From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: 2021 MacBook Pro allows battery change out
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 01:46:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RS Wood - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 01:46 UTC

From the «progress» department:
Feed: Engadget is a web magazine with obsessive daily coverage of everything new
in gadgets and consumer electronics
Title: 2021 MacBook Pro teardown reveals easy-to-remove batteries
Author: Mariella Moon
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 12:30:32 -0400
Link: https://www.engadget.com/ifixit-2021-mac-book-pro-teardown-163032306.html?src=rss

Apple may have given us a glimpse[1] of what the new 14- and 16-inch MacBook
Pros'[2] insides look like, but it had a surprise waiting for the folks at
iFixit nonetheless. The iFixit team said removing batteries from recent MacBook
Pros required "infinite patience, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, and an optional
bottle of human-friendly alcohol." They expected the same from this generation
of laptops but were pleasantly surprised by the presence of pull tabs instead
when they tore down[3] the new MacBook Pros.

The outer battery cells have noticeable pull tabs that you can, well, pull to
detach them from their adhesive underneath. Even the central battery cells have
pull tabs — they're just harder to find inside the laptop chassis beneath the
trackpad. iFixit was able able to confirm that the laptops will recognize and
work with battery replacements just fine.

In addition, most of the laptops' ports, except for the SD card reader and the
HDMI port, are modular. That means they can be easily and cheaply replaced if
they suddenly break or malfunction. Conversely, the laptops' keyboard will still
be hard to replace, but hey, at least the days of Apple's butterfly keyboard are
now over[4]. You can watch iFixit's teardown process in the video below, and it
also has more photos of the laptops insides on its website[3] if you want to
have a better look at their components. iFixit also took apart[5] Apple's $19
polishing cloth, in case you're wondering what makes it more expensive that its
typical counterparts.

Links:
[1]: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/10/apple-unveils-game-changing-macbook-pro/ (link)
[2]: https://www.engadget.com/mac-book-pro-14-16-inch-review-2021-apple-mighty-macs-130011975.html (link)
[3]: https://www.ifixit.com/News/54122/macbook-pro-2021-teardown (link)
[4]: https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-20-apple-macbook-air-2020-first-look-keyboard-true-tone-display.html (link)
[5]: https://www.ifixit.com/News/54122/macbook-pro-2021-teardown#cloth (link)

--
Port 80 is overrated.

Re: 2021 MacBook Pro allows battery change out

<20211127172004.7b4528cf@haraya.local.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1284&group=comp.misc#1284

From: rtr@nospam.invalid (rtr)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: 2021 MacBook Pro allows battery change out
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 17:20:04 +0800
 by: rtr - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 09:20 UTC

On Mon, 1 Nov 2021 01:46:39 -0000 (UTC)
RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote:

> From the «progress» department:
> Feed: Engadget is a web magazine with obsessive daily coverage of
> everything new in gadgets and consumer electronics
> Title: 2021 MacBook Pro teardown reveals easy-to-remove batteries
> Author: Mariella Moon
> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 12:30:32 -0400
> Link:
> https://www.engadget.com/ifixit-2021-mac-book-pro-teardown-163032306.html?src=rss
>
> Apple may have given us a glimpse[1] of what the new 14- and 16-inch
> MacBook Pros'[2] insides look like, but it had a surprise waiting for
> the folks at iFixit nonetheless. The iFixit team said removing
> batteries from recent MacBook Pros required "infinite patience, a
> bottle of isopropyl alcohol, and an optional bottle of human-friendly
> alcohol." They expected the same from this generation of laptops but
> were pleasantly surprised by the presence of pull tabs instead when
> they tore down[3] the new MacBook Pros.
>
> The outer battery cells have noticeable pull tabs that you can, well,
> pull to detach them from their adhesive underneath. Even the central
> battery cells have pull tabs — they're just harder to find inside the
> laptop chassis beneath the trackpad. iFixit was able able to confirm
> that the laptops will recognize and work with battery replacements
> just fine.
>
> In addition, most of the laptops' ports, except for the SD card
> reader and the HDMI port, are modular. That means they can be easily
> and cheaply replaced if they suddenly break or malfunction.
> Conversely, the laptops' keyboard will still be hard to replace, but
> hey, at least the days of Apple's butterfly keyboard are now over[4].
> You can watch iFixit's teardown process in the video below, and it
> also has more photos of the laptops insides on its website[3] if you
> want to have a better look at their components. iFixit also took
> apart[5] Apple's $19 polishing cloth, in case you're wondering what
> makes it more expensive that its typical counterparts.
>

> Links:
> [1]:
> https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/10/apple-unveils-game-changing-macbook-pro/
> (link) [2]:
> https://www.engadget.com/mac-book-pro-14-16-inch-review-2021-apple-mighty-macs-130011975.html
> (link) [3]:
> https://www.ifixit.com/News/54122/macbook-pro-2021-teardown (link)
> [4]:
> https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-20-apple-macbook-air-2020-first-look-keyboard-true-tone-display.html
> (link) [5]:
> https://www.ifixit.com/News/54122/macbook-pro-2021-teardown#cloth
> (link)

It's laughably sad to think that we now find "easily replaceable
batteries" and "removable components" features when it should have
been the default.

Things like these make me think that I'm just living
in a one great gaslighting in that everything that I thought is right
and good is slowly taken away from me, redefined and given back in a
malformed and corrupted way only to find a few years later that we've
gone back from where we started and that, apparently, is a symbol of
progress and that I should be grateful for it.

It's annoying and this article just proves to me that the current world
is such a case.

Re: 2021 MacBook Pro allows battery change out

<Wi9pJ.97315$VS2.73462@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1295&group=comp.misc#1295

Sender: Scott Alfter <salfter@linode.members.linode.com>
From: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 18:51:34 GMT
 by: Scott Alfter - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 18:51 UTC

RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote:
> Apple may have given us a glimpse[1] of what the new 14- and 16-inch MacBook
> Pros'[2] insides look like, but it had a surprise waiting for the folks at
> iFixit nonetheless. The iFixit team said removing batteries from recent MacBook
> Pros required "infinite patience, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, and an optional
> bottle of human-friendly alcohol." They expected the same from this generation
> of laptops but were pleasantly surprised by the presence of pull tabs instead
> when they tore down[3] the new MacBook Pros.

Going back to what they should've been doing all along, IOW.

Meanwhile, I put in an order for one of these last week:

https://frame.work/products/laptop-diy-edition

That's probably at the other extreme of servicability, though I recently
watched a Dell tech field-swap a notebook motherboard (in one of their
thinner machines, no less) with little more than a screwdriver and a
spudger.

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

computers / comp.misc / 2021 MacBook Pro allows battery change out