Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 11:23:14 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Dell driver vulnerability affects hundreds of millions of PCs
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 6 May 2021 10:23 UTC

[W7 added as that's what I'm using. For W7 users: see Subject - someone
posted the below link, and I got something unexpected when I tried to
follow it. At least one other person has followed the link no problem
(though isn't impressed with the eventual Dell page).]

On Thu, 6 May 2021 at 10:56:48, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):

>J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
>> try blocking consent.yahoo.com in your hosts file and following the
>> link; I'll be interested if you get the same I do.
>Here, it never tries to access that (let alone get blocked).
>The closest matches are as follows
[]
Interesting! Did you actually try blocking?

I just tried again accessing (Chrome, though I got similar in an old
Firefox0
https://www.engadget.com/dell-driver-vulnerability-affects-hundreds-of-millions-of-p-cs-122028649.html
, and am now seeing this in my address bar:
https://consent.yahoo.com/v2/collectConsent?sessionId=3_cc-session_1ab50869-f95d-4635-8cab-ca02e6d92ed3
with the content of the page being the normal "This site can't be
reached" Chrome pseudo-page, as I'd expect as I have that site in my
hosts file.
I just tried again and am now seeing (or rather not seeing)
https://consent.yahoo.com/v2/collectConsent?sessionId=3_cc-session_049a3a58-a333-4e74-80e6-77fb6e06b104
, i. e. the "sessionId" at least has changed.
Just tried again with Javascript blocked, and no change (this time
https://consent.yahoo.com/v2/collectConsent?sessionId=3_cc-session_97d05561-4036-4900-85e6-56ed9092dd97
).

It may be something _other_ than - or in addition to - my blocking that
site that is causing me to be redirected there.

Parkinson: "What caused your conversion to women - was it the love of a good
one?" George Melly: "No the love of several bad ones" (Lizbuff in UMRA
'01-4-25)

Re: Dell driver vulnerability affects hundreds of millions of PCs

<ifhvetFovehU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1205&group=alt.windows7.general#1205

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 11:41:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 6 May 2021 10:41 UTC

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> Interesting! Did you actually try blocking?

Initially I didn't.

But have now blocked it in etc/hosts

> I just tried again accessing (Chrome, though I got similar in an old
> Firefox0
> https://www.engadget.com/dell-driver-vulnerability-affects-hundreds-of-millions-of-p-cs-122028649.html

with firefox that addr still works

> , and am now seeing this in my address bar:
> https://consent.yahoo.com/v2/collectConsent?sessionId=3_cc-session_1ab50869-f95d-4635-8cab-ca02e6d92ed3

with chrome without adblock it presumably loads a script that tries to
do a redirect, and chrome tries to go to consent.blah except the hosts
file prevents it and I just get an error

> with the content of the page being the normal "This site can't be
> reached" Chrome pseudo-page, as I'd expect as I have that site in my
> hosts file.

yep.