Simulations are like miniskirts, they show a lot and hide the essentials. -- Hubert Kirrman

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

SubjectAuthor
* For All The Fucking ModernistsLester Thorpe
+* Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsJoel
|+* Re: For All The Fucking Modernistscandycanearter07
||+* Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsJoel
|||`* Re: For All The Fucking Modernistscandycanearter07
||| `* Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsJoel
|||  `* Re: For All The Fucking Modernistscandycanearter07
|||   `* Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsJoel
|||    `* Re: For All The Fucking Modernistscandycanearter07
|||     `* Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsJoel
|||      +- Re: For All The Fucking Modernistscandycanearter07
|||      `- Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsPhysfitfreak
||`* Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsChris Ahlstrom
|| `- Re: For All The Fucking Modernistscandycanearter07
|`* Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsDFS
| `- Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsJoel
+* Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsStéphane CARPENTIER
|`* Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsJoel
| `- Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsStéphane CARPENTIER
`* Re: For All The Fucking Modernistscandycanearter07
 +- Re: For All The Fucking Modernistsrbowman
 `* Re: For All The Fucking ModernistsStéphane CARPENTIER
  `- Re: For All The Fucking Modernistscandycanearter07

1
For All The Fucking Modernists

<17b95885dd0b4c4c$1$2175118$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11059&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11059

From: lt@gnu.rocks (Lester Thorpe)
Subject: For All The Fucking Modernists
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 19:41:05 +0000
 by: Lester Thorpe - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 19:41 UTC

Most helpless distro lackeys will disdain software that is "old"
as being not up to "modern" standards.

Well fuck those pathetic lackey assholes.

Check out the MAD group of MP3 software:

ftp://ftp.mars.org/pub/mpeg/

Holy fuckin' moley! That stuff hasn't been updated since 2003/4!

But it is still mighty fucking good. _I_ use it to render ALL my mp3
files. It is still the VERY FUCKING BEST mp3 render available anywhere.

So all you fucking "modernists" can all go take a long fucking walk on
a short fucking pier.

Software NEVER dies. GNU/Linux will live forever while Microslop
withers like a rotten egg.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<8ok9uilq193j6eeoreeiag19onaundvh2j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11060&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11060

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: For All The Fucking Modernists
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 14:44:50 -0500
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 19:44 UTC

Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote:

>mp3 render

The cool kids use Audacious, which is superior to the best Windows
audio player (IMO that being Winamp).

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<65e4e8da$0$2988$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11079&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11079

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 03 Mar 2024 21:17:14 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:17 UTC

Le 03-03-2024, Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> a écrit :
> Most helpless distro lackeys will disdain software that is "old"
> as being not up to "modern" standards.

Like to move on 64bits like you claimed a few time ago? You really
should try to know what you want.

> Check out the MAD group of MP3 software:

Why would I need an mp3 software?

> ftp://ftp.mars.org/pub/mpeg/
>
> Holy fuckin' moley! That stuff hasn't been updated since 2003/4!

OK, so, did you check if it was converted in 64bits like you require
every program to be? Because at first glance, I really have some doubts.

> But it is still mighty fucking good.

Even if it's still in 32bits?

> _I_ use it to render ALL my mp3 files.

Ah OK, so you don't care about quality. So your concerns about your
players are uninteresting.

> It is still the VERY FUCKING BEST mp3 render available anywhere.

But a mp3 render is for poor quality sound, so even the best one is
useless.

> So all you fucking "modernists" can all go take a long fucking walk on
> a short fucking pier.

I'd rather listen to good quality sound than bad mp3 sound. We can speak
about flac or raw if you want, but I'm not interested by your garbage
compression.

> Software NEVER dies. GNU/Linux will live forever while Microslop
> withers like a rotten egg.

Did you check if it was converted in 64bits as you request every program
to be? I'm pretty sure you didn't because your rules don't apply to you.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<jur9ui5j2fng7g7pfcq6vqinob59n4mp82@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11083&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11083

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 16:48:42 -0500
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:48 UTC

Stéphane CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:

>But a mp3 render is for poor quality sound, so even the best one is
>useless.

Most of the CDDAs I ripped myself are MP3 files, and they are what
Amazon.com sells digitally for local download. Whether you think it's
inferior (which depends on the settings and encoder used) it's still a
component of PC sound.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<us4rfj$37phe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11101&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11101

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:05:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:05 UTC

Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote at 19:41 this Sunday (GMT):
> Most helpless distro lackeys will disdain software that is "old"
> as being not up to "modern" standards.
>
> Well fuck those pathetic lackey assholes.
>
> Check out the MAD group of MP3 software:
>
> ftp://ftp.mars.org/pub/mpeg/
>
> Holy fuckin' moley! That stuff hasn't been updated since 2003/4!
>
> But it is still mighty fucking good. _I_ use it to render ALL my mp3
> files. It is still the VERY FUCKING BEST mp3 render available anywhere.
>
> So all you fucking "modernists" can all go take a long fucking walk on
> a short fucking pier.
>
> Software NEVER dies. GNU/Linux will live forever while Microslop
> withers like a rotten egg.

I would reccomend ffmpeg, it's a pretty good swiss army knife for
video/audio processing, and I'm *pretty sure* it has mp3 support?
It was also last updated last month, so it still has plenty of
development. I don't know very many "abandoned" softwares that
are still in common use, but usually they are fine to use.
Just keep in mind what exploits it has!

Also, plenty of old software is under active development and are
still in common use today, like tar, gimp, audacity, everything in
coreutils, and X11.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<us4rfk$37phe$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11102&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11102

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:05:08 -0000 (UTC)

Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote at 19:44 this Sunday (GMT):
> Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote:
>
>>mp3 render
>

> The cool kids use Audacious, which is superior to the best Windows
> audio player (IMO that being Winamp).

Audacious does have a really nice UI. I personally prefer mpv if
I'm not putting something on in the background, though.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<us4sil$37ugc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11106&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11106

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 11:23:52 -0500
 by: DFS - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:23 UTC

On 3/3/2024 2:44 PM, Joel wrote:
> Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote:
>
>> mp3 render
>

> The cool kids use Audacious, which is superior to the best Windows
> audio player (IMO that being Winamp).

Audacious has a Windows version.

"When comparing Winamp vs Audacious, the Slant community recommends
Winamp for most people. In the question“What are the best audio players
for Windows?” Winamp is ranked 5th while Audacious is ranked 20th. The
most important reason people chose Winamp is:

Modern features are essential for power listeners nowadays, proving that
Winamp (while an old app) still offers features users look for in a
modern player."

https://www.slant.co/versus/1428/7233/~winamp_vs_audacious

I end up listening to music mostly thru YouTube videos.

such as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeDMnyQzS88

That's a boss right there!

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<e8ubuip7clset3t1s6q1mksgr1lrj9m9r3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11109&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11109

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 11:40:14 -0500
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:40 UTC

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>On 3/3/2024 2:44 PM, Joel wrote:
>> Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote:
>>
>>> mp3 render
>>
>> The cool kids use Audacious, which is superior to the best Windows
>> audio player (IMO that being Winamp).
>
>Audacious has a Windows version.

Well, a lot of "Windows versions" of FOSS GUI apps are not really as
good as under Unix-like.

>"When comparing Winamp vs Audacious, the Slant community recommends
>Winamp for most people. In the question“What are the best audio players
>for Windows?” Winamp is ranked 5th while Audacious is ranked 20th. The
>most important reason people chose Winamp is:
>
>Modern features are essential for power listeners nowadays, proving that
>Winamp (while an old app) still offers features users look for in a
>modern player."
>
>https://www.slant.co/versus/1428/7233/~winamp_vs_audacious

But that's not including running Audacious under Linux/etc. It's
skewed to your Winblows BS.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<hlvbui9c0b44g4ml2i6spq65gcsqmvjulb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11110&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11110

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 12:03:39 -0500
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:03 UTC

candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
wrote:

>> Audacious [...] is superior to the best Windows
>> audio player (IMO that being Winamp).
>
>Audacious does have a really nice UI. I personally prefer mpv if
>I'm not putting something on in the background, though.

mpv is nice, I would probably use it for video.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<us4vs8$38p3n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11111&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11111

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:20:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:20 UTC

Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote at 17:03 this Monday (GMT):
> candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>
> wrote:
>
>>> Audacious [...] is superior to the best Windows
>>> audio player (IMO that being Winamp).
>>
>>Audacious does have a really nice UI. I personally prefer mpv if
>>I'm not putting something on in the background, though.
>

> mpv is nice, I would probably use it for video.

Yeah, I like the UI and it actually loads DVD's faster (since it
loads up the longest track on the disk instead of starting the
menu. I still have VNC if I want/need to have proper menu nav.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<lk1cuidvgmnbqgt0gflq4h09c3vkaelejg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11112&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11112

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 12:39:19 -0500
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:39 UTC

wrote:

>>>I personally prefer mpv if
>>>I'm not putting something on in the background, though.
>>
>> mpv is nice, I would probably use it for video.
>
>Yeah, I like the UI and it actually loads DVD's faster (since it
>loads up the longest track on the disk instead of starting the
>menu. I still have VNC if I want/need to have proper menu nav.

My motherboard has SATA but I specifically did not reuse nor buy a new
DVD drive for this computer, the case has a solid front side which
looks cool without a fugly DVD drive. I only needed a thumb drive to
install Win10/11 and Mint. The only internal drive I have is the NVMe
PCI-e3 SSD.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<us52ig$3949a$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11116&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11116

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 13:06:08 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:06 UTC

candycanearter07 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote at 19:44 this Sunday (GMT):
>> Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote:
>>
>>>mp3 render
>>
>> The cool kids use Audacious, which is superior to the best Windows
>> audio player (IMO that being Winamp).
>
> Audacious does have a really nice UI. I personally prefer mpv if
> I'm not putting something on in the background, though.

I use MPD with the ncmpcpp curses front-end.

And I bind mpc commands to a few keys for playback, etc.

I used a GUI mpd front-end for awhile and it was nice, but more than I needed.

--
You have the power to influence all with whom you come in contact.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<l4mhshF2isgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11119&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11119

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 4 Mar 2024 18:23:13 GMT
 by: rbowman - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:23 UTC

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:05:07 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07 wrote:

> Also, plenty of old software is under active development and are still
> in common use today, like tar, gimp, audacity, everything in coreutils,
> and X11.

X11's obituary is a little premature. I use QGIS which is updated
frequently. On Fedora it warns it has detected Wayland and might have some
strange behavior. It mostly has to do with undocked dialogs which is a
weakness of the Wayland protocol.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<us58li$3an14$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11122&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11122

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 19:50:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 19:50 UTC

Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote at 17:39 this Monday (GMT):
> candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>

>>> mpv is nice, I would probably use it for video.
>>
>>Yeah, I like the UI and it actually loads DVD's faster (since it
>>loads up the longest track on the disk instead of starting the
>>menu. I still have VNC if I want/need to have proper menu nav.
>

> My motherboard has SATA but I specifically did not reuse nor buy a new
> DVD drive for this computer, the case has a solid front side which
> looks cool without a fugly DVD drive. I only needed a thumb drive to
> install Win10/11 and Mint. The only internal drive I have is the NVMe
> PCI-e3 SSD.

I have a usb disk reader I use sometimes.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<us58li$3an14$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11123&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11123

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 19:50:11 -0000 (UTC)

Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote at 18:06 this Monday (GMT):
> candycanearter07 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote at 19:44 this Sunday (GMT):

>>> The cool kids use Audacious, which is superior to the best Windows
>>> audio player (IMO that being Winamp).
>>
>> Audacious does have a really nice UI. I personally prefer mpv if
>> I'm not putting something on in the background, though.
>
> I use MPD with the ncmpcpp curses front-end.
>
> And I bind mpc commands to a few keys for playback, etc.
>
> I used a GUI mpd front-end for awhile and it was nice, but more than I needed.

Looked it up, that UI looks pretty cool :D

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<qnmcuili7jgcrhttnbssn2skr5os068imi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11130&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11130

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 18:38:04 -0500
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 23:38 UTC

wrote:

>>>I like [mpv's] UI and it actually loads DVD's faster (since it
>>>loads up the longest track on the disk instead of starting the
>>>menu. I still have VNC if I want/need to have proper menu nav.
>>
>> My motherboard has SATA but I specifically did not reuse nor buy a new
>> DVD drive for this computer, the case has a solid front side which
>> looks cool without a fugly DVD drive. I only needed a thumb drive to
>> install Win10/11 and Mint. The only internal drive I have is the NVMe
>> PCI-e3 SSD.
>
>I have a usb disk reader I use sometimes.

They are better at this point in history. Optical media used to be an
essential, which is pretty quaint today.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<us5qqi$3e2c2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11131&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11131

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 01:00:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 01:00 UTC

Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote at 23:38 this Monday (GMT):
> candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>

>>> My motherboard has SATA but I specifically did not reuse nor buy a new
>>> DVD drive for this computer, the case has a solid front side which
>>> looks cool without a fugly DVD drive. I only needed a thumb drive to
>>> install Win10/11 and Mint. The only internal drive I have is the NVMe
>>> PCI-e3 SSD.
>>
>>I have a usb disk reader I use sometimes.
>

> They are better at this point in history. Optical media used to be an
> essential, which is pretty quaint today.

Yeah maybe, but I rent movies from my local library sometimes.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<1m4euip87n7ohnsm593upulm2v204kps8o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11146&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11146

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 07:45:05 -0500
OS: Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, with Wine 9.0 for WinAPI
 by: Joel - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 12:45 UTC

wrote:

>>>I have a usb disk reader I use sometimes.
>>
>> They are better at this point in history. Optical media used to be an
>> essential, which is pretty quaint today.
>
>Yeah maybe, but I rent movies from my local library sometimes.

Well that's the thing, an external DVD drive can handle that part of
it, whereas you don't need the ability to boot an optical disk, so why
put yourself through installing an internal, and powering it. I have
thought about the possibility of getting an external, if I wanted to
go through my DVDs, but then I never do anyway. Could also have
finally moved my DVD/SACD player from my mom's house, but since
replacing my old computer which had an internal BD-RE, haven't felt an
urge to do that.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<us7g53$3re8v$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11152&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11152

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 16:10:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 16:10 UTC

Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote at 12:45 this Tuesday (GMT):
> candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>

>>> They are better at this point in history. Optical media used to be an
>>> essential, which is pretty quaint today.
>>
>>Yeah maybe, but I rent movies from my local library sometimes.
>

> Well that's the thing, an external DVD drive can handle that part of
> it, whereas you don't need the ability to boot an optical disk, so why
> put yourself through installing an internal, and powering it. I have

I have never done a CD boot before.

> thought about the possibility of getting an external, if I wanted to
> go through my DVDs, but then I never do anyway. Could also have
> finally moved my DVD/SACD player from my mom's house, but since
> replacing my old computer which had an internal BD-RE, haven't felt an
> urge to do that.

Fair. I hardly use my DVD reader outside movies anyway.

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<us81ri$vq9u$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11161&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11161

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 15:12:18 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:12 UTC

On 3/5/2024 6:45 AM, Joel wrote:
> candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid>

>>> They are better at this point in history. Optical media used to be an
>>> essential, which is pretty quaint today.
>>
>> Yeah maybe, but I rent movies from my local library sometimes.
>

> Well that's the thing, an external DVD drive can handle that part of
> it, whereas you don't need the ability to boot an optical disk, so why
> put yourself through installing an internal, and powering it. I have
> thought about the possibility of getting an external, if I wanted to
> go through my DVDs, but then I never do anyway. Could also have
> finally moved my DVD/SACD player from my mom's house, but since
> replacing my old computer which had an internal BD-RE, haven't felt an
> urge to do that.

I don't even use a dvd drive. The place of it is empty.

For movies, there's always pirate bay :)

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<65eb770a$0$6449$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11649&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11649

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 08 Mar 2024 20:37:30 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:37 UTC

Le 03-03-2024, Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> a écrit :
> Stéphane CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:
>
>>But a mp3 render is for poor quality sound, so even the best one is
>>useless.
>

> Most of the CDDAs I ripped myself are MP3 files,

You do what you want, I don't care. It's just bad quality.

> and they are what Amazon.com sells digitally for local download.

It's way too expansive for what it is.

> Whether you think it's inferior

It's not a belief, it's a fact.

> (which depends on the settings and encoder used)

There is lost in the compression, it doesn't depend on the encoder but
on the format. And the loss is bad to the ear when one want quality.

> it's still a component of PC sound.

A PC sound is not a good quality sound. You do what you want. If it's
good enough for you, that's fine with me. It's just not good quality,
there is nothing wrong with that, you do what you want.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<65eb77da$0$6449$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11651&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11651

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 08 Mar 2024 20:40:58 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:40 UTC

Le 04-03-2024, candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> a écrit :
> Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote at 19:41 this Sunday (GMT):
>>
>> But it is still mighty fucking good. _I_ use it to render ALL my mp3
>> files. It is still the VERY FUCKING BEST mp3 render available anywhere.
>
> and I'm *pretty sure* it has mp3 support?

What for? You are answering to someone who wants the best. And mp3 is
far from the best. So, it's useless to him.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: For All The Fucking Modernists

<usge5d$20aea$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11667&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11667

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 01:31:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 01:31 UTC

Stéphane CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr> wrote at 20:40 this Friday (GMT):
> Le 04-03-2024, candycanearter07 <candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid> a écrit :
>> Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote at 19:41 this Sunday (GMT):
>>>
>>> But it is still mighty fucking good. _I_ use it to render ALL my mp3
>>> files. It is still the VERY FUCKING BEST mp3 render available anywhere.
>>
>> and I'm *pretty sure* it has mp3 support?
>
> What for? You are answering to someone who wants the best. And mp3 is
> far from the best. So, it's useless to him.

Maybe they could only find mp3's of what they wanted to listen to.