From: ehj46PkBWfBAng9C@VW28LtWn6wknpUMV.invalid (5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Subject: Re: Which providers and indexers cannot be mentioned in r/Usenet?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 14:28:58 +0800
 by: 5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 06:28 UTC

Hi, sorry for butting in.

"('', )" <keithjamesbarron@gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday, 4 December 2020 at 18:16:53 UTC, dunno wrote:
>> I know if you mention some indexers or Usenet provider in r/Usenet
>> the message will be automatically removed by moderator bot. Since
>> we’re not moderated over here I was wondering if anyone can tell me
>> about them. I’m more interested in banned Usenet providers. Allegedly
>> they are using “backdoored” access to the Usenet.
>
> It's a fair question, r/usenet isn't a forum for questions anymore
> so-much as a searchable archive of curated content. The mods are
> quick to remove any posts breech of their rules -
> https://snew.notabug.io/r/usenet I know Speedium is one of the
> providers they have banned from being discussed.

I find Reddit, in general, to be a not-so-good way of having discussions
and Q&A's online. It has reach since everyone and their grandma knows
Reddit now but man every sufficiently large communities are heavily
polarized towards a certain bias and heavy moderated.

I used to follow this one regional subreddit before for years and I
basically saw it gradually shift towards increasingly radical views. I
feel like I was in looneytown at one point and any dissenting opinion
are downvoted to oblivion. There's only one voice and that's the voice
of the "mass".

So yeah, it's a long way of saying that Reddit's "upvote" system coupled
with heavy moderation really created a conducive environment for echo
chambers to form. At least with unmoderated USENET, the moderation is up
to the user and while that is a bit of work, it doesn't prevent
alternative viewpoints to show up and be discussed.

--
Pointless meanderings in a bleak and lonely world.

Re: Which providers and indexers cannot be mentioned in r/Usenet?

<njQSK.332576$6Il8.305660@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=141&group=alt.fan.usenet#141

Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
From: email@example.com (meff)
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 23:50:43 GMT
 by: meff - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 23:50 UTC

On 2022-09-01, 5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD <ehj46PkBWfBAng9C@VW28LtWn6wknpUMV.invalid> wrote:
> So yeah, it's a long way of saying that Reddit's "upvote" system coupled
> with heavy moderation really created a conducive environment for echo
> chambers to form. At least with unmoderated USENET, the moderation is up
> to the user and while that is a bit of work, it doesn't prevent
> alternative viewpoints to show up and be discussed.

I've found this to be a general trend in upvote-dynamic based
sites. It's prominent on Reddit, but certainly not the only place.

Re: Which providers and indexers cannot be mentioned in r/Usenet?

<87h71ggfsz.fsf@sjc.flh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=142&group=alt.fan.usenet#142

From: ehj46PkBWfBAng9C@VW28LtWn6wknpUMV.invalid (5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 09:48:44 +0800
 by: 5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 01:48 UTC

meff <email@example.com> writes:

> On 2022-09-01, 5GyYap52yQ1UGMWD <ehj46PkBWfBAng9C@VW28LtWn6wknpUMV.invalid> wrote:
>> So yeah, it's a long way of saying that Reddit's "upvote" system coupled
>> with heavy moderation really created a conducive environment for echo
>> chambers to form. At least with unmoderated USENET, the moderation is up
>> to the user and while that is a bit of work, it doesn't prevent
>> alternative viewpoints to show up and be discussed.
>
> I've found this to be a general trend in upvote-dynamic based
> sites. It's prominent on Reddit, but certainly not the only place.

Yeah. I agree. I just highlighted Reddit since it's the most popular of
those "upvote" sites. But certainly Hacker News and the likes do have a
similar problem.

--
Pointless meanderings in a bleak and lonely world.

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: Which providers and indexers cannot be mentioned in r/Usenet?