From: nospam.IB.Joe@f200.n342.z1.fidonet.org (IB Joe)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: ANSI Ad
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 14:30:33 +1200
 by: IB Joe - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 02:30 UTC

I have a question, g00r00 can answer, or anyone for that matter... Is there any
reason why in the year 2022 other BBSes cannot support ANSI in the message
bases/readers. Mystic handles ANSI in the message areas fine, it displays as
should be when reading the messages. Whereas if you post a message with ANSI
in it, like an Ad, other systems choke on the message.

Is it that difficult to code the message readers to handle ANSI in the
messages?? Not Mystic of course, it deals with it!!

IB Joe
AKA Joe Schweier
SysOp of Joe's BBS
-=JoesBBS.com=-

.... A .GIF is worth a thousand .TXT.

Re: ANSI Ad

<926970433@f200.n342.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1047&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1047

From: nospam.IB.Joe@f200.n342.z1.fidonet.org (IB Joe)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Re: ANSI Ad
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 18:06:45 +1200
 by: IB Joe - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 06:06 UTC

On 08 Mar 2022, Jay Harris said the following...
JH> On 08 Mar 2022, IB Joe said the following...
JH>
JH> IJ> I have a question, g00r00 can answer, or anyone for that matter... Is
JH> IJ> there any reason why in the year 2022 other BBSes cannot support ANSI
JH> IJ> the message bases/readers.
JH>
JH> Modern BBS packages support ANSI in the message bases. Even some
JH> "legacy" BBS packages support ANSI in the message bases (some with more
JH> success than others) while other BBS packages won't display ANSI at all
JH> (showing nothing but garbly goop).
JH>
JH> Since this is a federated network and we can't control who sees what on
JH> which system we tend to cater to the lowest common denominator.
JH>
JH> Some message networks allow ANSI in certain bases only (BBS ads for
JH> example) while others encourage adding an [ANSI] tag in the subject so
JH> those that can't display ANSI can skip those messages.
JH>
JH>
JH> Jay

Interesting... I still run a copy of WINServer and any time I read ANSI on that
BBS it's messed up, pushes the header up. Recently MRO, a Synchronet SysOp was
complaining that there was a hidden clear screen code within my ANSI ad... This
could explain the headers disappearing... I have finally had that come to Jesus
moment with WINServer... May delete it forever... But Synchronet puzzles me
So... Rob et. al. actively works on that project and you'd think that's where I
wouldn't have an issue. I don't think about things, because Mystic handles
this flawlessly...

:) , thanx for your response ...

IB Joe
AKA Joe Schweier
SysOp of Joe's BBS
-=JoesBBS.com=-

.... What do you mean, QWK? It took me over an hour to read!

Re: ANSI Ad

<3556568295@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1048&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1048

From: nospam.Jay.Harris@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 19:30:47 +1200
 by: Jay Harris - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 07:30 UTC

On 08 Mar 2022, IB Joe said the following...
IJ> I have a question, g00r00 can answer, or anyone for that matter... Is
IJ> there any reason why in the year 2022 other BBSes cannot support ANSI in
IJ> the message bases/readers.

Modern BBS packages support ANSI in the message bases. Even some "legacy" BBS
packages support ANSI in the message bases (some with more success than others)
while other BBS packages won't display ANSI at all (showing nothing but garbly
goop).

Since this is a federated network and we can't control who sees what on which
system we tend to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Some message networks allow ANSI in certain bases only (BBS ads for example)
while others encourage adding an [ANSI] tag in the subject so those that can't
display ANSI can skip those messages.

Jay

.... By the time most of us have money to burn, our fire's gone out.

Re: ANSI Ad

<3732129896@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1050&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1050

From: nospam.Jay.Harris@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 21:49:27 +1200
 by: Jay Harris - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 09:49 UTC

On 08 Mar 2022, g00r00 said the following...
g0> Some legacy software accidentally supports ANSI in messages because it
g0> spits out data to the terminal as its saved.
g0>
g0> Mystic renders everything server-side and in the case of the message
g0> reader it presents it to you in a scrollable reading window.

I have a feeling Telegard may have fallen into the accidental category. It
would split out ANSI and it sometimes looked ok, other times it would clear the
screen and the terminal would beep over and over again while displaying a
jumbled mess in fragments.

Mystic does it much better! :)

Jay

.... Everybody is somebody else's weirdo.

Re: ANSI Ad

<3695798822@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1051&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1051

From: nospam.g00r00@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 21:06:48 +1200
 by: g00r00 - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 09:06 UTC

JH> Modern BBS packages support ANSI in the message bases. Even some
JH> "legacy" BBS packages support ANSI in the message bases (some with more

Some legacy software accidentally supports ANSI in messages because it spits
out data to the terminal as its saved.

Mystic renders everything server-side and in the case of the message reader it
presents it to you in a scrollable reading window. You can even upload ANSI
files directly into the editor and it renders properly right in the editor. You
can also switch to a "TheDraw-like" draw mode.

I don't think any other BBS has the same awareness/server-side imaging that
Mystic does. Even offline readers don't. Its a feature that started in Mystic
in the early 2000s and others just haven't found worth implementing, I guess?

.... Fer sell cheep: BBS spel chekker. Wurks grate.

Re: ANSI Ad

<3273927471@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1052&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1052

From: nospam.g00r00@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 21:21:56 +1200
 by: g00r00 - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 09:21 UTC

IJ> I have a question, g00r00 can answer, or anyone for that matter... Is

I think the way Mystic handles this is just something no one else has felt the
need to support? I don't really have a reason why.

.... Tech support is just a busy signal away

Re: ANSI Ad

<3190783143@f200.n342.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1055&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1055

From: nospam.IB.Joe@f200.n342.z1.fidonet.org (IB Joe)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 05:43:53 +1200
 by: IB Joe - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 17:43 UTC

On 08 Mar 2022, g00r00 said the following...
g0> IJ> I have a question, g00r00 can answer, or anyone for that matter... Is
g0>
g0> I think the way Mystic handles this is just something no one else has
g0> felt the need to support? I don't really have a reason why.
g0>

This is what I was thinking all along.

Keep up the good work!!

IB Joe
AKA Joe Schweier
SysOp of Joe's BBS
-=JoesBBS.com=-

.... The dog ate my .REP packet

Re: ANSI Ad

<648245458@f1.n770.z7695.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1120&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1120

From: nospam.Rob.Swindell@f1.n770.z7695.fidonet.org (Rob Swindell)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 12:49:23 +1200
 by: Rob Swindell - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 00:49 UTC

Re: Re: ANSI Ad
By: IB Joe to Jay Harris on Tue Mar 08 2022 06:06 pm

> Synchronet puzzles me So... Rob et. al. actively works on that project and
> you'd think that's where I wouldn't have an issue. I don't think about
> things, because Mystic handles this flawlessly...

So Mystic ignores or strips your clear-screen sequence (while Synchronet does
not)? Please clarify what "handles flawlessly" means in this context.
--
digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #21:
Karl: Coffee makes me nervous when I drink it. Mmm.
Norco, CA WX: 81.8�F, 28.0% humidity, 7 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

computers / alt.bbs.mystic / Re: ANSI Ad