From: schendel@kbcomputer.com (Karl Schendel)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 10:29:46 -0400
To: "info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org" <info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org>
Cc: Martin Bowes <martin.bowes@ndph.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] The database that isn't there
Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
 by: Karl Schendel - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 14:29 UTC

> On Sep 29, 2021, at 10:09 AM, Martin Bowes <martin.bowes@ndph.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi All
>
> I have a database which is listed in my iidatabase catalog, but it isn’t on the disk system. There is no trace of this database whatsoever under any location.
>
> I could remove it from the catalogs using an sql iidbdb +Y connection.

Right.

> But I was wondering if it was possible to copy the aaaaaaaa.ext from another database , edit it to reflect the database of interest, rebuild a stub config file from that and then hopefully perform the destroydb that we have all come to know and love.

I don't think you can reconstruct an entire .cnf file from an ext file. You can reset the database locations, but
the rest of the cnf file has to be valid. You might be able to copy an existing cnf file AND ext file, and
go from there.

Or, you could do it the easy way with sql +Y iidbdb...

> I ask this as I’m vaguely sure I saw something somewhere that suggested that it was possible to rebuild/edit a config file using the ..ext file.

It used to be an alterdb comment, but I think that got changed to an ii_sync_config() builtin DB procedure.
ii_sync_config(database='dbname', mode=mode, operation='operation')
operation of interest would be 'sync_extents' and possibly 'sync_consistent'
mode appears to be 'run' or 'report'
I'd guess that the sync-config can be run in an iidbdb session but I've never tried it, use at your own risk!

Karl