From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: The Devil His Due
Date: 12 Mar 2024 02:46:52 GMT
 by: rbowman - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 02:46 UTC

There are an number of cheap Chinese knockoffs of the Saleae logic
analyzer:

amazon.com/dp/B077LSG5P2

For $12.69 how can you go wrong? It comes with the module, a USB cable and
8 female/female Dupont wires. That's it.

Sigrok's PulseView will work with it. Let's just say the installation
attempt did not go well on Ubuntu. 'sudo apt install sigrok' works and
PulseView comes up but locks up requiring a kill -9.

The Windows installer works as expected and the installation includes
zadig to install a generic driver for the 'unknown device'. Start
PulseView and it finds the device.

Years ago RadioShack had a USB oscilloscope that more or less sucked. This
isn't comparable to a high end logic analyzer but it certainly is
sufficient to see a varying PWM output, or in this case 3 since I was
driving the pins on a RGB LED.

I probably could get it working on Linux but with the yearly disruption of
my circadian rhythm I'm feeling lazy. I really wish the pols could take a
break from their regular bullshit to bury DST in a deep, dark grave.

Re: The Devil His Due

<usop4c$18dum$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11866&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11866

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Devil His Due
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:27:39 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 05:27 UTC

On 3/11/2024 9:46 PM, rbowman wrote:
> There are an number of cheap Chinese knockoffs of the Saleae logic
> analyzer:
>
> amazon.com/dp/B077LSG5P2
>
> For $12.69 how can you go wrong? It comes with the module, a USB cable and
> 8 female/female Dupont wires. That's it.
>
> Sigrok's PulseView will work with it. Let's just say the installation
> attempt did not go well on Ubuntu. 'sudo apt install sigrok' works and
> PulseView comes up but locks up requiring a kill -9.
>
> The Windows installer works as expected and the installation includes
> zadig to install a generic driver for the 'unknown device'. Start
> PulseView and it finds the device.
>
> Years ago RadioShack had a USB oscilloscope that more or less sucked. This
> isn't comparable to a high end logic analyzer but it certainly is
> sufficient to see a varying PWM output, or in this case 3 since I was
> driving the pins on a RGB LED.
>
> I probably could get it working on Linux but with the yearly disruption of
> my circadian rhythm I'm feeling lazy. I really wish the pols could take a
> break from their regular bullshit to bury DST in a deep, dark grave.

Is this something that by any chance could be used to get same
information that sophisticated OBD-II (On-Board Diagnostics) scanners or
readers get for status of various functions in automobiles? The latter
are $1000 or $2000 in price (if not more), and this one is only $12.69.

Re: The Devil His Due

<l5ad2pF4s56U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11867&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11867

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 12 Mar 2024 07:03:54 GMT
 by: rbowman - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 07:03 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:27:39 -0500, Physfitfreak wrote:

> Is this something that by any chance could be used to get same
> information that sophisticated OBD-II (On-Board Diagnostics) scanners or
> readers get for status of various functions in automobiles? The latter
> are $1000 or $2000 in price (if not more), and this one is only $12.69.

https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/obd2-explained-simple-intro

No, but you probably can cook something ip with an arduino to handle the
CAD bus protocol. You might be able to isolate some of the signal lines
and watch the bits go by like if you were looking at I2C or SPI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

"There is very limited information available in the public domain for non-
standard PIDs. The primary source of information on non-standard PIDs
across different manufacturers is maintained by the US-based Equipment and
Tool Institute and only available to members. The price of ETI membership
for access to scan codes varies based on company size defined by annual
sales of automotive tools and equipment in North America:"

That's going to be the real problem.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

I've got one of those around here someplace. I used to use it for fuel
economy metrics and other information but the 2018 Toyota has a lot of
that available either on the console or cycling through the odometer
displays. The 2007 and 2011 Toyotas didn't show the info. I never used it
for troubleshooting since they didn't have any problems.

Re: The Devil His Due

<usqedi$19l46$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11902&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11902

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:37:08 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 20:37 UTC

On 3/12/2024 2:03 AM, rbowman wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:27:39 -0500, Physfitfreak wrote:
>
>> Is this something that by any chance could be used to get same
>> information that sophisticated OBD-II (On-Board Diagnostics) scanners or
>> readers get for status of various functions in automobiles? The latter
>> are $1000 or $2000 in price (if not more), and this one is only $12.69.
>
> https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/obd2-explained-simple-intro
>
> No, but you probably can cook something ip with an arduino to handle the
> CAD bus protocol. You might be able to isolate some of the signal lines
> and watch the bits go by like if you were looking at I2C or SPI.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs
>
> "There is very limited information available in the public domain for non-
> standard PIDs. The primary source of information on non-standard PIDs
> across different manufacturers is maintained by the US-based Equipment and
> Tool Institute and only available to members. The price of ETI membership
> for access to scan codes varies based on company size defined by annual
> sales of automotive tools and equipment in North America:"
>
> That's going to be the real problem.
>
> https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/
>
> I've got one of those around here someplace. I used to use it for fuel
> economy metrics and other information but the 2018 Toyota has a lot of
> that available either on the console or cycling through the odometer
> displays. The 2007 and 2011 Toyotas didn't show the info. I never used it
> for troubleshooting since they didn't have any problems.

Thanks for the information.