at

Pages:12
Re: Write protect a partition

<TpkYL.1964784$iU59.1222818@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12219&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12219

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Subject: Re: Write protect a partition
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 20:47:47 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 20:47 UTC

On 2023-04-08, Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:

> David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 07 Apr 2023 22:06:15 -0400, Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft OS'es have always been unfriendly to non-MS filesystems.
>>> Usually offering up a dialog of the form of: "Disk E: is damaged, would
>>> you like to reformat: Yes / No"

The same is true of Apple. I remember inserting an MS-DOS floppy
into a classic Mac and getting the same sort of message.

>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-now-lets-you-mount-linux-ext4-filesystems-in-wsl-2/
>
> Ah, so their 'unfriendlyness' was lowered with W10. Worth knowing.

I get nervous when certain people or organizations suddenly start
getting friendly.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | You can't save the earth
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | unless you're willing to

Re: Write protect a partition

<dbecnT7x-YKtw675nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12223&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12223

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 26BX929@zoq22u.net (26B.X929)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 20:54:07 -0400
 by: 26B.X929 - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 00:54 UTC

On 4/8/23 9:29 AM, Rich wrote:
> Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> wrote:
>> Rich <rich@example.invalid> writes:

>>> Ah, so their 'unfriendlyness' was lowered with W10. Worth knowing.
>>
>> What if you ran linux in a virtual machine on windows, and then shared
>> files via Samba? I read it is possible to access physical drives with
>> virtual box.
>
> You can do that, but then you have Virtual box moderating the disk
> accesses (if you use VB's native method) or you have Samba moderating
> the disk accesses (if you use Samba). But up until, it seems, W10
> windows provided no 'out-of-the-box' access to any Linux filesystems.
> You needed some 'moderator' in between (VB/Samba) or you needed to
> install third party utilities/drivers.

Yes, you CAN share files from a VM using Samba/SMB.
Works just fine, and no slower than accessing SMB
shares from yer NAS. Sometimes the biggest chore is
getting VBox to set the desired IP on your virtual NIC.
Had an "emergency" mail server running like that for
a couple of years.

Doing it via Samba gives you finer control over what
gets shared to whom and how.

There's also the VBox "shared folder" thing. That's an
unfiltered bridge between the systems however, less
secure. I'd have to check, you MAY be able to make
those read-only.

> And with the OP, all of everyone's suggestion to use Virtual Box to
> accomplish what appeared to be his initial request from the vague post
> fell on deaf ears, so there is no suggestion that the OP installed
> Virtual Box in any way.

Do not think he went that way ... despite urging. He was
fixated on a dual-boot setup.

> The OP also never asked about Samba -- so while he may have gone that
> route and not told us about it, we also have no knowledge that this was
> the way he went.
>
> His post of 'success' heavily implied that he magically got Win XP to
> access Linux filesystems without any additional help. But he left
> enough detail off to create a huge possibility of miss-interpretation
> as well.

Well, there's almost no hope of reading an ext(n) file
system with XP. It did get a little easier with Win10
and I think Win11 is a tad smoother, but I've never
actually DONE it.

What he CLAIMS to have done does not seem real. Of course
after all the fiddling-around he was doing who knows
WHAT sort of horrible hybrid he wound up with. If it works
FOR HIM, then fine I suppose ....