The solution to a problem changes the nature of the problem. -- Peer

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of Ubuntu

SubjectAuthor
* Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of UbuntuChris
+* Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of UbuntuBranimir Maksimovic
|`* Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of UbuntuChris
| `* Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of UbuntuBranimir Maksimovic
|  `- Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of UbuntuChris
`* Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of UbuntuPaul
 `- Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of UbuntuChris

1
Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of Ubuntu

<sdoife$hh8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1128&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1128

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:09:02 +0100
 by: Chris - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 09:09 UTC

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup Ubuntu on an Arm-based mac via the QEMU emulator
(wrapped in a gui called UTM) and although I can set-up 20.04 without
any problem, I can't do the same with 18.04.

I do notice that server versions - the only ones available for Arm -
differ in their filenames:
ubuntu-18.04.5-server-arm64.iso
ubuntu-20.04.2-live-server-arm64.iso

I also note that the AMD64 version of 18.04 comes in 'live' and non-live
versions.
ubuntu-18.04.4-live-server-amd64.iso
ubuntu-18.04.4-server-amd64.iso

Does anyone know what the difference is between them and how that would
impact running them in a virtual/emulated environment, please?

Or even better is there a live version of the Arm build anywhere?
Thanks!

BTW I can't just use 20.04 as I need 18.04 for a specific project.

Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of Ubuntu

<u4TLI.18415$Ei1.4806@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1129&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1129

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: branimir.maksimovic@gmail.com (Branimir Maksimovic)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 12:35:38 GMT
 by: Branimir Maksimovic - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 12:35 UTC

On 2021-07-27, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to setup Ubuntu on an Arm-based mac via the QEMU emulator
> (wrapped in a gui called UTM) and although I can set-up 20.04 without
> any problem, I can't do the same with 18.04.
>
> I do notice that server versions - the only ones available for Arm -
> differ in their filenames:
> ubuntu-18.04.5-server-arm64.iso
> ubuntu-20.04.2-live-server-arm64.iso
>
> I also note that the AMD64 version of 18.04 comes in 'live' and non-live
> versions.
> ubuntu-18.04.4-live-server-amd64.iso
> ubuntu-18.04.4-server-amd64.iso
>
> Does anyone know what the difference is between them and how that would
> impact running them in a virtual/emulated environment, please?
>
> Or even better is there a live version of the Arm build anywhere?
> Thanks!
Why don't you just install x86 version?>

--
bmaxa now listens wir brauchen dich #6 by Faust from Ravvivando

Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of Ubuntu

<sdouoj$sni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1130&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1130

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 13:38:43 +0100
 by: Chris - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 12:38 UTC

On 27/07/2021 13:35, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
> On 2021-07-27, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to setup Ubuntu on an Arm-based mac via the QEMU emulator
>> (wrapped in a gui called UTM) and although I can set-up 20.04 without
>> any problem, I can't do the same with 18.04.
>>
>> I do notice that server versions - the only ones available for Arm -
>> differ in their filenames:
>> ubuntu-18.04.5-server-arm64.iso
>> ubuntu-20.04.2-live-server-arm64.iso
>>
>> I also note that the AMD64 version of 18.04 comes in 'live' and non-live
>> versions.
>> ubuntu-18.04.4-live-server-amd64.iso
>> ubuntu-18.04.4-server-amd64.iso
>>
>> Does anyone know what the difference is between them and how that would
>> impact running them in a virtual/emulated environment, please?
>>
>> Or even better is there a live version of the Arm build anywhere?
>> Thanks!
> Why don't you just install x86 version?

Because it doesn't work on the new Arm Macs. I did try just as a
double-check, but it wouldn't recognise the x86 ISO.

>> BTW I can't just use 20.04 as I need 18.04 for a specific project.

Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of Ubuntu

<PpTLI.46740$qk6.34837@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1131&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1131

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: branimir.maksimovic@gmail.com (Branimir Maksimovic)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 12:58:23 GMT
 by: Branimir Maksimovic - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 12:58 UTC

Hm, have you tried this: https://mac.getutm.app/

>>> BTW I can't just use 20.04 as I need 18.04 for a specific project.

--
bmaxa now listens wir brauchen dich #6 by Faust from Ravvivando

Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of Ubuntu

<sdp3tc$1ib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1132&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1132

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:06:36 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 14:06 UTC

Chris wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to setup Ubuntu on an Arm-based mac via the QEMU emulator
> (wrapped in a gui called UTM) and although I can set-up 20.04 without
> any problem, I can't do the same with 18.04.
>
> I do notice that server versions - the only ones available for Arm -
> differ in their filenames:
> ubuntu-18.04.5-server-arm64.iso
> ubuntu-20.04.2-live-server-arm64.iso
>
> I also note that the AMD64 version of 18.04 comes in 'live' and non-live
> versions.
> ubuntu-18.04.4-live-server-amd64.iso
> ubuntu-18.04.4-server-amd64.iso
>
> Does anyone know what the difference is between them and how that would
> impact running them in a virtual/emulated environment, please?
>
> Or even better is there a live version of the Arm build anywhere?
> Thanks!
>
> BTW I can't just use 20.04 as I need 18.04 for a specific project.

arm64 != amd64

Both ARM and x86-64 versions are here, but there's no "live" server one.

https://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/ubuntu-ports-releases/18.04.5/release/

There's no x86-64 in here...

https://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/ubuntu-ports-releases/20.04.2.0/release/

as it would be in here

https://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/ubuntu-releases/20.04.2.0/

*******

As grizzled mountain-man installer person, you care not
for the difference between "live server" and "server".
It does not matter to you. With your Bowie Knife and
BIC Lighter, you can survive anywhere, running down
and killing game with the Bowie Knife, and cooking
the food with the BIC Lighter. For example, if I put
this on the optical disc boot line, you would not even flinch.

console=ttyS0,57600n8

Servers don't run DEs typically. Either one of those
discs won't install gnome for you. But you can still
get to the gnome package afterwards perhaps.

The non-live may have an NCURSES interface for selecting
install options, while the live version allows you to
use the mouse. But you can't be watching Youtube vids
while the server installs, as it's not a full DE on the
disc, just enough graphics to get the job done.

You can select a live disc if you want, but don't
expect miracles. Expect an interface that is
highly curated, and does not allow distractions
while you do the install.

That's what I would expect from these things...

Server == "mountain-men only please" (do you have Bowie Knife ?)

apt search Xorg | less # after server comes up, install a DE
sudo apt install Xorg # only if hardware has a graphics driver in X pkg
# getting this far, is a minimal checkpoint
# try a startx and so on, check your tree xinitrc
# before the startx, to make sure it's valid
apt search gnome | less # check for the various metapackages
sudo apt install gnome # relax, will take a while - if this had
# been on the disc, the disc would be larger

Paul

Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of Ubuntu

<sdp9mq$ap3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1133&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1133

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 16:45:30 +0100
 by: Chris - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 15:45 UTC

On 27/07/2021 13:58, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
> On 2021-07-27, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why don't you just install x86 version?
>>
>> Because it doesn't work on the new Arm Macs. I did try just as a
>> double-check, but it wouldn't recognise the x86 ISO.
>>
> Hm, have you tried this: https://mac.getutm.app/

Yup. That's what I'm using (see OP).

Turns out the issue was a display setting in the emulator which wouldn't
present the NCURSES UI in the non-live edition. Changing the emulator to
be console only fixes it.

Re: Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of Ubuntu

<sdp9u6$g2r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1134&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#1134

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 16:49:25 +0100
 by: Chris - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 15:49 UTC

On 27/07/2021 15:06, Paul wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to setup Ubuntu on an Arm-based mac via the QEMU emulator
>> (wrapped in a gui called UTM) and although I can set-up 20.04 without
>> any problem, I can't do the same with 18.04.
>>
>> I do notice that server versions - the only ones available for Arm -
>> differ in their filenames:
>> ubuntu-18.04.5-server-arm64.iso
>> ubuntu-20.04.2-live-server-arm64.iso
>>
>> I also note that the AMD64 version of 18.04 comes in 'live' and
>> non-live versions.
>> ubuntu-18.04.4-live-server-amd64.iso
>> ubuntu-18.04.4-server-amd64.iso
>>
>> Does anyone know what the difference is between them and how that
>> would impact running them in a virtual/emulated environment, please?
>>
>> Or even better is there a live version of the Arm build anywhere?
>> Thanks!
>>
>> BTW I can't just use 20.04 as I need 18.04 for a specific project.
>
> arm64 != amd64

Yup.

> Both ARM and x86-64 versions are here, but there's no "live" server one.
>
> https://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/ubuntu-ports-releases/18.04.5/release/

Saw that too.

> There's no x86-64 in here...
>
> https://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/ubuntu-ports-releases/20.04.2.0/release/
>
> as it would be in here
>
> https://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/ubuntu-releases/20.04.2.0/
>
> *******
>
> As grizzled mountain-man installer person, you care not
> for the difference between "live server" and "server".
> It does not matter to you. With your Bowie Knife and
> BIC Lighter, you can survive anywhere, running down
> and killing game with the Bowie Knife, and cooking
> the food with the BIC Lighter. For example, if I put
> this on the optical disc boot line, you would not even flinch.
>
>    console=ttyS0,57600n8
>
> Servers don't run DEs typically. Either one of those
> discs won't install gnome for you. But you can still
> get to the gnome package afterwards perhaps.
>
> The non-live may have an NCURSES interface for selecting
> install options, while the live version allows you to
> use the mouse. But you can't be watching Youtube vids
> while the server installs, as it's not a full DE on the
> disc, just enough graphics to get the job done.
>
> You can select a live disc if you want, but don't
> expect miracles. Expect an interface that is
> highly curated, and does not allow distractions
> while you do the install.
>
> That's what I would expect from these things...
>
> Server == "mountain-men only please"  (do you have Bowie Knife ?)
>
> apt search Xorg | less   # after server comes up, install a DE
> sudo apt install Xorg    # only if hardware has a graphics driver in X pkg
>                          # getting this far, is a minimal checkpoint
>                          # try a startx and so on, check your tree xinitrc
>                          # before the startx, to make sure it's valid
> apt search gnome | less  # check for the various metapackages
> sudo apt install gnome   # relax, will take a while -  if this had
>                          # been on the disc, the disc would be larger

So after a bit of fiddling I came to a similar conclusion as you - in a
roundabout way.

You're right that the non-live version has a much more basic interface
than the 'live' one. This is what was causing the issue in the emulator.
Easily fixed in the display settings and I'm up and running :)

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Difference between 'live' and non-live server versions of Ubuntu