Base 8 is just like base 10, if you are missing two fingers. -- Tom Lehrer

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: Replace the wall outlet.

SubjectAuthor
* Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.Farley Flud
+- Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.-hh
+* Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.Physfitfreak
|+* Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.Physfitfreak
||`* Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.Stéphane CARPENTIER
|| `- Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.Physfitfreak
|`* Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.Farley Flud
| +* Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.Physfitfreak
| |`- Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.Physfitfreak
| `- Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.Stéphane CARPENTIER
+- Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.Tyrone
+- Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.DFS
+- Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.Stéphane CARPENTIER
`* Re: Replace the wall outlet.Stéphane CARPENTIER
 +- Re: Replace the wall outlet.%
 `- Re: Replace the wall outlet.Physfitfreak

1
Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<17b9aee122062ee1$6$2175118$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11127&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11127

From: ff@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Subject: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 22:03:35 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:03 UTC

Greetings GNU/Linux enthusiasts (Microslop/Apphole lackeys
can fucking kiss off).

I have a problem. On older electrical extension cords the
plug end (male end) was made of two copper strips that were
folded together. This construction allowed a screwdriver,
or other thin object, to be inserted between the strips and
thus widen the gap between them so that a tighter connection
could be made to the standard wall outlet.

This was true not only for extension cords but for all electrical
plug (male) connectors.

Now, it seems that things have changed. Plugs are now made
from two single metal strip that cannot be pried apart. As
a result the connection with the wall outlet is often loose
and flimsy and nothing can be done to improve the connection.

What is the reason for this change?

Is this just another example of Chinese goods race to the
bottom?

I want the older style plug. Where can I get them?

What does this have to do with GNU/Linux?

I'll allow you, smart fuck, to figure it out.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<112021858.731299309.670994.recscuba_google-huntzinger.com@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11136&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11136

From: recscuba_google@huntzinger.com (-hh)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 21:47:21 -0500
sha1:BPPnPmvxJSir7dtlzV+5CE8/+ro=
 by: -hh - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 02:47 UTC

Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> wrote:
> Greetings GNU/Linux enthusiasts (Microslop/Apphole lackeys
> can fucking kiss off).

Too bad you don’t get that choice.

> I have a problem.

Shocking! /s

> On older electrical extension cords the
> plug end (male end) was made of two copper strips that were
> folded together. This construction allowed a screwdriver,
> or other thin object, to be inserted between the strips and
> thus widen the gap between them so that a tighter connection
> could be made to the standard wall outlet.
>
> This was true not only for extension cords but for all electrical
> plug (male) connectors.

Nah, it wasn’t universal.

> Now, it seems that things have changed. Plugs are now made
> from two single metal strip that cannot be pried apart. As
> a result the connection with the wall outlet is often loose
> and flimsy and nothing can be done to improve the connection.
>
> What is the reason for this change?

It’s because of Linux (just to stay on topic).

> Is this just another example of Chinese goods race to the
> bottom?

Nope.

> I want the older style plug. Where can I get them?

Scavenge off of old lamps, etc.

> What does this have to do with GNU/Linux?
>
> I'll allow you, smart fuck, to figure it out.
>
> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

What’s to figure out is how many years transpired without you noticing the
change.

-hh

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<us67ll$ut30$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11139&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11139

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:39:17 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 04:39 UTC

On 3/4/2024 4:03 PM, Farley Flud wrote:
> What is the reason for this change?

The newer type is simpler, yet good enough for the Sheep.

You can improvise, although usually by the time you notice the looseness
the internal sparks have damaged the receptacle.

If receptacle is still functional and safe, then use two locking pliers,
one of them a needle-nose, and bend the tip around the axis of the strip
a little bit. You're good to go.

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<us680u$ut30$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11140&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11140

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:45:18 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 04:45 UTC

On 3/4/2024 10:39 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:
> On 3/4/2024 4:03 PM, Farley Flud wrote:
>> What is the reason for this change?
>

> The newer type is simpler, yet good enough for the Sheep.
>
> You can improvise, although usually by the time you notice the looseness
> the internal sparks have damaged the receptacle.
>
> If receptacle is still functional and safe, then use two locking pliers,
> one of them a needle-nose, and bend the tip around the axis of the strip
> a little bit. You're good to go.

If the main contact area is towards the middle of the strip, then use
three needle-nose locking pliers and bend the mid part of the strip
instead of the tip.

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<G4adneqGOJfnNHv4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11142&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11142

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 05:11:22 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 05:11 UTC

On Mar 4, 2024 at 5:03:35 PM EST, "Farley Flud" <ff@linux.rocks> wrote:

> Now, it seems that things have changed. Plugs are now made
> from two single metal strip that cannot be pried apart. As
> a result the connection with the wall outlet is often loose
> and flimsy and nothing can be done to improve the connection.

For an alleged "great programmer/problem solver", it is amazing how you can't
solve simple problems.

Take pliers and either bend both plugs slightly towards each other, or bend
them slightly further apart. And/Or give them a slight twist along the
length.

The connection will be tightened.

Once again, the ability to apply logic to a problem is beyond you.

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<17b9d62ad9b5450e$69479$1340741$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11144&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11144

From: ff@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 10:03:33 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 10:03 UTC

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:39:17 -0600, Physfitfreak wrote:

> If receptacle is still functional and safe, then use two locking pliers,
> one of them a needle-nose, and bend the tip around the axis of the strip
> a little bit. You're good to go.

The solution is far from optimal.

The standard plug and receptacle are designed to provide a maximum
area of contact along the two metal strips. For high current
applications this is critical.

In the past, if the connection was loose, the strips could be pried
apart and this would not decrease the contact area.

Now, by bending the strip, a tighter connection but also a reduced
contact area will result.

Passing high current (e.g. microwave oven or space heater) through
a smaller area is not good.

I want to know why this manufacturing change has occurred. I suspect
that Chinese offshoring and MBA cost cutting has caused a race to
the bottom in terms of quality.

This race to the bottom is also why most cords are now aluminum
instead of copper.

Copper prices have gone way up due to the demand for copper from
all the sexually impotent gun fanatics who need their brass
cartridge pacifiers. Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop! There goes another
5 pounds of copper never to be seen again.

Ha, ha, ha! Don't buy Home Depot.

I find it so amusing when the Home Depot recommendation algorithm
will advise the buyer to purchase a 16-gauge power cord with his
13-amp snow blower or lawnmower. Passing 13 amps through a 16-gauge
cord will literally melt the snow or burn the grass.

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<65e742ae$0$2137427$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11153&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11153

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 11:05:05 -0500
From: dfs@nospam.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
 by: DFS - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 16:05 UTC

On 3/4/2024 5:03 PM, Loathsome Larry wrote:

> Plugs are now made
> from two single metal strip that cannot be pried apart. As
> a result the connection with the wall outlet is often loose
> and flimsy and nothing can be done to improve the connection.

First thing is install new $2.65 Decora outlets and $1 midway-size cover
plates all throughout your depressing, womanless hovel. Brighten it up
a bit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-15-Amp-Residential-Grade-Self-Grounding-Duplex-Outlet-White-R52-05325-0WS/100357024

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-1-Gang-Midway-Nylon-Wall-Plate-White-R62-0PJ26-00W/100356918

I've installed over 100 such outlets (and ~50 switches) thru the years.
They look nice and modern, and the outlets almost always give a secure
grip, even for the old 2-prong plugs.

Use an outlet tester while switching out receptacles, of course.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Receptacle-Tester-RT110/206517828

> What does this have to do with GNU/Linux?

GuhNoo/Linux crapware also gets loose and obsolete and noisy. So do
cheap hookers. And Ford vehicles.

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<usaatr$11bir$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11221&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11221

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 11:59:23 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:59 UTC

On 3/5/2024 4:03 AM, Farley Flud wrote:
> Now, by bending the strip, a tighter connection but also a reduced
> contact area will result.

Then improvise differently.

Use the right electrolyte and pass electricity through to deposit iron
atoms on both strips at once, to the desired thickness.

Don't know how? Then do it the poor man's way which might work even
better. Find thin little sheets of iron (old stove-pipe, etc), cut a
piece the right size and shape, fold and wrap it once over the entire
strip. Then press it hard with a long handle-grip pliers to forge it
firmly in place.

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<usag1r$11bir$4@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11227&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11227

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:26:52 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:26 UTC

On 3/6/2024 11:59 AM, Physfitfreak wrote:
> On 3/5/2024 4:03 AM, Farley Flud wrote:
>> Now, by bending the strip, a tighter connection but also a reduced
>> contact area will result.
>
> Then improvise differently.
>
> Use the right electrolyte and pass electricity through to deposit iron
> atoms on both strips at once, to the desired thickness.
>
> Don't know how? Then do it the poor man's way which might work even
> better. Find thin little sheets of iron (old stove-pipe, etc), cut a
> piece the right size and shape, fold and wrap it once over the entire
> strip. Then press it hard with a long handle-grip pliers to forge it
> firmly in place.

The electrolyte method works even better with your beloved copper :)

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<65eb7a91$0$11911$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11653&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11653

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 08 Mar 2024 20:52:33 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:52 UTC

Le 04-03-2024, Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> a écrit :

> I'll allow you, smart fuck, to figure it out.

That's easy: you want to win a Darwin award. But I wont help you for
that.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Replace the wall outlet.

<65eb7afc$0$11911$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11654&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11654

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Subject: Re: Replace the wall outlet.
Date: 08 Mar 2024 20:54:20 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:54 UTC

Le 05-03-2024, Relf <Usenet@Jeff-Relf.Me> a écrit :
> DetroitsFinest:
>> the connection with the wall outlet is often loose
>> and flimsy and nothing can be done to improve the connection.
>
> Replace the wall outlet; don't buy the cheapest one.

If he dies following your advice, you'll be directly responsible. You
could be charged for that. You should be careful.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<65eb7b47$0$11911$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11655&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11655

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 08 Mar 2024 20:55:35 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:55 UTC

Le 05-03-2024, Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com> a écrit :
> On 3/4/2024 10:39 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:
>> On 3/4/2024 4:03 PM, Farley Flud wrote:
>>> What is the reason for this change?
>>

>> The newer type is simpler, yet good enough for the Sheep.
>>
>> You can improvise, although usually by the time you notice the looseness
>> the internal sparks have damaged the receptacle.
>>
>> If receptacle is still functional and safe, then use two locking pliers,
>> one of them a needle-nose, and bend the tip around the axis of the strip
>> a little bit. You're good to go.
>
> If the main contact area is towards the middle of the strip, then use
> three needle-nose locking pliers and bend the mid part of the strip
> instead of the tip.

Try not to kill your master. You would be alone after that.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Replace the wall outlet.

<raScnXaLN6zM5nb4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11656&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11656

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: pursent100@gmail.com (%)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:55:45 -0700
 by: % - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:55 UTC

Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
> Le 05-03-2024, Relf <Usenet@Jeff-Relf.Me> a écrit :
>> DetroitsFinest:
>>> the connection with the wall outlet is often loose
>>> and flimsy and nothing can be done to improve the connection.
>>
>> Replace the wall outlet; don't buy the cheapest one.
>
> If he dies following your advice, you'll be directly responsible. You
> could be charged for that. You should be careful.

don't be foolish enough to take advice on usenet

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<65eb7b9c$0$11911$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11657&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11657

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 08 Mar 2024 20:57:00 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:57 UTC

Le 05-03-2024, Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> a écrit :
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:39:17 -0600, Physfitfreak wrote:
>

>> If receptacle is still functional and safe, then use two locking pliers,
>> one of them a needle-nose, and bend the tip around the axis of the strip
>> a little bit. You're good to go.
>>

> The solution is far from optimal.

You are still alive? Good. The toy is not broken yet.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Need Help. Modern Electrica Plugs.

<usfvl0$13qps$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11660&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11660

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:23:45 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 21:23 UTC

On 3/8/2024 2:55 PM, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
> Le 05-03-2024, Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>>

>>> The newer type is simpler, yet good enough for the Sheep.
>>>
>>> You can improvise, although usually by the time you notice the looseness
>>> the internal sparks have damaged the receptacle.
>>>
>>> If receptacle is still functional and safe, then use two locking pliers,
>>> one of them a needle-nose, and bend the tip around the axis of the strip
>>> a little bit. You're good to go.
>>
>> If the main contact area is towards the middle of the strip, then use
>> three needle-nose locking pliers and bend the mid part of the strip
>> instead of the tip.
>
> Try not to kill your master. You would be alone after that.

I do quite well alone. You should know that. You're my dick's groupie.

Re: Replace the wall outlet.

<usg04i$13qps$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11661&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#11661

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:32:02 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 21:32 UTC

On 3/8/2024 2:54 PM, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
> Le 05-03-2024, Relf <Usenet@Jeff-Relf.Me> a écrit :
>> DetroitsFinest:
>>> the connection with the wall outlet is often loose
>>> and flimsy and nothing can be done to improve the connection.
>>
>> Replace the wall outlet; don't buy the cheapest one.
>
> If he dies following your advice, you'll be directly responsible. You
> could be charged for that. You should be careful.

He's already dead in spirit. You only think he's alive.

Not only that, but he got himself very close to have his fat ass handed
to him "Iran-backed" by the Palestinian community in Seattle. That wised
him up a bit.