<chesty> xemacs fixed my flatulence -- From the "XEmacs: Not just an editor" department

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: Legit emails always tagged as spam

SubjectAuthor
* Legit emails always tagged as spamGabriele - onenet
+- Legit emails always tagged as spamAndrew
+- Legit emails always tagged as spam...winston
`* Legit emails always tagged as spamDaniel65
 `* Legit emails always tagged as spamGabriele - onenet
  +- Legit emails always tagged as spamDaniel65
  +- Legit emails always tagged as spamAndrew
  `- Legit emails always tagged as spamNFN Smith

1
Legit emails always tagged as spam

<jyTZM.668820$jff3.411162@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1125&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1125

From: infots@onenet.it (Gabriele - onenet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Legit emails always tagged as spam
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:55:27 GMT
 by: Gabriele - onenet - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:55 UTC

Hello all,

everyday I receive emails from the same trusted senders (eg: LinkedIn) and
they almost all go in the spam folder.
Is it possible to identify if it's SeaMoneky or my email provider that
continue to erroneously tag them as spam?

Thank you!

Re: Legit emails always tagged as spam

<uh91f3$1gnml$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1126&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1126

From: Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: Legit emails always tagged as spam
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:12:51 +0200
 by: Andrew - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:12 UTC

Gabriele - onenet wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> everyday I receive emails from the same trusted senders (eg: LinkedIn) and
> they almost all go in the spam folder.
> Is it possible to identify if it's SeaMoneky or my email provider that
> continue to erroneously tag them as spam?
>
> Thank you!

When you say your "spam folder", you mean the "Junk" folder under your
Inbox? If emails are landing there they match the same criteria as some
mails you previously designated as Spam.
If they are landing in some other folder - especially one which is not
on your machine - then it's your email provider.

Re: Legit emails always tagged as spam

<uh985v$5jvr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1127&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1127

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 16:07:26 -0400
 by: ...winston - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:07 UTC

Gabriele - onenet wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> everyday I receive emails from the same trusted senders (eg: LinkedIn) and
> they almost all go in the spam folder.
> Is it possible to identify if it's SeaMoneky or my email provider that
> continue to erroneously tag them as spam?
>
> Thank you!

POP3 or IMAP in SeaMonkey

Safe list the sender in your online email provider account.

Check your local settings in SeaMonkey
- consider adding the sender to your Address book and ensure that your
Personal Address book is being trusted(Don't mark email as Junk for
Personal Address book entries)
- it may be necessary to reset the 'training' ins SM Global
preferences for Junk and Suspect Mail and.or Adaptive Junk Mail filtering.
--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Legit emails always tagged as spam

<uha50n$gv8s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1128&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1128

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 15:19:33 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 04:19 UTC

Gabriele - onenet wrote on 25/10/2023 4:55 am:
> Hello all,
>
> everyday I receive emails from the same trusted senders (eg:
> LinkedIn) and they almost all go in the spam folder. Is it possible
> to identify if it's SeaMoneky or my email provider that continue to
> erroneously tag them as spam?
>
> Thank you!

Sort of like what Winston suggested, but, if you go to which ever folder
your message is switched to, do you see a "Not Spam"-type button??

If so, try it. This might help 'train' your Spam/Junk Filter.
--
Daniel

Re: Legit emails always tagged as spam

<q36_M.663329$VAg.205297@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1129&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1129

From: infots@onenet.it (Gabriele - onenet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 10:26:30 GMT
 by: Gabriele - onenet - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 10:26 UTC

On 25 Oct 2023 at 06:19:33 CEST, "Daniel65" <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:

> Gabriele - onenet wrote on 25/10/2023 4:55 am:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> everyday I receive emails from the same trusted senders (eg:
>> LinkedIn) and they almost all go in the spam folder. Is it possible
>> to identify if it's SeaMoneky or my email provider that continue to
>> erroneously tag them as spam?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
> Sort of like what Winston suggested, but, if you go to which ever folder
> your message is switched to, do you see a "Not Spam"-type button??
>
> If so, try it. This might help 'train' your Spam/Junk Filter.

The accounts are all IMAP.
Spam/scam emails are moved automatically to the designated folder called
"Spam?" on my accounts.
The settings in SM are set to "enable adaptive junk mail controls" and I
always use the menu "Mark -> as not junk/scam", and when I do it the messages
are indeed moved to the Inbox, but the day after the same kind of messages are
still sent to Spam folder.

I don't want to add the addresses in a whitelist because it's not a safe
pratice agains spoofing.

Re: Legit emails always tagged as spam

<uhb20u$offg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1130&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1130

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 23:34:38 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 12:34 UTC

Gabriele - onenet wrote on 25/10/23 9:26 pm:
> On 25 Oct 2023 at 06:19:33 CEST, "Daniel65"
> <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>> Gabriele - onenet wrote on 25/10/2023 4:55 am:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> everyday I receive emails from the same trusted senders (eg:
>>> LinkedIn) and they almost all go in the spam folder. Is it
>>> possible to identify if it's SeaMoneky or my email provider that
>>> continue to erroneously tag them as spam?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>> Sort of like what Winston suggested, but, if you go to which ever
>> folder your message is switched to, do you see a "Not Spam"-type
>> button??
>>
>> If so, try it. This might help 'train' your Spam/Junk Filter.
>
> The accounts are all IMAP. Spam/scam emails are moved automatically
> to the designated folder called "Spam?" on my accounts. The settings
> in SM are set to "enable adaptive junk mail controls" and I always
> use the menu "Mark -> as not junk/scam", and when I do it the
> messages are indeed moved to the Inbox, but the day after the same
> kind of messages are still sent to Spam folder.
>
> I don't want to add the addresses in a whitelist because it's not a
> safe pratice agains spoofing.

Sorry, Gabriele, you're outside my 'field of understanding' with IMAP. ;-(
--
Daniel

Re: Legit emails always tagged as spam

<uhb8i5$1ors9$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1131&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1131

From: Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:26:13 +0200
 by: Andrew - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 14:26 UTC

Gabriele - onenet wrote:
> On 25 Oct 2023 at 06:19:33 CEST, "Daniel65" <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Gabriele - onenet wrote on 25/10/2023 4:55 am:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> everyday I receive emails from the same trusted senders (eg:
>>> LinkedIn) and they almost all go in the spam folder. Is it possible
>>> to identify if it's SeaMoneky or my email provider that continue to
>>> erroneously tag them as spam?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>> Sort of like what Winston suggested, but, if you go to which ever folder
>> your message is switched to, do you see a "Not Spam"-type button??
>>
>> If so, try it. This might help 'train' your Spam/Junk Filter.
>

> The accounts are all IMAP.
> Spam/scam emails are moved automatically to the designated folder called
> "Spam?" on my accounts.
> The settings in SM are set to "enable adaptive junk mail controls" and I
> always use the menu "Mark -> as not junk/scam", and when I do it the messages
> are indeed moved to the Inbox, but the day after the same kind of messages are
> still sent to Spam folder.
>
> I don't want to add the addresses in a whitelist because it's not a safe
> pratice agains spoofing.

You may want to follow ..winston's advice and reinitialise your spam
database - at least that's how I interpreted what he said.

Re: Legit emails always tagged as spam

<uhbg6e$sfee$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1132&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#1132

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 09:36:29 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:36 UTC

Gabriele - onenet wrote:
> The accounts are all IMAP.
> Spam/scam emails are moved automatically to the designated folder called
> "Spam?" on my accounts.
> The settings in SM are set to "enable adaptive junk mail controls" and I
> always use the menu "Mark -> as not junk/scam", and when I do it the messages
> are indeed moved to the Inbox, but the day after the same kind of messages are
> still sent to Spam folder.
>
> I don't want to add the addresses in a whitelist because it's not a safe
> pratice agains spoofing.

Don't bother with listing stuff in the address book in the web client.
That's a mid-2000s tactic, and servers generally don't do that kind of
whitelisting anymore, although there may be a handful of exceptions,
especially for smaller providers. Part of it is, as you've noted, the
issues of spoofing, but more so, the techniques used by things such as
SPF, DKIM and DMARC are far more effect at going after that stuff.

The problem with those technologies (especially DMARC, I think) is that
if the necessary records aren't set correctly, then receiving servers
are prone to shunting content into Junk folders as "possible spam".
This is particularly true if there's an intermediary server between
sender and receiver, and stuff generated by automated processes (an
application server that generates mail) is vulnerable, as is traffic
routed through dedicated mailing list providers. If the intermediary
mail sender isn't properly designated as a legitimate sender of the
source message, then that's where you see problems.

If you're having problems with mail from a specific source, such as
LinkedIn, there are two things that you can be doing, but neither
related to Seamonkey.

- From your provider's webmail client, make sure you view every message
that has been mis-classified as Junk, and use the provided tool to
designate as Not Junk. That one will inform the server's filters as to
what you consider to be legitimate. The handling on that is via
Bayesian filter (a separate discussion), where if you explicitly
designate a message as Junk or Not Junk, subsequent messages that are
sufficiently similar will also be handled the same way. By "similar",
that's the full content of the message, including headers and message
body (including embedded HTML content), and not limited to just From: or
Subject: Sometimes it may take a few designations of Not Junk before
the false-positives go away.

- If you have continued problems with false positives, then contact your
mail provider -- that might be sufficient incentive for them to review
their handling of mail from the problem source, and where they can do
further adjustment of their configs.

For this kind of issue, don't bother with Seamonkey's spam-handling
tools. The structure on the server interacts with mail as it's being
delivered, and sometimes, tuning there can be sufficient to force
rejections. If you wait until you see messages in a Junk folder, it's
too late for the server to do anything, and you're interacting with mail
only after it's been received by the server, and the server has chosen
to put in your Junk folder. Designating as Junk or Not Junk in
Seamonkey will not do anything to inform handling by the server's
filtering system.

Ultimately, junk filtering in an email client (Seamonkey or anything
else, including third-party tools) is pretty much useless, and where the
only effective user-level interaction is happening in the web client,
where you're interacting more directly with the server's filtering
system. For false positives and false negatives, Seamonkey is nothing
more than a reporter of what the server is doing.

Smith

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: Legit emails always tagged as spam