Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale down the beach. -- S. C. Johnson

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / what does 'live' mean?

SubjectAuthor
* what does 'live' mean?vjp2.at
+- Re: what does 'live' mean?Richmond
+- Re: what does 'live' mean?David W. Hodgins
+* Re: what does 'live' mean?Bobbie Sellers
|`* Re: what does 'live' mean?Andreas Kohlbach
| `- Re: what does 'live' mean?27E.G756
+- Re: what does 'live' mean?27E.G756
`- Re: what does 'live' mean?vjp2.at

1
what does 'live' mean?

<tvl17p$9d4$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12078&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12078

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: what does 'live' mean?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:29:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:29 UTC

I just assume it means bootable/installable ISO..

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: what does 'live' mean?

<85mt41nab7.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12079&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12079

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: what does 'live' mean?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:50:20 +0000
 by: Richmond - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:50 UTC

vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com writes:

> I just assume it means bootable/installable ISO..

To me it means you can run the OS from the ISO without installing it.

Re: what does 'live' mean?

<op.12bxpkfia3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12080&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12080

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:23:34 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 21:23 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:29:45 -0400, <vjp2.at@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com> wrote:

> I just assume it means bootable/installable ISO..

If you look at Mageia https://www.mageia.org/en-gb/downloads/

The classic iso images boot to an installer the includes partitioning, selecting
and installing one or more desktop environments, various configuration options
such as networking, etc., all used to install linux onto the hard drive. Things
like running firefox or other applications are not supported while the installer
is in control. The classic iso images are intended to be burned to an optical
disk, or copied to a usb stick using a dd like tool.

The live iso images boot to the selected KDE Plasma, Gnome, or Xfce4 desktop
environment, which is then able to run things like firefox or other applications
without touching the hard drive. If a usb stick is used rather then an optical
disk, then a partition can be added to store changes made while the live iso is
running (aka persistence) when rebooting the live iso. Whether persistence is used
or not, the live iso image can also be used to install linux onto the hard drive if
desired, and changes made while running the iso image in live mode are kept.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: what does 'live' mean?

<tvlreb$21fs1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12084&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12084

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:56:57 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:56 UTC

On 3/24/23 13:29, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> I just assume it means bootable/installable ISO..

Live means an iso file which can be run from
booting up. Some are not installable and many these days have
persistent memory if written to Flash Drive of appropriate size.
I think Knoppix had both features as long as 3.9 but certainly
that has been the case for some time. Most work on DVDs as
well There are a fair number that are small enough to fit on
a cd.

Some of the Install-able .ISO files can be run live but
distros marked *-Install-*-.iso files can boot up a Linux Kernel
and run an installation script including partitioning and then
expanding and copying the significant files to the appropriate
partitions. Some are using systems that are run strictly from
USB and some come as compressed images that can be checksumed,
opened and the .img file copied to whatever media.

My the wonders of the modern world, I used to install
Mandriva from 6 CDs which were sent to me as iso files to be
boot-ably written to the 6 CDs RW but they came to me on a
DVD and I had to use the tools on XP to extract the iso files
and write them.
The guy who mailed me the DVD is still a regular correspondent
as we turned out both to be interested in manga and anime.

bliss - good luck to you.

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: what does 'live' mean?

<87wn34d4fp.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12095&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12095

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:19:38 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 19:19 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:56:57 -0700, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

> On 3/24/23 13:29, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>> I just assume it means bootable/installable ISO..
>>

> Live means an iso file which can be run from
> booting up. Some are not installable

Most "live distros" I came across also have the option to start an
installation.

My MINT was such an ISO. I chose to install it late 2021. Am typing this
article on it.
--
Andreas

Re: what does 'live' mean?

<FOacnbXgGpqKRIL5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12104&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12104

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 27E.G756@noq24u.net (27E.G756)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 01:33:06 -0400
 by: 27E.G756 - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 05:33 UTC

On 3/24/23 4:29 PM, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> I just assume it means bootable/installable ISO..

It means you CAN run it without officially "installing"
it to a HDD partition. Live distros are nice.

Usually, when booting, yer BIOS will display a message
like "press F2 for options" and you DO THAT. Then go
to the BOOT menu and pick the UEFI stick or DVD image
you wanna "override" start. Some BIOS will let you
default to a stick on boot, but these days it's best
to best to be able to explicitly choose the UEFI
version to start.

Not EVERY 'live' distro can be "installed", but MOST can
these days.

I prefer MX Linux Live or Debian Live. MX has more neat
trix out of the box, Deb is more basic/stable. IMHO
Deb/LXDE Live is the cat's meow. I just installed a
multi-use server using that.

There's "Ubuntu Server" ... but Canonical has drifted
off to some strange corner of late. Half the time it
tries to push you into its 'cloud' crap and I've even
had instances of where it won't even boot because it's
looking for your 'cloud' accounts that don't exist. On
20.04 I had to use a live distro to physically obliterate
some executables from /usr/bin and /usr/share just to
get past those 'cloud' issues.

The latest US, even their "snap" system didn't work worth a
damn - had to install Lynx and download the real FireFox
installer ! In any case you spend an hour REMOVING/DISABLING
a bunch of obnoxious stuff on UServer. No thanks. No More.

Vanilla Deb makes a GREAT and efficient server. Same
goes for the "mother" versions of most distros - like Arch
or Slack. After IBM/RHEL, that branch is kinda dead to
anyone who doesn't wanna be running 'free' alpha/beta code.

BTW ... tried Deb BookWorm the other day. Alas it's still
kinda alpha and the software base has NOT caught up yet.
I saw versions of things there with odd version numbers
that don't even appear on the GitHub pages - rude patches.
IMHO, wait for Deb 12.1x :-)

Re: what does 'live' mean?

<qcSdnf0-E5OqR4L5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12105&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12105

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 27E.G756@noq24u.net (27E.G756)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 01:37:44 -0400
 by: 27E.G756 - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 05:37 UTC

aOn 3/25/23 3:19 PM, Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:56:57 -0700, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>>
>> On 3/24/23 13:29, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>>> I just assume it means bootable/installable ISO..
>>>

>> Live means an iso file which can be run from
>> booting up. Some are not installable
>
> Most "live distros" I came across also have the option to start an
> installation.
>
> My MINT was such an ISO. I chose to install it late 2021. Am typing this
> article on it.

MOST "live" distros now offer a proper install option,
but not ALL of them.

IMHO, for most, START with a "live" distro and then if
it seems OK you can initiate the HDD install.

Live distros are also top-notch for fix-ups you cannot
do within the existing system - like using gparted to
change the size of your "/" partition. Did that thursday.
Easier than the "manual partitioning" crap ...

Re: what does 'live' mean?

<u01qat$1ua$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12152&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12152

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 16:51:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 16:51 UTC

Thanks

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm