May you do Good Magic with Perl. -- Larry Wall's blessing

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / On-Topic: How to Boot My Network

SubjectAuthor
* On-Topic: How to Boot My NetworkFarley Flud
+* Re: On-Topic: How to Boot My NetworkChris Ahlstrom
|`* Re: On-Topic: How to Boot My NetworkNuxxie
| `- Re: On-Topic: How to Boot My NetworkChris Ahlstrom
`- Re: On-Topic: How to Boot My NetworkJoel

1
On-Topic: How to Boot My Network

<17bc6be2f25a308c$395$2820980$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11968&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11968

From: ff@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Subject: On-Topic: How to Boot My Network
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 20:09:40 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 20:09 UTC

Most denizens of this NG are distro lackeys and thus they
don't know what the fuck is going on.

But I am MASTER of my GNU/Linux machine and I will reveal
how I connect my standalone desktop workstation to the network
(i.e. the machine is connected to the Internet modem and to
other local machines through a router).

First, the basic network connect script:

#! /bin/bash
modprobe <appropiate module> && modprobe af_packet
ifconfig eno1 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add -net default gateway 192.168.0.1
pdnsd -d
netstat -nr

That's it. Just four fucking lines of bash code and
I am good to go. (The fifth line just prints an
informative message about the connection.)

But that's not really all. There are other files
involved, like /etc/hosts.conf:

order hosts, bind
multi off

Also, /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

Yes, my nameserver is my local machine due to the
use of pdnds, which is a caching nameserver.

But that is basically fucking it.

How does the distro lackey boot his network?

Most likely he depends on 1 million lines of systemd
to accomplish the above.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Now don't you wish that you were a MASTER rather
than a LACKEY?

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Re: On-Topic: How to Boot My Network

<ust3hn$14t7f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11970&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11970

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: On-Topic: How to Boot My Network
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 16:49:59 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 20:49 UTC

Farley Flud wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Most denizens of this NG are distro lackeys and thus they
> don't know what the fuck is going on.
>
> But I am MASTER of my GNU/Linux machine and I will reveal
> how I connect my standalone desktop workstation to the network
> (i.e. the machine is connected to the Internet modem and to
> other local machines through a router).
>
> First, the basic network connect script:
>
> #! /bin/bash
> modprobe <appropiate module> && modprobe af_packet
> ifconfig eno1 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
> route add -net default gateway 192.168.0.1
> pdnsd -d
> netstat -nr
>
> That's it. Just four fucking lines of bash code and
> I am good to go. (The fifth line just prints an
> informative message about the connection.)
>
> But that's not really all. There are other files
> involved, like /etc/hosts.conf:
>
> order hosts, bind
> multi off
>
> Also, /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> Yes, my nameserver is my local machine due to the
> use of pdnds, which is a caching nameserver.
>
> But that is basically fucking it.
>
> How does the distro lackey boot his network?
>
> Most likely he depends on 1 million lines of systemd
> to accomplish the above.
>
> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!
>
> Now don't you wish that you were a MASTER rather
> than a LACKEY?
>
> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

This is stock stuff that guys like vallor and I have dealt with for a couple
decades, dood.

If I really want that fun back, I can boot to FreeBSD.

--
Always the dullness of the fool is the whetstone of the wits.
-- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

Re: On-Topic: How to Boot My Network

<3gh4vi58tq0ap10l0ofdqs6ka0ui6dji2g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11991&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11991

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 20:34:20 -0400
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 00:34 UTC

Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> wrote:

>Most denizens of this NG are distro lackeys and thus they
>don't know what the fuck is going on.
>
>But I am MASTER of my GNU/Linux machine

<yawn>

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: On-Topic: How to Boot My Network

<17bc9ba82afa062e$230126$2218499$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12006&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12006

From: nuxxie@linux.rocks (Nuxxie)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:45:05 +0000
 by: Nuxxie - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:45 UTC

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 16:49:59 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> If I really want that fun back, I can boot to FreeBSD.

But you did not answer the question.

The question was how does the distro user boot his network?

You did dot answer because you do not know. You don't need to know.
Your distro does it all for you.

But then how do you know that your distro isn't sending back boat loads
of data about your system and your behavior to some remote server
somewhere?

You can't know that either.

And it's not an idiotic concern because Ubuntu is/was known to do
this very thing. Ubuntu is malware and most likely so too are other
distros.

Re: On-Topic: How to Boot My Network

<usupvv$1jdri$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12012&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12012

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 08:19:11 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:19 UTC

Nuxxie wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 16:49:59 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> If I really want that fun back, I can boot to FreeBSD.
>
> But you did not answer the question.
>
> The question was how does the distro user boot his network?
>
> You did dot answer because you do not know. You don't need to know.
> Your distro does it all for you.

Of course. But if I felt the need, I could find out the process.

But I have other fish to fry.

> But then how do you know that your distro isn't sending back boat loads
> of data about your system and your behavior to some remote server
> somewhere?
>
> You can't know that either.

Never heard of network analyzers, eh?

> And it's not an idiotic concern because Ubuntu is/was known to do
> this very thing. Ubuntu is malware and most likely so too are other
> distros.

Oy.

Heh:

--
If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it.