We are MicroSoft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. (Attributed to B.G., Gill Bates)

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

SubjectAuthor
* Non-Linux posts in COLAvallor
+- Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAJoel
+* Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAFarley Flud
|+* Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAJoel
||`- Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAStéphane CARPENTIER
|`* Re: Non-Linux posts in COLADFS
| `* Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAJoel
|  `* Re: Non-Linux posts in COLADFS
|   `- Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAJoel
+* Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAChris Ahlstrom
|`- Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAPhysfitfreak
`* Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAchrisv
 `* Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAcandycanearter07
  `* Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAfavask
   `- Re: Non-Linux posts in COLAcandycanearter07

1
Non-Linux posts in COLA

<usl0d9$309fg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11755&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11755

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Non-Linux posts in COLA
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:07:22 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:07 UTC

I've written about this at length before. If anyone else is
bugged by off-charter posts in cola, we could always
vote to enforce the charter.

Note I said "vote". I'm not a moderator, or even much
of a leader. But I'm motivated to say something,
and to help.

This morning, I attended a meeting whose theme
was "Radical Transformation". Could that happen here?
(Beats me.) But, should net.denizens prefer more
Linux and less BS: as I said, I'm willing to help.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _
From: tale@uunet.uu.net (David C Lawrence)
Subject: newgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sender: tale@uunet.uu.net (David C Lawrence)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 15:33:41 GMT

comp.os.linux.advocacy is a unmoderated newsgroup which passed its vote for
creation by 1337:167 as reported in news.announce.newgroups on 13 Dec 1994.

For your newsgroups file:
comp.os.linux.advocacy Benefits of Linux compared to other operating systems.

The charter, culled from the call for votes:

For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating systems.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

--
-v

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<e26suitoulmqkfdsieno0dd9tfv7clusvq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11769&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11769

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:30:30 -0400
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 20:30 UTC

vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:

>I've written about this at length before. If anyone else is
>bugged by off-charter posts in cola, we could always
>vote to enforce the charter.
>
>Note I said "vote". I'm not a moderator, or even much
>of a leader. But I'm motivated to say something,
>and to help.
>
>This morning, I attended a meeting whose theme
>was "Radical Transformation". Could that happen here?
>(Beats me.) But, should net.denizens prefer more
>Linux and less BS: as I said, I'm willing to help.
>
> _ _ _ _ _ _ _
>From: tale@uunet.uu.net (David C Lawrence)
>Subject: newgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy
>Sender: tale@uunet.uu.net (David C Lawrence)
>Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 15:33:41 GMT
>
>comp.os.linux.advocacy is a unmoderated newsgroup which passed its vote for
>creation by 1337:167 as reported in news.announce.newgroups on 13 Dec 1994.
>
>For your newsgroups file:
>comp.os.linux.advocacy Benefits of Linux compared to other operating systems.
>
>The charter, culled from the call for votes:
>
> For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating systems.
> _ _ _ _ _ _ _

You're wanting to netcop the topics presented in COLA?

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<17bb84a53852be79$480$2601257$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11777&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11777

From: ff@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 21:32:08 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 21:32 UTC

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:07:22 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:

> I've written about this at length before. If anyone else is
> bugged by off-charter posts in cola, we could always
> vote to enforce the charter.

It's a noble gesture, but it's destined to fail.

My posts are always on topic, but the presence of a multitude
of "squatters" who use C.O.L.A. to assuage their loneliness is
a major hindrance. These losers will be very difficult to purge.

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<l6bsuitm3c9rcjfosvcsu7hllgavdac3sp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11779&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11779

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:59:11 -0400
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 21:59 UTC

Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> wrote:
>On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:07:22 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:
>
>> I've written about this at length before. If anyone else is
>> bugged by off-charter posts in cola, we could always
>> vote to enforce the charter.
>
>It's a noble gesture, but it's destined to fail.
>
>My posts are always on topic, but the presence of a multitude
>of "squatters" who use C.O.L.A. to assuage their loneliness is
>a major hindrance. These losers will be very difficult to purge.

Your posts are on topic to fail to execute the purpose of the group,
you advocate being a dumbshit, you are a void of a role model for
Linux use, you suck. You should get some real drugs, nerd.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<uslebt$3765n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11780&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11780

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:05:34 -0400
 by: DFS - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:05 UTC

On 3/10/2024 5:32 PM, Lyin' Larry Piet wrote:

> My posts are always on topic,

Except for the ~3/4 that aren't.

"For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
systems."

Filter out OT stuff and the crossposting and you're left with about 2%
of cola posts.

And many if not most on-topic discussions quickly drift off-topic
anyway; it's the nature of the unmoderated beast.

I rarely read or get involved in threads about politics, religion or
war, but any discussions related to operating systems, applications,
technology, programming, computer languages, databases, distros
(including Windows), Microsoft/tech vendors, hardware, and the mental
illness / prescription meds of Linux advocates are cool by me.

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<mofsuipkf0br1esvggj07e0r5c6g3k5d3k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11782&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11782

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:16:42 -0400
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:16 UTC

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

>the mental
>illness / prescription meds of Linux advocates

I don't even have to see my psychiatrist to get another year of
refills on my meds, it'll just get put in the system. Taking them is
not always "mental illness".

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<uslfo5$37b7n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11784&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11784

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:29:10 -0400
 by: DFS - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:29 UTC

On 3/10/2024 7:16 PM, Joel wrote:
> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>> the mental
>> illness / prescription meds of Linux advocates
>

> I don't even have to see my psychiatrist to get another year of
> refills on my meds, it'll just get put in the system. Taking them is
> not always "mental illness".

Did your psychiatrist treat your past lives in his past lives?

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<nqgsuid2bh74ipoi08vk6gmk6bg5e2jnjg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11786&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11786

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:34:28 -0400
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:34 UTC

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

>>> the mental
>>> illness / prescription meds of Linux advocates
>>
>> I don't even have to see my psychiatrist to get another year of
>> refills on my meds, it'll just get put in the system. Taking them is
>> not always "mental illness".
>
>Did your psychiatrist treat your past lives in his past lives?

He knows that I'm a professional who can handle taking his meds
without talking to a doctor.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<usmqgh$3j8em$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11805&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11805

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 07:38:57 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:38 UTC

vallor wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> I've written about this at length before. If anyone else is
> bugged by off-charter posts in cola, we could always
> vote to enforce the charter.

If ya don't like'm, plonk'm.

Personally, I don't mind a little off-topic, but sometimes it just does on and
on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and...

Heh heh:

--
If you learn one useless thing every day, in a single year you'll learn
365 useless things.

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<usnpcj$1801n$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11826&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11826

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:25:55 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:25 UTC

On 3/11/2024 6:38 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> vallor wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> I've written about this at length before. If anyone else is
>> bugged by off-charter posts in cola, we could always
>> vote to enforce the charter.
>
> If ya don't like'm, plonk'm.
>
> Personally, I don't mind a little off-topic, but sometimes it just does on and
> on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and...

That's "mathematical proof" that you're someone's dick's groupie.

Vallor? That sorry ass never grew up.

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<ao3vuih57urpe9e3e8kpn4kcddv3tkhb7p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11840&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11840

From: chrisv@nospam.invalid (chrisv)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:13:01 -0500
 by: chrisv - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 23:13 UTC

vallor wrote:

>I've written about this at length before. If anyone else is
>bugged by off-charter posts in cola, we could always
>vote to enforce the charter.
>
>Note I said "vote". I'm not a moderator, or even much
>of a leader. But I'm motivated to say something,
>and to help.
>
>This morning, I attended a meeting whose theme
>was "Radical Transformation". Could that happen here?
>(Beats me.) But, should net.denizens prefer mo

I think OT stuff is fine. There's plenty of roon in here for Linux
and other stuff. It helps keep the group alive.

--
"You have no reason whatsoever to doubt my word." - DumFSck, lying
shamelessly

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<uso9hu$3tprd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11854&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11854

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 01:01:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 01:01 UTC

chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote at 23:13 this Monday (GMT):
> vallor wrote:
>
>>I've written about this at length before. If anyone else is
>>bugged by off-charter posts in cola, we could always
>>vote to enforce the charter.
>>
>>Note I said "vote". I'm not a moderator, or even much
>>of a leader. But I'm motivated to say something,
>>and to help.
>>
>>This morning, I attended a meeting whose theme
>>was "Radical Transformation". Could that happen here?
>>(Beats me.) But, should net.denizens prefer mo
>
> I think OT stuff is fine. There's plenty of roon in here for Linux
> and other stuff. It helps keep the group alive.

I think it's kinda fun to read.

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<usonbb$41s8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11865&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11865

From: br.fyodor@gmail.com (favask)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 06:57:15 +0200
 by: favask - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 04:57 UTC

On 12.03.24 03:01, candycanearter07 wrote:
> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote at 23:13 this Monday (GMT):
>> vallor wrote:
>>
>>> I've written about this at length before. If anyone else is
>>> bugged by off-charter posts in cola, we could always
>>> vote to enforce the charter.
>>>
>>> Note I said "vote". I'm not a moderator, or even much
>>> of a leader. But I'm motivated to say something,
>>> and to help.
>>>
>>> This morning, I attended a meeting whose theme
>>> was "Radical Transformation". Could that happen here?
>>> (Beats me.) But, should net.denizens prefer mo
>>
>> I think OT stuff is fine. There's plenty of roon in here for Linux
>> and other stuff. It helps keep the group alive.
>
> I think it's kinda fun to read.

IMHO, OT stuff is in fact *almost* the only things that are fun to read :)

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<ust72a$15o5t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11974&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11974

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:50:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:50 UTC

favask <br.fyodor@gmail.com> wrote at 04:57 this Tuesday (GMT):
> On 12.03.24 03:01, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote at 23:13 this Monday (GMT):

>>> I think OT stuff is fine. There's plenty of roon in here for Linux
>>> and other stuff. It helps keep the group alive.
>>
>> I think it's kinda fun to read.
>
> IMHO, OT stuff is in fact *almost* the only things that are fun to read :)

Kinda agree, I don't fully understand the code challenge stuff so I stay
out of it.

Re: Non-Linux posts in COLA

<65f56227$0$29736$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12088&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12088

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 16 Mar 2024 09:11:03 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:11 UTC

Le 10-03-2024, Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> a écrit :
> You should get some real drugs

No.

--