From: seth@home.sethhurst.com (seth Hurst)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: setup local news server for browsing rest of usenet
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 18:30:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: seth Hurst - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 18:30 UTC

Is it possible to setup inn with the active newsgroups file found at
ftp.isc.org? Want to be able to browse usenet on my own server then
subscribe to the groups I want and get messages for them.
Would leafnode be better for this?

Re: setup local news server for browsing rest of usenet

<nsn.20220904231700.1230@scatha.ancalagon.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1156&group=news.software.nntp#1156

From: thh@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 23:17:03 +0200
 by: Thomas Hochstein - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 21:17 UTC

seth Hurst schrieb:

> Is it possible to setup inn with the active newsgroups file found at
> ftp.isc.org?

Yes, of course.

> Want to be able to browse usenet on my own server then
> subscribe to the groups I want and get messages for them.

To get messages you'll need to peer with other servers.

> Would leafnode be better for this?

Most probably.

Re: setup local news server for browsing rest of usenet

<tf55um.2ss.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1157&group=news.software.nntp#1157

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: 5 Sep 2022 13:52:02 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 13:52 UTC

seth Hurst <seth@home.sethhurst.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to setup inn with the active newsgroups file found at
> ftp.isc.org? Want to be able to browse usenet on my own server then
> subscribe to the groups I want and get messages for them.
> Would leafnode be better for this?

INN would be an overkill and leafnode would indeed be much more suited
for your scenario.

I run Hamster (on Windows) for a similar purpose and have run INN
professionally in a previous life, so I can compare the usefulness of a
News 'proxy' like leafnode/Hamster with The Real Thing (TM).

If you have any questions on leafnode, they're probably best asked in
news.software.readers.

HTH and good luck.