From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Back From the Dead
Date: 18 Mar 2024 18:40:59 GMT
 by: rbowman - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 18:40 UTC

I guess it's a form of spring housecleaning but I've been sorting through
old stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC

This was the first project. I have a 4G Surf, aka a 701. It has a massive
4GB SSD and 512 bytes of RAM. The problem I ran into years ago was it only
handled WEP WiFi. Could I do anything with it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q4OS

I installed it with the minimal desktop configuration to stay within the
4GB limit. Unlike the original xandros it can handle WPA2. I'm not saying
it's fantastic but Konqueror comes up and handles web sites as well as it
ever did. I also installed lynx.

After the eeePc experiment ended I moved to a netbook as a very portable
device, specifically a Acer Aspire. It had Windows 7 which sort of ran but
couldn't load VS Code or other modern apps and was slow. It has a .9 GHz
Celery, 4GB of RAM and a 500 GB SSD so it is a little more real than the
eee. It also has a Broadcom WiFi which is problematic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu

Obviously it's no speed demon but it is quite usable with an up to date
distro. There were no problems with the touch pad, buttons, or screen
resolution.

Re: Back From the Dead

<uta2pc$1h78a$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12180&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12180

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Back From the Dead
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 13:56:46 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 18:56 UTC

On 3/18/2024 1:40 PM, rbowman wrote:
> I guess it's a form of spring housecleaning but I've been sorting through
> old stuff.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC
>
> This was the first project. I have a 4G Surf, aka a 701. It has a massive
> 4GB SSD and 512 bytes of RAM. The problem I ran into years ago was it only
> handled WEP WiFi. Could I do anything with it?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q4OS
>
> I installed it with the minimal desktop configuration to stay within the
> 4GB limit. Unlike the original xandros it can handle WPA2. I'm not saying
> it's fantastic but Konqueror comes up and handles web sites as well as it
> ever did. I also installed lynx.
>
> After the eeePc experiment ended I moved to a netbook as a very portable
> device, specifically a Acer Aspire. It had Windows 7 which sort of ran but
> couldn't load VS Code or other modern apps and was slow. It has a .9 GHz
> Celery, 4GB of RAM and a 500 GB SSD so it is a little more real than the
> eee. It also has a Broadcom WiFi which is problematic.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu
>
> Obviously it's no speed demon but it is quite usable with an up to date
> distro. There were no problems with the touch pad, buttons, or screen
> resolution.

Get rid of the OS, install DOS and qBASIC and solve the baby challenge
problems I posted. Spend your time meaningfully :-))

Re: Back From the Dead

<utadjj$d80k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12187&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12187

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 18:01:23 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 22:01 UTC

rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> I guess it's a form of spring housecleaning but I've been sorting through
> old stuff.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC
>
> This was the first project. I have a 4G Surf, aka a 701. It has a massive
> 4GB SSD and 512 bytes of RAM. The problem I ran into years ago was it only
> handled WEP WiFi. Could I do anything with it?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q4OS
>
> I installed it with the minimal desktop configuration to stay within the
> 4GB limit. Unlike the original xandros it can handle WPA2. I'm not saying
> it's fantastic but Konqueror comes up and handles web sites as well as it
> ever did. I also installed lynx.
>
> After the eeePc experiment ended I moved to a netbook as a very portable
> device, specifically a Acer Aspire. It had Windows 7 which sort of ran but
> couldn't load VS Code or other modern apps and was slow. It has a .9 GHz
> Celery, 4GB of RAM and a 500 GB SSD so it is a little more real than the
> eee. It also has a Broadcom WiFi which is problematic.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu
>
> Obviously it's no speed demon but it is quite usable with an up to date
> distro. There were no problems with the touch pad, buttons, or screen
> resolution.

I used an Aspire (single core) at work with Linux on it and it ran
Solidworks in a Windows virtual machine surprisingly well.

--
Q: How many Martians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: One and a half.

Re: Back From the Dead

<l5s02nFpnogU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12190&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12190

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 18 Mar 2024 23:12:23 GMT
 by: rbowman - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 23:12 UTC

On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 18:01:23 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> I used an Aspire (single core) at work with Linux on it and it ran
> Solidworks in a Windows virtual machine surprisingly well.

This is a Core i5 4700UM, 2 cores, 4 threads, 1.3 GHz. I misspoke; the
eeePC is the 900 MHz Celeron. It does okay for a 14 year old processor and
isn't that far behind today's 11" offerings.

https://laptops251.com/best-11-inch-laptops/

No touch screen but I can live without that. The price was right -- a
couple of hours to download the Lubuntu iso and install it. The default
install is lightweight. Installing the Arduino IDE pulled in a lot since
it needs the JRE, gcc, avr-gcc, and a bunch of other stuff.