In computing, the mean time to failure keeps getting shorter.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Fixing FF pdf file download.

SubjectAuthor
* Fixing FF pdf file download.micky
+* Fixing FF pdf file download.Wilf
|+- Fixing FF pdf file download.micky
|`- Fixing FF pdf file download.Adam H. Kerman
`- Fixing FF pdf file download.micky

1
Fixing FF pdf file download.

<ra1eiit93dna22iisrk3dpv7qd27pbm95v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1219&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1219

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Fixing FF pdf file download.
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 16:38:01 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 20:38 UTC

In the last 2 or 3 weeks when I click on a link that is a pdf file,
instead of opening the file in Firefox, it downloads it, then I have to
click from the dowload dropdown to see it.

This leaves every file in my download directory, even if I only wanted
to see it once, and a tab with nothing showing that I have to remember
to delete.

Is there a way around this?

It used to be perfect.

Is there a good way to make suggestions or complaints to Firefox?

AIUI, it's written by volunteers. That made sense for a year or two but
have the same people been working on it for 15 years, without any pay or
other reward other than a feeling of accomplishment? Hmmm. I read that
mozilla has a more than a billion in cash reserves, and that google has
paid mozilla in the last 18 years a total? of 450 million. I have no
objection to that, but it confuses my question about working for free.

Re: Fixing FF pdf file download.

<ug73td$32dj$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1220&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1220

From: wilf21@is.invalid (Wilf)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Fixing FF pdf file download.
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 22:26:05 +0100
 by: Wilf - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:26 UTC

On 11/10/2023 at 21:38, micky wrote:
> In the last 2 or 3 weeks when I click on a link that is a pdf file,
> instead of opening the file in Firefox, it downloads it, then I have to
> click from the dowload dropdown to see it.
>
> This leaves every file in my download directory, even if I only wanted
> to see it once, and a tab with nothing showing that I have to remember
> to delete.
>
> Is there a way around this?
>
> It used to be perfect.

Try this. In settings, scroll down to applications and make sure that
pdf file types are set to open with a specific program or the windows
default.

They still get saved in the downloads folder, though, and have done back
for many versions now.
--
Wilf

Re: Fixing FF pdf file download.

<0n4eii1611c059hsvkg4ip3scertq86uvo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1221&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1221

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 17:30:17 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:30 UTC

Never mind how to solve the problem. I had looked in Settings in
Downloads, and thought there was nothing there, but just now looked
farther and found that the application setting for pdf was Save File. I
don't when or how that happened. I think auto-updating FF did it,
because I don't recall ever changing anything in that box, and it's not
changed in the laptop.

But questions about if FF programmers get paid, etc. remain, at ****.

*******
>AIUI, it's written by volunteers. That made sense for a year or two but
>have the same people been working on it for 15 years, without any pay or
>other reward other than a feeling of accomplishment? Hmmm. I read that
>mozilla has a more than a billion in cash reserves, and that google has
>paid mozilla in the last 18 years a total? of 450 million. I have no
>objection to that, but it confuses my question about working for free.

Re: Fixing FF pdf file download.

<j05eiil3tejgpnul1n6k4tse4hjnmr233p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1222&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1222

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 17:32:28 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:32 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Wed, 11 Oct 2023 22:26:05 +0100, Wilf
<wilf21@is.invalid> wrote:

>On 11/10/2023 at 21:38, micky wrote:
>> In the last 2 or 3 weeks when I click on a link that is a pdf file,
>> instead of opening the file in Firefox, it downloads it, then I have to
>> click from the dowload dropdown to see it.
>>
>> This leaves every file in my download directory, even if I only wanted
>> to see it once, and a tab with nothing showing that I have to remember
>> to delete.
>>
>> Is there a way around this?
>>
>> It used to be perfect.
>>

>Try this. In settings, scroll down to applications and make sure that
>pdf file types are set to open with a specific program or the windows
>default.

Thanks for the quick response. I tried to follow-up first but you beat
me.

>They still get saved in the downloads folder, though, and have done back
>for many versions now.

Wow, I don't remember that. I always specifically save the ones I want.
I'll see first hand soon.

Re: Fixing FF pdf file download.

<ug7fkr$2459f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1223&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1223

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 00:46:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 00:46 UTC

Wilf <wilf21@is.invalid> wrote:
>On 11/10/2023 at 21:38, micky wrote:

>>In the last 2 or 3 weeks when I click on a link that is a pdf file,
>>instead of opening the file in Firefox, it downloads it, then I have to
>>click from the dowload dropdown to see it.

>>This leaves every file in my download directory, even if I only wanted
>>to see it once, and a tab with nothing showing that I have to remember
>>to delete.

>>Is there a way around this?

>>It used to be perfect.

>Try this. In settings, scroll down to applications and make sure that
>pdf file types are set to open with a specific program or the windows
>default.

>They still get saved in the downloads folder, though, and have done back
>for many versions now.

Choose about:preferences > General > Files and Applications > Always ask
where to save files

In Applications, I leave PDFs set to Save File.

I do this to avoid the download into the temporary directory. The PDF
has to be downloaded somewhere to be opened with some application.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Fixing FF pdf file download.