PURGE COMPLETE.

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,' gets turned into white woman

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,'Nicki Hatfield Elson makethings
+- Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,'Don Stockbauer
`* Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,'Don Stockbauer
 `* Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,'Don Stockbauer
  `- Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,'Don Stockbauer

1
Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,' gets turned into white woman

<b896f751-9781-4381-a336-70caf5ed754cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11625&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11625

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 09:10:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,'
gets turned into white woman
From: makethingsn@gmail.com (Nicki Hatfield Elson makethings)
 by: Nicki Hatfield Elson - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 16:10 UTC

On Saturday, August 5, 2023 at 12:36:09 AM UTC+1, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
> [...]
> generators. In a recent attempt, she purportedly used a program called
> Playground AI to turn an image of her in an MIT sweatshirt into “a
> professional LinkedIn profile photo.”
>
> What she got: The program, to Wang’s surprise, returned an image that gave
> her a fairer complexion, dark blonde hair and blue eyes.
>
> “I was like, ‘Wow, does this thing think I should become white to become
> more professional?’” she told Boston.com.
>
> Reactions: On July 14, Wang shared the result in an X post, which has now
> received over 5.9 million views.
>
> Social media users replied to the post with their own takes and theories.
> Druv Bhagavan, a M.D./Ph.D. student at Washington University School of
> Medicine in St. Louis, warned about delegating important tasks to AI tools
> as “unbiased training data is rarely ever used.” Meanwhile, user
> @CityBureaucrat wrote, “AI stands for Aryan Intelligence.”
>
> Playground AI’s response: Responding to Wang’s post, Playground AI founder
> Suhail Doshi said that “models aren’t instructable like that” and will
> pick “any generic thing based on the prompt.” However, he said in another
> tweet that Playground AI is “quite displeased with this and hope to solve
> it.”
>
> More from NextShark: Plastic Surgeon Proves 'Fox Eye' Trend Was Sparked By
> Asian Features on TikTok
>
> The big picture: Racial bias is an ongoing concern in AI-generated images..
> While some programs have been accused of turning subjects white, others
> have been slammed for turning subjects Asian. Outside image generation,
> racial discrimination in AI facial recognition is also a concern,
> particularly among African Americans. How and whether artificial
> intelligence manages to solve these issues are yet to be seen.
>
> passby
>
> Well, I am an Asian American. Do we even think about that it is possible
> that AI has no concept of race? Meaning it will just select the most
> popular portraits and kinda fit it into her frame.
>
> Justin A
>
> that would take complex thought and practical analysis. It's far easier to
> be outraged over some perceived slight.
>

> --
> We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
> stupid people won't be offended.
>
> Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.
>
> No collusion - Special Counsel Robert Swan Mueller III, March 2019.
> Officially made Nancy Pelosi a two-time impeachment loser.
>
> Thank you for cleaning up the disaster of the 2008-2017 Obama / Biden
> fiasco, President Trump.
>
> Under Barack Obama's leadership, the United States of America became the
> The World According To Garp. Obama sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood
> queer liberal democrat donors.
>
> President Trump boosted the economy, reduced illegal invasions, appointed
> dozens of judges and three SCOTUS justices.

Race can be difficult to identify using language. In Britain its not unusual to say somebody is Oriental, while US readers will say a person is Asian. Similarly Indian to UK could mean near East, while to US an Indian Native to the States.

Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,' gets turned into white woman

<cb8c6ac4-a059-44cf-bbbb-db02484f91e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11626&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11626

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 02:55:50 -0700 (PDT)
gets turned into white woman
From: donstockbauer@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 09:55 UTC

On Sunday, August 6, 2023 at 11:10:15 AM UTC-5, Nicki Hatfield Elson makethings wrote:
> [...]
> > stupid people won't be offended.
> >
> > Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.
> >
> > No collusion - Special Counsel Robert Swan Mueller III, March 2019.
> > Officially made Nancy Pelosi a two-time impeachment loser.
> >
> > Thank you for cleaning up the disaster of the 2008-2017 Obama / Biden
> > fiasco, President Trump.
> >
> > Under Barack Obama's leadership, the United States of America became the
> > The World According To Garp. Obama sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood
> > queer liberal democrat donors.
> >
> > President Trump boosted the economy, reduced illegal invasions, appointed
> > dozens of judges and three SCOTUS justices.
> Race can be difficult to identify using language. In Britain its not unusual to say somebody is Oriental, while US readers will say a person is Asian. Similarly Indian to UK could mean near East, while to US an Indian Native to the States.

are you sure about that?

Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,' gets turned into white woman

<7b6ba3c8-852e-4908-a155-c77f4b8def22n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11637&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11637

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 09:26:01 -0700 (PDT)
gets turned into white woman
From: donstockbauer@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 16:26 UTC

> [...]
> > stupid people won't be offended.
> >
> > Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.
> >
> > No collusion - Special Counsel Robert Swan Mueller III, March 2019.
> > Officially made Nancy Pelosi a two-time impeachment loser.
> >
> > Thank you for cleaning up the disaster of the 2008-2017 Obama / Biden
> > fiasco, President Trump.
> >
> > Under Barack Obama's leadership, the United States of America became the
> > The World According To Garp. Obama sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood
> > queer liberal democrat donors.
> >
> > President Trump boosted the economy, reduced illegal invasions, appointed
> > dozens of judges and three SCOTUS justices.
> Race can be difficult to identify using language. In Britain its not unusual to say somebody is Oriental, while US readers will say a person is Asian. Similarly Indian to UK could mean near East, while to US an Indian Native to the States.

you hit the nail just exactly on the head which is good because if you missed the head of the nail it doesn't get driven in

Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,' gets turned into white woman

<16e653de-3bd2-4dc1-877d-cd68bbcfdfa3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11640&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11640

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 12:18:05 -0700 (PDT)
gets turned into white woman
From: donstockbauer@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 19:18 UTC

On Wednesday, August 9, 2023 at 11:26:03 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> [...]
> > > Officially made Nancy Pelosi a two-time impeachment loser.
> > >
> > > Thank you for cleaning up the disaster of the 2008-2017 Obama / Biden
> > > fiasco, President Trump.
> > >
> > > Under Barack Obama's leadership, the United States of America became the
> > > The World According To Garp. Obama sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood
> > > queer liberal democrat donors.
> > >
> > > President Trump boosted the economy, reduced illegal invasions, appointed
> > > dozens of judges and three SCOTUS justices.
> > Race can be difficult to identify using language. In Britain its not unusual to say somebody is Oriental, while US readers will say a person is Asian. Similarly Indian to UK could mean near East, while to US an Indian Native to the States.
> you hit the nail just exactly on the head which is good because if you missed the head of the nail it doesn't get driven in

If you would just communicate with me, we could establish some sort of rapport, and come to some kind of resolution of the present situation, which would be mutually agreeable to both of us, and aren't I good, tossing words out there making a word salad just like everyone else does?

Re: Asian MIT grad asks AI to make her photo more 'professional,' gets turned into white woman

<b220a147-4fb3-44b0-aca6-e189fa18c4b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11650&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11650

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 08:19:18 -0700 (PDT)
gets turned into white woman
From: donstockbauer@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 15:19 UTC

On Wednesday, August 9, 2023 at 2:18:08 PM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 9, 2023 at 11:26:03 AM UTC-5, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> > > Race can be difficult to identify using language. In Britain its not unusual to say somebody is Oriental, while US readers will say a person is Asian. Similarly Indian to UK could mean near East, while to US an Indian Native to the States.
> > you hit the nail just exactly on the head which is good because if you missed the head of the nail it doesn't get driven in
> If you would just communicate with me, we could establish some sort of rapport, and come to some kind of resolution of the present situation, which would be mutually agreeable to both of us, and aren't I good, tossing words out there making a word salad just like everyone else does?
p since you give your full name here, I looked it up and you've done some beautiful artwork. I could only hope that you would paint my portrait
and then send it to me and I would pay you what I thought it was worth because doing it the other way, like me sending you money ahead of time then you might never sent a Portrait or like if you send a Portrait, and then I send you money but that doesn't sound too fair because I'm kind of at the advantage here because if I want to be the rotten guy that everybody thinks I am I would just cheat you out of the portrait so gosh it looks like maybe the real solution to it is is to just not send a portrait. and it makes you wonder how humans ever get anything done because it's just easier not to unless it means their lives like probably people want to go out and be farmers and raise crops which is probably more industrious than social media.